Hua Hin and Thailand bomb attacks

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: Hua Hin and Thailand bomb attacks

Post by JamesWest »

"According to police report, the first car bomb went off at the parking lot of Southern Views Hotel in Pattani’s suburb at around 10.30pm Tuesday night, though no one was injured. Another car bomb exploded about half an hour later in front of the hotel, causing a large number of casualties and inflicting severe damages to nearby buildings.

One woman from Ubon Ratchathani province was killed in the bombing, while at least 30 other people were wounded, police said.

Col. Pramote said the vehicle used in the latter attack was an ambulance reported stolen from another hospital in Pattani province."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crim ... uth-hotel/
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

A site heavy with foreignerstargeted again.Another stain on Thais record and another reason for tourists to stay away.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

remarkably little news on the latest bomb on world news---guess bombs in Thai is just old news.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

oakdale160 wrote:remarkably little news on the latest bomb on world news---guess bombs in Thai is just old news.
UK news seems to be dominated by the earthquake in Italy and the return of the Olympic team. I have just listened to Radio 5 news at 1 am Thursday UK time - and watched TV news at 6 pm Wednesday here, and there was nothing about this bombing OR about the Myanmar earthquake.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Let's face it, terrorism is a very common occurrence worldwide these days, and these bombs are small in comparison to what's happening elsewhere. They need to have a special twist to continually make International news/sell newspapers.

Is there anywhere more safe than others from these murdering cowards? I doubt it. It's just a fact of life in the crazy world we currently live in.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

it seems Market Village have introduced some security measures following the recent bomb attacks.
I went yesterday and as you go down the ramp to park the bike there is a sign saying take helmet off before entering car park. I asked security why and they had no idea. No vehicle check and if a bomb went off down there is would be an inferno with the 1000 plus petrol tanks all parked side by side.
At the Phetkasem road entrance there was a bag check going into the ground floor on the left side, no check on the right hand side or going down to the lower level. Also no checks going via the external stairs.
As would be expected no checks on any vehicles.

If a place is going to introduce security checks they at least need to employ someone who understands this and not be half arsed about it.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

the rule is that you must take off your helmet so that the security cameras can see your face, its a law. only problem is that they dont have security cameras in the bike parking garage at mv so the whole thing is pointless---but please dont tell any thai people this. this exercise in logic exhausts them
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But surely it would mean Thais would first have to put their helmet on to be able to take it off, this would confuse the issue even further. Many may have to go home to get their helmet to be able to take it off.

Yesterday the pollution in the parking was really bad as the bike parking was almost 100% full, never seen it so packed.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've said this before when the same silly rule in the M/bike park was tried after the bomb in BKK. My daughter took her helmet off as instructed and fell of her bike trying to hold her helmet and drive with one hand. Fortunately only a little damage to the bike. Had her head hit anything it may have been worse. I spoke with head of security who said it was a police instruction but when pressed agreed that it wasn't. I suggested the practice be stopped before someone hurt themselves and sued MV for damages.

It stopped within the hour!
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

And the most effective measure they have done in MV is the replace all garbage bins with transparent ones. I have many times wondered how easy it would have been to put a bomb in those bins they had before!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

And how does one see a bomb inside a paper bag inside a transparent garbage bin. It makes no difference if you cannot stop these devices getting into a facility in the first place.

We have it good here how about in the south where there were 50 bombs in the first 10 days of August. See newmandala.org.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Southern separatist group BRN claims responsibility:
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... ng-report/
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

This is really no surprise, they also announced last week that they would spread their attacks if negotiations were not fruitful.
Unfortunately the Thai authorities will make no concessions so I am sure we will see more bombings as time goes on.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

Just taken from "The economist" today.

Trust deficit: Najib Razak in Thailand
As the Malaysian prime minister starts a two-day visit, Asia’s deadliest internal conflict—in Thailand’s southern Muslim provinces—will dominate talks. Bangkok’s assimilation policies have failed and Thailand wants assurances that Malaysia will stand firm against Malay-Muslim separatists who want autonomy. Malaysia in turn will probably remain noncommittal. More concretely, the countries will agree to build a wall along their 500km border; it will do little to stem the smuggling of goods and people. Not bad neighbours, but never really close, the nations’ mutual distrust means that much will remain unsaid. Malaysia is worried that Thailand’s junta, lacking democratic legitimacy, will resort to nationalism and supremacist Buddhism, and fail to show real tolerance for the nation’s Muslims. The Thai generals will be polite enough not mention their proudest achievement: a new political system that keeps the hands of greedy politicians out of the till.
:banghead: :bow:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

"More concretely, the countries will agree to build a wall...."

I can't believe the author actually wrote that. :roll:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source