83.5% workforce in Thailand is unskilled, lowest in ASEAN

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

83.5% workforce in Thailand is unskilled, lowest in ASEAN

Post by buksida »

According to the World Bank (WB), Thailand will face the biggest shortage of skilled labour in the Asean region, while an academic has proposed the implementation of area-based education in order to give students the right skills for the job market.

Kiatanan Ruankaew, deputy director general of Dhurakij Pundit University's research department, revealed the WB survey results recently, which showed that 83.5 per cent of the workforce in Thailand is unskilled. This puts Thailand's skilled workforce at the lowest proportion among other Asean countries, followed by Malaysia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines. The bank blames this on the Thai education system, which has resulted in the country's lack of competitiveness.

The survey, which was conducted between 2006 and 2009, also shows that only 38.8 per cent of workers are suitable for the job they are doing - once again putting Thailand at the lowest in Asean.

Kiatana explained that the Thai education system failed to provide the right skills to people, resulting in the creation of a workforce that does not match the jobs available. Hence, he said, change is necessary so students can be armed with the right skills to meet employers' needs.

Full Story: Nation

Thought: There you go, the reason why services, stores and outlets are full of dingbats playing with their phones!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: 83.5% workforce in Thailand is unskilled, lowest in ASEAN

Post by oakdale160 »

But 100% are suitable for doing their job 'Thai way" so there is no problem.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

There appears to be minimal training in Thailand, maybe the big car companies and other major manufacturing companies but certainly no construction skills, that's why everything ends up botched up and has to be done again. It is Thailand is there problem
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
U.Kvarme
Amateur
Amateur

Post by U.Kvarme »

As Thai people, this kind of article makes me embarrased on my country. It is not only the education system but also the workers attitude in developing themselves. Do you think the worker who work in construction sites and get pay 300-500 baht a day will consider about improve their skills or they do consider about sufficient money to feed their family in one day.
Talking about this topic , I need more than a week and my blood pressure is being raised up by the shame:-(
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

U.K. Kvarma, if more of your people had the same mindset as yourself, then this problem wouldn't exist. I congratulate you for thinking the way you do and sorry that you need to feel shameful for your fellow countrymen.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

U.Kvarme wrote:As Thai people, this kind of article makes me embarrased on my country. It is not only the education system but also the workers attitude in developing themselves. Do you think the worker who work in construction sites and get pay 300-500 baht a day will consider about work in construction sites and get pay 300-500 baht a day will consider about improve their skills or they do consider about sufficient money to feed their work in construction sites and get pay 300-500 baht a day will consider about improve their skills or they do consider about sufficient money to feed their family in one day.
Talking about this topic , I need more than a week and my blood pressure is being raised up by the shame:-(
would be nice to hear about your way to your doctor grade,are you comming from a poor or rich family or is it your Norwegian family that help you ?
Have you ever worked 12 hours work in construction sites and get pay 300-500 baht a day,and if you have, did you have power til improve your skills ?
I have no problem at all how you did it ,could just be interressting to hear.

:cheers: :cheers:
U.Kvarme
Amateur
Amateur

Re: 83.5% workforce in Thailand is unskilled.

Post by U.Kvarme »

HHTel wrote:U.K. Kvarma, if more of your people had the same mindset as yourself, then this problem wouldn't exist. I congratulate you for thinking the way you do and sorry that you need to feel shameful for your fellow countrymen.
Thanks a million for your compliment. Idealistically I hope the reform this time should be succesful with the whole system but it will take time. I am not supporting any political party. My family runs hotel business in the south. We also have a problem In lakking skilled staff. The good ones wanted to move to Phuket which they could earn more. (The wage rate is Varis's due to the city of workplaces) So we have to get what we could acquire. When the rubber price was rocket high. Most of lokal people wanted to work in rubber plantations. AS well AS the farmer in I-Sarn don't want to work as a labor in construction sites when the rive price is pretty high and they go to BKK to get a dialy job when it's out of the senson. Can you please imagine how the Gov can have the right project to improve them when they often move in and out. Moreover any goverment project are slowly launched and then it is out of date or the new government is taking over. LOL. I haven't mentioned about the educational system yet but I think it is enough for me to embarass my homeland.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I am fascinated by the 5star hotel industry. They are almost all Thai owned but the upper management is almost 100% foreign, mostly German and Swiss people. They train their staff well, expect that their staff be very professional,provide good service and have a very low turnover of staff. Thai people working in the hotels take it for granted that the GM will be foreign and recognise that they can enforce discipline better than a Thai manager would.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

