Thailand has an aircraft carrier without any aircraft

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Thailand has an aircraft carrier without any aircraft

Post by hhfarang »

My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Re: Thailand has an aircraft carrier without any aircraft

Post by NOKYAI »

Same as the UK then! Last I heard we were going to borrow some from the French for F sake!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

You farangs are so picky!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

NOKYAI wrote:Same as the UK then! Last I heard we were going to borrow some from the French for F sake!
What happened to the Arc Royal (sp)?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Ark Royal went to the knackers yard

We Brits are treating ourselves to two new toys

H.M.S Queen Elizabeth and H.M.S. Prince of Wales

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/queenelizabeth
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

The 'old boys' among us may remember when the Thai navy's aircraft carrier was moored very close to H.H.
It was about 20yrs ago, & it's sole purpose was to bring in water pumps due to H.H. being flooded at that time!
I did not hear the bit that explained how the pumps got ashore..?
(Now this was a story I heard back then from the likes of Billy, Jon Jenkins, & Peter W.)
:cheers:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Dare I ask--was money appropriated for buying the planes and has disappeared if so--better shut this thread down.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What's left of the old Harriers sit at U-Tapao and used as an attraction for the yearly Children's Day open house. Below from Wiki:

" The carrier was designed to operate an air group of up to six AV-8S Matador V/STOL aircraft, plus four to six S-70B Seahawk helicopters.[1][9] Chakri Naruebet is also capable of carrying up to fourteen additional helicopters; a mix of Sikorsky Sea King, Sikorsky S-76, and CH-47 Chinook.[1] There is only enough hangar space for ten aircraft.[4][9]

The Matador is a first generation export version of the Hawker Siddeley Harrier, acquired secondhand from the Spanish Navy in 1997.[5][10] The nine Spanish aircraft (seven standard version plus two TAV-8S trainer aircraft) were refurbished by Construcciones Aeronáuticas SA firm before delivery.[10] By 1999, only one aircraft was operational, and the RTN was looking for other first-generation Harriers to cannibalize for spares.[10][11] In 2003, the navy attempted to acquire several second-generation,ex-Royal Navy Sea Harrier FA2 aircraft from British Aerospace, but the deal did not go ahead.[12] The inoperative Matadors were finally eliminated from service lists in 2006.[13] Thailand was the last remaining government using first generation Harrier airframes....."
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Perhaps I'm dumb but what is the threat. I think the days of Burma attacking Thai are over, Laos and Cambodia do not look like much of a threat and as for China. If they take it into their minds to attack, occupy and conquer Thai--the only question would be--What are they going to do in the afternoon?
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

You would have though that with the military's propensity here for 'face' and prestige that they would have found the funds to make the aircraft carrier work and be properly operational. FFS, they (governments or military here) find the funds for all sorts of ridiculous crap that hits the news...no subjects (and there are many) mentioned.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

They have an aircraft carrier bought at Spanish navy for a discount price. They have it and they are happy like a child with a new toy.
That's Thai brain at all level.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

oakdale160 wrote:Perhaps I'm dumb but what is the threat. I think the days of Burma attacking Thai are over, Laos and Cambodia do not look like much of a threat and as for China. If they take it into their minds to attack, occupy and conquer Thai--the only question would be--What are they going to do in the afternoon?
It probably depends on the transition to war periodicity, which certainly for Western nations was reckoned as being about 2 years. In that period, I'd assume Thailand would form some major allegiances/call in a few favours, which might turn out to be stepping stones en-route.

Yes, the Chinese have apparently got some decent weapons and a lot of men, but they also have to forge a logistical chain as well. There could be a lot of problems in maintaining that logistical chain.

Of course, Thailand could throw in the towel as in WWII, but of course, they'd see them coming this time. Thailand don't have unsubstantial forces themselves, so it might not be the walkover you expect.

Yes, one on one on a single battlefield, sheer weight of numbers gives it to the Chinese, but it's a lot more complicated than that.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Could that be why China is being so 'helpful' in advising and financing a railway from China thru Laos to the Thai border??
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Gosh, China wants to be "friends" with Thailand and help build rail infrastructure. Why would you ever suggest that they have ulterior motives?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If they put their troops onto a Thai train, they'd be late for the war :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20