Bangkok high rise fire

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Bangkok high rise fire

Post by Nereus »

1 thought dead, others trapped in Bangkok high-rise fire

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -rise-fire

At least one person is believed to have been killed and others trapped by a fire raging in a 10-storey building in Bangkok’s Yannawa district on Friday.

The blaze broke out around 10.30am on the eighth floor of the tower on Soi Narathiwat Ratchanakharin 18 and spread quickly to upper storeys as firemen rushed to the scene near the Chan intersection, police saig.

The fire was contained at around 1pm, with cracks visible on the structure. The building is the residence of the family and relatives of Vikrom Aisiri, a former Democrat MP and owner of Phuket Air.
high rise fire.jpg
high rise fire.jpg (38.5 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
That's some fire! Have to wonder just what was in there to cause such an intense blaze.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Bangkok high rise fire

Post by Khundon1975 »

I can think of nothing worse, than to be trapped in a high rise, on a floor above the fire.
Hope all the others got out.

With most fires, when the heat gets so high, flash over can spread the fire with amazing speed and things that you think would never burn, do.

I wonder, did they have fire/smoke detectors in the building. If they had automatic water sprinklers fitted, I doubt the fire could have gotten so big. It looks fairly new, so I would imagine they did, but who knows.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

It is a terrible tragedy that could have been a lot worse. Thank goodness the fire brigade was only around the corner in Chan Rd and had only a relatively short distance to travel. The family have only recently renovated the premises and spent quite a lot on revamping Satthorn Place. It was re opened late last year.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

As it's a private residence I wonder if it is subject to the same building regulations as condominiums I.e. Fire escapes, fire fighting equipment, alarms etc and of course smoke detectors and sprinkler systems as already mentioned.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

I can think of nothing worse, than to be trapped in a high rise, on a floor above the fire.

How about this.!!
man ID’d from body parts in river.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

bert91157 wrote:I can think of nothing worse, than to be trapped in a high rise, on a floor above the fire.

How about this.!!
man ID’d from body parts in river.

Bert
I was not asking you for a comparison between the fire in the OP where someone died and your idea of a stupid comparison on how people have died in tragic circumstances.

If you want to make a joke out of the OP, then go ahead and look a complete tw@t
:guns:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Bristolian wrote:As it's a private residence I wonder if it is subject to the same building regulations as condominiums I.e. Fire escapes, fire fighting equipment, alarms etc and of course smoke detectors and sprinkler systems as already mentioned.
Bristolian

I'm not sure if the building was originally constructed as a private residence or was converted from offices to a residence.
It seems that many members of the same family lived in apartments in the block.

If it were me, I would certainly have installed all the necessary fire control systems. If, in this particular fire, they had been installed, then the fire would not have got out of hand, as sprinkler system would have stopped the fire spreading so far and so fast.

Maybe, any future investigation will shed light on what, if any, fire precautions were installed in the building.
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

Khundon

I was not making a joke you A$$ho!e. I was challenging your opinion
I can think of nothing worse,
by providing another option. :banghead: :cuss: If that makes me a twat then fine.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

^Well done, you have recognised you are a Tw@t. That, is at least, a start.

The murdered person that was found in the river, has a family who may have read your stupid post.
But I don't expect you gave that a single thought did you! Your sort never do.

Idiots like you, engage their fingers on the keyboard, whilst their brains are in off mode.

The OP is a serious subject, best keep away, if you cannot understand that.

Try the other Thailand forum, they welcome posters who are only able to engage in a serious subject, with stupid posts.

I'm sure you will shine there.

:guns:
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Bert Name calling and flaming will not be tolerated on the forum please read the terms and conditions that you agreed too when you signed up.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

Khundon!!

Name calling and flaming will not be tolerated on the forum please read the terms and conditions that you agreed too when you signed up.

Try the other Thailand forum, they welcome posters who are only able to engage in a serious subject, with stupid posts.

I'm sure you will shine there.

:butt: :thanks: for your opinion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

No need to demolish fire-ravaged building, says expert

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 78736.html

THE Engineering Institute of Thailand has said after an inspection that the fire-ravaged high-rise in Bangkok’s Yannawa district can be saved.

He said there was little damage on the first and second floors but severe damage from floors three to seven, especially the roof of the seventh floor, which is the floor of the eighth floor.
A crack was found on the roof of the seventh floor and it needed to be demolished and relaid.

Suchatvee said there were no fire extinguishers and fire alarms in the building, as it was constructed in 1991 when the building control law was not yet implemented.
He said further investigation would be done over the next week to get a more accurate assessment.

Suchatvee added that many buildings were constructed before the building control law was enacted, so the owners of those buildings needed to ensure that they complied with the law.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Bert.
You posted back in September, on the “End Rabies Day” thread, (a serious thread on a serious subject to many forum users), a “shoot the dogs” post, instead of giving the forum users any sensible input on the subject.

Once again you disrupt a serious subject, despite a moderator warning you against it.

Cutting and pasting a MODS warning meant for you, is not clever, nor does it add anything to the discussion.
Also, your use of a Trouser Dropping emotion, in a thread about people dying in a fire, could offend people, especially relatives of the deceased.

FYO, I tried the other forum mentioned a long time ago, but found it contaminated with many posters, who had a mindset not dissimilar to yours, so I stopped using it.

:offtopic:
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Nereus :shock:

Quote from the link you posted.
"Suchatvee said there were no fire extinguishers and fire alarms in the building, as it was constructed in 1991 when the building control law was not yet implemented.

He said further investigation would be done over the next week to get a more accurate assessment.

Suchatvee added that many buildings were constructed before the building control law was enacted, so the owners of those buildings needed to ensure that they complied with the law".Suchatvee Suwansawat, the president of the institute, revealed after a 30-minute inspection that the fire started on the third floor near a kitchen and rapidly spread to higher floors due to the building's wooden stairwell.

So, if you live in a high rise built before 1991, then it could be a death trap!
I wonder just how many of the high rises in Thailand, built since 1991, comply with the regulations.
It would worry me if I lived in one.

Thailand never ceases to amaze me, when it comes to personal safety!

I presume that the owners of the building were wealthy people and could well have afforded to have the necessary fire suppression systems installed, yet they chose not to. Putting themselves and their families at risk, especially those on the upper floors.

It seems that this building had a wooden stairwell. A perfect way to spread fire up through the building.

I would have thought that a building of that height, at the very least, would have a concrete stairwell, with fireproof walls!
I would be deeply suspect of any “official inspection” of the tower block, especially the integrity of the concrete floors and support columns and how much the heat had affected the overall structural integrity of the building.

Over the last 25 years, I have lived in several thatched cottages and have had to jump through so many hoops by the local councils and the insurance companies, in order to get fire insurance.

We had to fit every detector/fire suppression system known to man and in one house, that was semi detached, we had to have an electrical safety test on the neighbours house carried out, before any insurance could be obtained!

But that is in the UK and as we know, TIT.
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

You posted back in September, on the “End Rabies Day” thread, (a serious thread on a serious subject to many forum users), a “shoot the dogs” post, instead of giving the forum users any sensible input on the subject
It was a sensible input. There are to many stray dogs and they should be culled. Just because you don't agree with my views, does not make them any less valid :banghead:

Once again you disrupt a serious subject, despite a moderator warning you against it.
Cutting and pasting a MODS warning meant for you, is not clever, nor does it add anything to the discussion.
I felt you should share the warning as you where the one who used abusive terms first :tsk:

Anyway, getting back to the fire. I am wondering if it was started accidentally or if it was malicious. The family are wealthy and have political back grounds after all.