bsdk1960 wrote:
U.Kvarme wrote:As Thai people, this kind of article makes me embarrased on my country. It is not only the education system but also the workers attitude in developing themselves. Do you think the worker who work in construction sites and get pay 300-500 baht a day will consider about work in construction sites and get pay 300-500 baht a day will consider about improve their skills or they do consider about sufficient money to feed their work in construction sites and get pay 300-500 baht a day will consider about improve their skills or they do consider about sufficient money to feed their family in one day.
would be nice to hear about your way to your doctor grade,are you comming from a poor or rich family or is it your Norwegian family that help you ?
Have you ever worked 12 hours work in construction sites and get pay 300-500 baht a day,and if you have, did you have power til improve your skills ?

Dont need to answer my question, after reading your answer to HHTel I get the point.

Btw. all over the world people move to were the salary are higher and the jobs is

U.Kvarme
Amateur
Amateur

Post by U.Kvarme »

bsdk1960 wrote:

Sorry for late reply, I was madly pissed about this topic haha. I came from normal family, my father was a general in the army force and retired several years ago. My mom was a teacher at uni and it is the reason I have had to continue the doctorate according to my commitment with her before she died. I graduated in Economics and worked in one bank for 16 years as regional marketing manager before I was fooled by one farang who was the guest at my family hotel business and moved to Norway since then. It may be my destiny LOL:

In Norway and other western countries, I could see that the image of Thai women is not so good just poor people who need to upgrade the quality of life by moving there or with the kids from previous marriage and being supported by the guys. I was struggled at the first few year and tried my best to change that image hahaha.

I was so arrogant and refused all support from my man until my account was almost empty. Getting support was a tough feeling for me when I used to earn by myself but I finally had to. I decided to sell one of my lands in Bangkok and bought a house together with my man in Norway and paid my own tuition. Now I am ready to move back after 2 years of coursework is done. The first phase of survey will be held in Norway and second phase in Thailand:-)
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Re-opening a can of worms...

Education system unfortunately is based on rote and 'the teacher is always right' and 'never wrong' if in doubt refer to statement number one. English as a teaching language never really took off (even today) and many people are self-taught because they needed to get on the internet in the days before multiple languages.
Note that many are still not at ease with their own language.
University graduates only know basic academics and are not equipped to deal with work in the real world. They'd rather use the computer to get on whatever social media program is the rage and use company bandwidth on company time and get miffed when are reminded they are actually there to work.
School textbooks are a joke (compared to the newer English program textbook contents) and the dedicated teachers are frowned down on by their colleagues. Many bow to the pressure.

Construction workers only know what they pick up from the other guys who are doing the work. Sort of like the blind leading the blind.(I have personally called a work stoppage our subcontractors were supposedly qualified to be doing - better than waiting for the building to inevitably collapse)
So the welders, masons and whatever else you have out there are not really skilled. Those of them who do go to learn a skill (usually a vocational institute) concentrate on making homemade guns and engaging in war games with the neighbouring vocational institutes. This ensures a high turnout at the Annual Darwin Awards ceremonies.

I have seen some people work hard on the farms and rubber estates. I salute these people who try their best to make a go of what is already a difficult situation. Many are actually happy, but with consumerism comes the need for a pickup truck and other trappings they never really needed in the first place.
Then there are those who would let their partner slog while lazing under the tree with half a bottle of local hooch.

Opportunity does not really exist outside the capital so many people especially from the Northeast have migrated there to earn a better living. This has left a bit of a vacuum and this is being filled with migrants from other countries - to work on the rubber and palm oil estates, chicken factories, petrol stations upcountry - many provision shops now have signage which is neither Thai nor English. Street vendors at the 'talad nat' also speak these other languages today.

I could go on. But I won't.
วินเชนท์
U.Kvarme
Amateur
Amateur

Post by U.Kvarme »

[quote="VincentD"]

:cheers: with my respect especially the third paragraph:-)