The new tallest building in Thailand looks like a pixelated image in mid-download

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

The new tallest building in Thailand looks like a pixelated image in mid-download

Post by hhfarang »

At 1,029 feet, the MahaNakhon is now the tallest building in Thailand. The 77-story tower beats the skyscraper that previously held the title, Baiyoke Tower II, by 33 feet.

To celebrate its debut on August 29, the building lit up Bangkok's skies with a fantastic light show. The skyscraper's signature ribbon, which is made to like a partially-downloaded spiral of pixels, lit up, creating a beacon in the capital city's skyline.

The building is designed for a mix of retail, hotel and residential use — it holds 200 condo units managed by Ritz-Carlton Residences.

The Office for Metropolitan Architecture — the firm founded by famed Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas — announced plans for the building in 2009, but the final design was completed by international architecture firm Büro Ole Scheeren. The firm teamed up with Thai residential property developer PACE Development, and the building reportedly cost 18 billion baht ($520 million) to complete.

PACE hopes to sell some of the hotel space and observation decks to a local real estate investment trust next year, the Bangkok Post reports. Some of the revenue from that sale will likely recoup construction costs — as will ticket sales for the building's observation deck, and rents from the other hotel and retail spaces. Gourmet grocery store Dean & Deluca is also expected to open in the building.

But it might not stay Thailand's tallest skyscraper for long. A new structure, the Rama IX Super Tower, is proposed to be built in 2019. At 2,018 feet tall, it would be almost twice the size of the MahaNakhon.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mahanakh ... and-2016-8
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The new tallest building in Thailand looks like a pixelated image in mid-download

Post by margaretcarnes »

Interesting architecture - but I'm afraid my first impression brought back the vision of the second plane hitting the Twin Towers. Not a good image!
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: The new tallest building in Thailand looks like a pixelated image in mid-download

Post by Nereus »

Those pesky bloody aliens are at it again!
..................................................................................................
MahaNakhon 'is in breach' of Thai laws

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -thai-laws

Thailand's tallest building, the MahaNakhon, is at the centre of a sky-high row after claims the structure, designed by a German architect, breaches Thai labour laws.

Laws prohibiting foreign architects from working in Thailand may be outdated, architects say, after the controversy erupted as the building was officially opened on Monday night.

German architect Ole Scheeren, who designed the building -- a 77-storey high-rise structure -- has drawn criticism for allegedly breaching a rule imposed by the Ministry of Labour.

The regulation reserves 39 professions for Thai nationals -- among them, architecture and civil engineering -- as well as several traditional crafts.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..........................>
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

you need to be 77 stories up because at street level the city smells like an open sewer.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

handdrummer wrote:you need to be 77 stories up because at street level the city smells like an open sewer.
Because it is.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

I think it looks like something from a post-apocalyptic movie. Ugly. (Hey, mods: we need a vomit smilie.)
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Iconic new buildings the world over seem to be hated at first. I think this will be the case with this one,we can judge after a few years.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

dundrillin wrote:Iconic new buildings the world over seem to be hated at first. I think this will be the case with this one,we can judge after a few years.

I guess that's true but still can't help thinking that many new 'iconic' buildings are just ego trips for the architects. By comparison the Bayoake One looks cute - but to me it never did look so out of place as this new one.

Let's face it the BT tower in London still looks ugly after all these years, while the CN tower somehow manages to look graceful.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.