Hua Hin and Thailand bomb attacks

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin and Thailand bomb attacks

Post by Big Boy »

People shouldn't be prisoners. A referendum to ask where the people (not just a few bully boys) want to be. If the majority say elsewhere, then I say let them go. I said the same about Scotland and Brexit.

I don't know what the deep South brings to the party. Are there any natural resources down there that Thailand doesn't want to lose? The current situation must be costing the country a fortune. If there's no payback, let it go, if it's what the majority want.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

BB Spot on I could not agree more.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Hua Hin and Thailand bomb attacks

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:...
I don't know what the deep South brings to the party. Are there any natural resources down there that Thailand doesn't want to lose? ...
Yes - Face!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Very interesting report on the deep south, it's past and it's conflict

https://asiafoundation.org/resources/pd ... Report.pdf
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

StevePIraq wrote:To true but I still say give the south back but Thailand never will so the deaths will continue.
To whom should it be "given back"?

Pattani was a kingdom before its final subjugation by Thailand over 350 years ago.

The Federation of Malay States (Malaysia) did not exist then.

Do you think the current Federation would want to accept Pattani as another member with all its concomitant problems?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

So what is your proposal
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Wasn't Pattani Hitorically the centre of the Malay Sultanate of Patani Darul Makrif, therefore not Thai but Malay. Hold a referendum and go with the result.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

350 years ago, yes it was.
Not for a long time though.

Would that referendum include the rest of the Malay States as well, considering how it would affect them?

Some of them have dual citizenship; so if they think they are Malay then they should not vote unless the whole of Malaysia votes.

It would appear to be only a very small number of terrorists, probably not representative of the population (sound familiar?).
They can be beaten by the "Hearts & Minds" technique used by the British Army in Malaysia in 1948; (and unsuccessfully copied by the Americans in South Vietnam).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

And unsuccessfully by the USA in Iraq and Afghanistan, it does not work these days, hearts and mind does not work these days.
It truly is a very difficult situation and we see very little of it, there are a reported 5 bombings a day in the South and fighting back does not solve the issue.
There is only one way to resolve the issue and that is as Winston Churchill once said, Jaw Jaw is better than War War.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Felipesed1 wrote:It would appear to be only a very small number of terrorists, probably not representative of the population
Hence the need for a referendum - find out what the majority of people really want.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

There are reports of there being up to 15,000 armed insurgents in the south. Then again someone's Terrorist is someone else's Freedom Fighter.

You may find the following interesting

http://www.newmandala.org/new-breed-ter ... nt-1929829