Govt clampdown on illegal travel agencies and car rental businesses

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Govt clampdown on illegal travel agencies and car rental businesses

Post by buksida »

Minister of Tourism Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul is urgently combating illegal travel agencies by setting up a special committee to tackle the problem.

The minister said travel agencies which used Thai nationals as nominees affected Thai tourism businesses. The committee had inspected 245 travel agencies and found that 22 of them had likely used nominees. There were also 113 illegal tour guides from a total 1,439 tour guides checked by the committee, said the minister.

The ministry was collaborating with relevant units in dealing with unreasonably cheap trips for Chinese tourists.

The Department of Tourism, the Thai Car Rental Association and the Department of Land Transport are working together in drafting ministerial regulations to regulate car rental businesses which have become more popular among tourists. The regulations are expected to take effect within three months.

Ms.Kobkarn added that the current number of tourists and their spending grew as planned at 274.76 billion baht or a 18.57% increase compared to the same period last year.

Source: PRD
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Govt clampdown on illegal travel agencies and car rental businesses

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:also 113 illegal tour guides from a total 1,439 tour guides checked by the committee
OK, obviously my ignorance here, but I honestly didn't realise there was such a thing as an illegal tour guide. Do they have to gain a qualification on the area they are guiding you through before they can become legal? Tour guides to me have been somebody with a bit of local knowledge - I've never really considered their backgrounds.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think they need a license, yes.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Do they have to gain a qualification on the area they are guiding you through before they can become legal?
Thai tour guides have to pass an exam but in some cases it looks like the questions can't be too hard. I was once told by a tourist police in Kanjanaburi that they are worried the foreigners might give wrong kind of information about Thailand, thus being a tour guide is forbidden for foreigners.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

One thing that I've noticed over the last couple of years is that there are large numbers of Russian tour reps. wandering around Suvarnabhumi, seemingly unbothered by any officialdom.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

Bamboo Grove wrote:
Do they have to gain a qualification on the area they are guiding you through before they can become legal?
Thai tour guides have to pass an exam but in some cases it looks like the questions can't be too hard. I was once told by a tourist police in Kanjanaburi that they are worried the foreigners might give wrong kind of information about Thailand, thus being a tour guide is forbidden for foreigners.
The tourist policeman was correct a foreigner tour guide might tell the truth, can't have that happening. What would happen if tourists new the gem and souvenir shops were not really part of the tour!
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

HHCanuck wrote:
The tourist policeman was correct a foreigner tour guide might tell the truth, can't have that happening. What would happen if tourists new the gem and souvenir shops were not really part of the tour!
I agree, also they will not tell any other points of history or culture of Thailand except what has been officially approved.