Foreign pedestrian killed in road accident outside market village

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Foreign pedestrian killed in road accident outside market village

Post by HHTel »

This is a good clip of how much drivers here take notice of traffic lights

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: foreign pedestrian killed ourside market village this afternoon

Post by Homer »

europtimiste wrote:oakdale160: NO..NO..No..more traffic lights are not desirable. Just a pedestrian crossing on the road and maybe a warning: LOOK ON YOUR LEFT BEFORE CROSSING. Many tourists are confused with the left hand driving.
In countries that drive on the left, one looks to the RIGHT to see oncoming traffic before crossing.

Bringing one's pedestrian habits from a right-driving country to a left-driving can be fatal. In Kazakhstan they drive on the right.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

DSB wrote:I passed the crossing at MV earlier this afternoon after todays accident, and saw the emergency teams with someone directing traffic. AS BB said earlier, when someone does stop to let pedestrians cross, some idiot rushes past on the inside, and not just motorbikes.
Yes, you're quite right, they all shoot past wherever they can. It must sound as if I'm very anti-motorcycle. The problem is that motorcyclists are experts at squeezing through very small gaps, and will if they think they can. A motorcycle is difficult to see as it passes beside my car and many other cars. Many of the people crossing the road at that point will have arrived by public transport because they are on holiday. They will not be expecting a motorcycle to come charging through, especially if 2 cars are already giving way to them.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

On demand pedestrian crossing lights would be good.......but would need a fulltime policeman or 2 on either side of the crossing to enforce the morons to stop.
And for the BIB who might be reading this post......just think how much money you could make from the fines for the idiots that don't stop!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Jack Sprat wrote:And for the BIB who might be reading this post......just think how much money you could make from the fines for the idiots that don't stop!
Unfortunately, if they don't stop, it would require 'work' to catch the offenders, so not an attractive proposition for most.

Points 48; Position 20
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Homer: In this case the pedestrian crossed the first part of the road (north bound). The accident happened at the south bound part. He had to look at LEFT side. I agree that it's not simple to fut everywhere warning signs. One more time : If you are in a foreign country be 10 times more careful and by crossing a road use your brain.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:
Jack Sprat wrote:And for the BIB who might be reading this post......just think how much money you could make from the fines for the idiots that don't stop!
Unfortunately, if they don't stop, it would require 'work' to catch the offenders, so not an attractive proposition for most.
A bit off topic, but relevant. There is a very busy T junction on Sukhumvit Rd., close to where I am in Bangkok. Sukhumvit is 3 lanes and mounted up on the police traffic box is a BIG sign, in both Thai and English, that says "left hand lane drive through at all times", or words to that effect.

It has always bothered my to drive through in this situation against a red light, but, and not only at that intersection, if I stop there will be some idiot blasting on his horn within 5 seconds. I have even had motor bike riders bashing on the side window and yelling at me.

So while the police encourage this type of thing, how the hell do you stop it?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

europtimiste wrote:Homer: In this case the pedestrian crossed the first part of the road (north bound). The accident happened at the south bound part. He had to look at LEFT side. I agree that it's not simple to fut everywhere warning signs. One more time : If you are in a foreign country be 10 times more careful and by crossing a road use your brain.
Thanks for the clarification.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

I know its no consolation, but here in Saudi Arabia the driving can be somewhat worse than Thailand, but obviously there are no bewildered and inattentive tourists here, not that I've seen anyway. But in the past few years there has been a significant increase in cameras catching speeders and red light jumpers etc, the fines here are very high, and I do feel that this is working. In HH there needs to be an increase in educating tourists and drivers alike, and possibly installation of cameras etc, will be interesting if there is any change made along that road outside MV. I myself am very careful when approaching that particular crossing as there are many foreigners trying to cross, and sometimes its better to keep moving slowly especially if motorcycles are behind me.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Big Boy wrote:It must sound as if I'm very anti-motorcycle.
It certainly does...
The problem you described of motorcycles creeping up the inside of cars certainly is a problem, but it's not really the issue here. There are just as many, if not more, cars who ignore pedestrian crossings. And that it why I, when riding a motorcycle, will never stop at a crossing if there's a car anywhere close to behind me - because if the vehicle behind me doesn't stop, then that's pretty much game over for me.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Big Boy wrote:
But then again they do not often stop Thais, no cash in it.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

StevePIraq wrote:
Big Boy wrote:
But then again they do not often stop Thais, no cash in it.
As has been pointed out many times on this forum, you are making assumptions that are not true. Look at any official traffic 'stop' and you'll find most of the 'stopped' vehicles (motorcycles included) are in FACT Thai!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Yeah. Farangs tend to argue and waste valuable collection time. Locals without licence or insurance or plates tend to hand over the "fine" pretty quickly.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's well sorted now. A crossing patrolman with a big red flag, on a long stick. The long stick is ingenious, it keeps the patrolman out of danger just in case the vehicle doesn't stop.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Will the next step be automation? Some sort of Heath Robinson contraption which alternately hangs out red and green flags. Perhaps with a yellow one between red and green. Who knows how it could progress from there? I don't think red and green lights will work as well though. Maybe 3D zebra crossings http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... iversities, http://archpaper.com/2016/04/3d-zebra-c ... rs-tracks/?