Thailand has third most suicides in the world

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Thailand has third most suicides in the world

Post by buksida »

4,000 Thais take their own lives every year, Public Health Ministry says

BROKEN hearts and family issues were the most common reasons for Thais committing suicide, averaging around 300 a month or 4,000 cases a year, making it the third country with the most suicides, Public Health Ministry spokesman and psychiatrist Dr Yongyuth Wongpiromsan said.

Japan reported the highest number of suicides, followed by Sweden and Scandinavian countries.

Yongyuth, also chief adviser to the Mental Health Department (MHD), said the most commonly used methods were hanging (70 per cent), poisoning (20 per cent) and shooting (10 per cent).

He said most suicides were committed by men.

Major contributing factors included loss of self-control following excessive drinking of alcohol; health issues such as depression or chronic illness as many people, especially the elderly, did not want to be a burden on their children; family issues such as domestic violence; disappointment in love and the feeling of being abandoned or neglected, he added.

"In Thailand, most suicide cases involved people in the working age - late 20s to 50s - who suffered from conflict in love, family issues, were overwhelmed by debt, as well as stress from work," he said.

This affected the country's labour situation as Thailand's ratio of working-age to suicide was now at six per 100,000 population. He urged people to seek advice from the MHD hotline 1667.

Wipawan (assumed name), a 25-year-old who attempted to take her life by consuming poison, recalled that stress and disappointment from love conflict drove her to attempt suicide on an impulse. She felt she had no other way out. "I was fighting with my boyfriend so I had this thought that I didn't want to live anymore. It felt like I was at a dead-end so I drank toilet detergent. I was sent to hospital and the doctor saved me.

"It was very painful afterwards; I couldn't eat or even swallow my saliva and I felt like 'being in hell while alive'. I was hospitalised for more than three weeks," she recalled.

Source: The Nation
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand has third most suicides in the world

Post by oakdale160 »

This may be true and is very sad.
However, we have all been aware that a significant number of deaths of farang have been identified as suicides when there is a doubt about this diagnosis. They are categorized as this by the police who are unable or unwilling to investigate the deaths in a competent manner. The 'Flying Farangs" who plunge from balconies and the guy who hung himself after tying his hands behind his back come to mind.