Thailand's infamous Tiger Temple loses its cats

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Thailand's infamous Tiger Temple loses its cats

Post by hhfarang »

"BANGKOK, Thailand — It’s among the dodgiest attractions in Asia: A so-called holy site where tourists pay to spoon with apex predators.

Sound like a bad idea? It is. The “Tiger Temple,” a monastery-cum-wildlife park in western Thailand staffed by orange-robed Buddhist monks, is roundly condemned by conservationists. It’s more of a hardcore petting zoo than a place of worship.

And its over-cuddled star attractions live in stark captivity instead of their natural jungle habitat — all to generate cash from backpackers eager for extreme wildlife selfies.

Now, after two decades of operation, the infamous temple is finally losing its tigers. Thai authorities have denied the temple’s attempt to register as a zoo. Since the end of January, wildlife officers have sedated a total of 10 tigers and hoisted them by crane onto trucks bound for government-run shelters.

This will continue at a steady clip: Five tigers confiscated per month, says the temple’s lawyer, who spoke to the Thai news outlet Khaosod. Officials are expected to keep this up until all 140-plus tigers are removed.

Authorities have long shown reluctance to shut down the Tiger Temple even as it drowns in scandal. For starters, tending to more than 100 giant carnivores is costly and, in government care, these expenses won’t be offset by tourist dollars.

A Thai Buddhist monk feeds water to a tiger at the "Tiger Temple," in Saiyok district in Kanchanaburi province, west of Bangkok, Thursday, Feb. 12, 2015. (Photo: Sakchai Lalit, AP)

Sending them into the wild is not an option. By the temple’s own admission, the tigers “have been hand-raised in captivity and lack the necessary skills to survive in the jungle.”

Worse yet, the temple has aggressively resisted intrusion. Last year, when officials wielding assault rifles raided the temple on suspicion of wildlife trafficking, monks rallied locals to block their path. (And in Thailand, officers with guns smacking Buddhist monks out of the way is generally not condoned — even if the monks are engaging in mischief.)

The temple is accused of a host of offenses from illegal breeding to housing the tigers in sub-par conditions. A recent National Geographic exposé gathered evidence suggesting that the temple has even sold tigers on the black market.

But the temple’s main source of income (which is roughly $3 million per year, according to National Geographic) is cash forked over by tourists. They come in droves, usually via organized tours, spending up to $200 to cuddle with tigers or feed cubs milk from a baby bottle.

A senior wildlife adviser with World Animal Protection, Jan Schmidt-Burbach, previously told GlobalPost that tigers are made docile when they’re “forcefully separated at an early age from their mothers and often are forced into submission by cruel training so that they will obey their handlers and not cause injuries to people.”

The Tiger Temple’s disreputable conduct is well documented. But no amount of scandal seems to keep tourists away. In January, even as the government’s campaign to confiscate tigers filled the press, GlobalPost observed a parking lot full of tour buses outside the temple, located in the far-flung province of Kanchanaburi.

“We know that most people looking for a wild animal encounter want to do so because they love animals,” Schmidt-Burbach said. “They’re simply unaware of the cruelty that goes on behind the scenes.” "

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... /81258800/
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: Thailand's infamous Tiger Temple loses its cats

Post by Vital Spark »

That's really good news. It's a dreadful place.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Just drove passed there 30 minutes ago, not on my list of places to visit.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Went there a couple of years ago. Could tell what it would be like before we went in. Turned around and left again.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My opinion is that it's not run by Monks, it's run by men dressed up in orange robes with shaved heads. There is nothing religious or pious about the place. Those guys are there to collect money, plain and simple. Bald business men in orange suits. :roll: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

About time,have never been there but reading and seen many video it looks like a another money machine for those "munks".
5 per month will take 2 years + if they will still breathing on them maybe 3 years,but good the start move them away from this place,can only hope they will be treated better where ever they go.

:cheers: :cheers:
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Hey HHfarang, are you back visiting Thailand again?
Thanks for this story, as I have always wondered if this
place was a pure as some of my relatives were saying it was.
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Things have changed Stargeezer. The temple has now been designated a zoo and the tigers will remain, about 146 of them. :( Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

^ Typical Thai maneuver, change the name and keep the money. :duck:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

They have been cynically granted a license because it's a tourist attraction and the temple is....well, a temple. Consern for the animals welfare has nothing to do with it and there is no thought that perhaps such a place is an ill-advised concept. Nothing more than irresponsible tourist gimmicky BS.

Such an aweful place it is and full of contadictions about so many things. Sadly, the moron tourists keep coming for a cheap selfie and that's all that matters.

This temple even traded tigers to somewhere as some have "disappeared" and they still get a license......beggars belief!
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Stargeezer wrote:Hey HHfarang, are you back visiting Thailand again?
Thanks for this story, as I have always wondered if this
place was a pure as some of my relatives were saying it was.
Stargeezer
No... now in my second year back in the states wondering why I ever let the missus talk me into moving there. :cuss: :banghead:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Whistleblower faces down threats in tiger temple cat fight

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -cat-fight

"The threats began almost immediately after Soochaphong Boonserm went to the police.

"The next time I see you I'm going to beat your face," read one of the private Facebook messages.

They were being sent by dek wat -- temple boys -- from Wat Pha Luang Ta Bua Yanasampanno in Kanchanaburi, better known as the Tiger Temple.

Mr Soochaphong, a lawyer who had done pro bono work for the temple for several years, had just handed over a large body of evidence which he says proves the temple's involvement in wildlife trafficking."......
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

This temple should be shut down period.....end of.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Absolutely, but it won't be. When I think of that wildlife rescue sanctuary (can't remember the name) in Petchaburi run by a farang, which had all the well-cared for animals removed due to some ridiculous paperwork problem, it really makes my blood boil. :cuss:

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Authorities prevail in Tiger Temple cat-and-mouse game

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... mouse-game

KANCHANABURI – Wildlife officials prevailed in a day-long cat-and-mouse game with intransigent monks over custody of 137 tigers on Monday, winning a court order to allow them to enter the monastery and finally begin taking the animals.

They gathered up three big cats and transported them away on Monday. Tuesday morning, they returned and quickly captured and removed three more. (long report in Bangkok Post)
And then they go and jam the poor bloody things in small cages!
tigers.jpg
tigers.jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!