Attack on foreigners gives Hua Hin tourism operators jitters

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Tourism business operators in Prachuap Khiri Khan raised concerns yesterday over tourist safety after two foreign tourists were attacked and robbed near Sam Roi Yot National Park on Tuesday.

Youssef Bemhatoun, from Italy, and Othmane Tigzirine, from Morocco, were attacked by three men who robbed them of their possessions including a rented motorcycle on a minor road in Sam Roi Yot district.

The pair, who are studying Thai kick-boxing at the 301 Muay Thai club in Ban Phu Yai in Sam Roi Yot district, were heading back to their accommodation when they were attacked.

Police said they went to a beach on the motorcycle but on the way back they ran out of petrol and were pushing the motorbike when the three men on another motorcycle attacked and robbed them of valuables including €200 (7,700 baht), credit cards and their passports.

The robbery was the latest in a series of high-profile tourist attacks in the province that have received foreign media attention since a British family was attacked during the Songkran holiday.

The incident on Tuesday prompted the Hua Hin/Cha Am Tourism Business Association to call a meeting yesterday to discuss the issue. Tourism Authority of Thailand officials also attended.

It was agreed more action was needed to ensure the safety of tourists.

Orasa Awutkhom, director of the Prachuap Khiri Khan tourism office, admitted this latest case would affect the country's reputation.

During Songkran three British tourists -- Lewis Owen, 68, his wife Rosemary, 65, and their 43-year-old son, Lewis John Owen -- were attacked in Hua Hin by four Thai men.

Video footage of the attack, which made headlines overseas, sparked a public outcry.

A manhunt is under way to track down and arrest the robbery suspects, the provincial police chief said yesterday.

Source: Bangkok Post
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

If their motorcycle had ran put of petrol, how did the assailants steal it?
Many holes in their story!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Attack on foreigners gives Hua Hin tourism operators jitters

Post by RCer »

Felipesed1 wrote:If their motorcycle had ran put of petrol, how did the assailants steal it?
Many holes in their story!
How dare you interject common sense into a thriller. 555
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Have you never seen one person on a working motorcycle propelling a motor cycle with no fuel by extending their leg and placing their foot to push the disabled machine?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Big Boy wrote:Have you never seen one person on a working motorcycle propelling a motor cycle with no fuel by extending their leg and placing their foot to push the disabled machine?
yes easy to do...

i would like to hear the victims side of the story.
i ride my motorcycle in this area all the time. of course not at 02:00 dresed like a tourist.
anyone know the exact location of the attack? the "article" was sort of vague.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Photos and at least one landmark building/restaurant where they took refuge that someone may recognize.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... en-robbed/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

Big Boy wrote:Have you never seen one person on a working motorcycle propelling a motor cycle with no fuel by extending their leg and placing their foot to push the disabled machine?
Yes, of course I have. But that is only one part of their story that seems "strange".
3 Thai attacking 2 fairly big falang?
Not normal!
What about their Muay Thai training the victims were supposed to be having- did they forget it?
Many unanswered questions!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

It says they are studying Muay Thai. It doesn't say how far advanced they are... could be their first week for all we know. Also we don't know if there were guns or knives involved, which could severely restrict the effectiveness of any trained hand(foot)-combat.

The reason the article is probably a big vague is that the article isn't actually about the attack itself. It's about the 'action' that the attack has prompted from the "tourism business operators"
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Felipesed1 wrote:
Yes, of course I have. But that is only one part of their story that seems "strange".
3 Thai attacking 2 fairly big falang?
Not normal!
What about their Muay Thai training the victims were supposed to be having- did they forget it?
Many unanswered questions!

I can't see anything that suggests that the victims were "big," and even if they were, let us remember that this is Thailand, so if the truth be known, there were probably weapons involved as well.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think its the photo in prcscct's link.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

As with all these types of reports the reader doesn't know (and never will know) whether the attacks were spontaneous or a follow-up to some previous "aggravation" between the two parties...
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I hear that the VN ese are making huge efforts to attract tourists and that already they have made inroads into the golf tourism business.