Foreign tourists could be charged $10 for entering Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Foreign tourists could be charged $10 for entering Thailand

Post by buksida »

In an interview with Voice TV, Yuthasak said foreign tourists would be charged USD$10 (360 baht) each time they enter Thailand, whether by air, land or sea. Among its uses, he said, would be enhancing security measures.

A plan to charge foreign tourists 360 baht each time they enter the kingdom as a fee to maintain and improve tourist attractions has been proposed by the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

Yuthasak Supasorn, governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, suggested in an interview that money collected from the fees could be reinvested in the tourism throughout the kingdom, but almost as soon as the idea was suggested, it was played down by his own organization.

In an interview with Voice TV, Yuthasak said foreign tourists would be charged USD$10 (360 baht) each time they enter Thailand, whether by air, land or sea. Among its uses, he said, would be enhancing security measures.

“It will be collected under the name of a tourist attraction administration fee,” Yuthasak said. “We will use the money to maintain and improve security systems of tourist attractions across the country, in order to support the tourism sector, which has been growing steadily.”

The plan’s prospects were unclear, however. Hours after the Voice TV published the interview, an official at the tourism authority said the idea was only Yuthasak’s personal idea.

Source: TBN

Related: Immigration set for overhaul
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Foreign tourists could be charged $10 for entering Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

I wonder if that includes those of us who live here.

From what I can tell, a visa to visit Thailand for somebody from the UK is cheaper than visiting neighbouring countries. I don't think $10 will change that much.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Many countries do the same or similar; UAE now charges a per night fee for visitors; Qatar charges a one off entry fee which must be charged to a credit card, no credit card no entry; Indonesia charges an exit fee.

Is it a big deal? Not really as long as one knows before hand.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

These scams, sorry I mean schemes, or then again perhaps I mean scams, are proposed every so often. There was onea few years ago, a fee on arrival which would guarantee you ER care (not in-patient care) if you were sick or in an accident.
and after all, security at tourist attractions is the number one concern of tourists.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I don't think this will break the bank for visitors and have been charged around $20 for a tourist visa each time I've visited Turkey, for example. The US government charged me $550 for an L1 visa back in 2005, which didn't put me off either. Come to think of it, you have to pay a fiver to get out of Wales! :roll:

It does make me laugh to think that the money will go to "maintain and improve the securty systems of tourist attractions across the country". On the one hand they may need to charge more than $10 to achieve this and on the other I can't help thinking that absolutely 0% of any revenue collected will ever get to any tourist attraction.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

StevePIraq wrote:Indonesia charges an exit fee.
As did Thailand for its own citizens a long time ago. I remember the first time I left the country with Mrs BB. I'd just given what Thai cash I had left to her family. We got to Immigration, and they sent us back to get her exit voucher, which meant I had to change more real money to pay the 1000 Baht exit fee :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

J.J.B. wrote: Come to think of it, you have to pay a fiver to get out of Wales! :roll:
Getting in of course........ and it's £6.50 these days (for a car that is...)!! :banghead:

As for Thailand, can't see US$10 breaking the bank - although what happens if you've already paid for a visa?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Will the Chinese come under the banner of 'Foreign Tourists' too? Or will that fee be absorbed into their 'holiday package' deal?..If not at least TaT can say they HAVE actually spent some money while they were here..555!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

30 Million x $10, that should just about buy a new submarine. But it must be that they are going to stop charging ALL Farangs double entry prices to tourist places, so that will even it out! :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

But the OP is about charging aliens an extra to support tourist attractions when we're already paying heaven knows how much more in the first instance.
Maybe we're cleaning up after all the Thais litter their attractions?
Or is it security after the Erawan Shrine?
Muppets.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I think that we need to look at the OP

"The plan’s prospects were unclear, however. Hours after the Voice TV published the interview, an official at the tourism authority said the idea was only Yuthasak’s personal idea."

A personal idea!! How many personal ideas have we read over the years that never progress further than that?
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain