New pedestrian overpass for Market Village

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Terry
Rock Star
Rock Star
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: New pedestrian overpass for Market Village

Post by Terry » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:41 pm

You should all realise that the footbridge already built at Bluport was specifically put there to allow the clientele from the Intercontinental Hotel to cross the road to the 'Bluport Wing' of said hotel - without having to get their shoes dirty.......... :banghead: :bow: :duck:

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:59 pm

Chazz14 wrote:Maybe there's no-one on the bridge or crossing the road because they're all driving cars and motorcycles!
But that's the point, people are crossing the road, and none of the aids provided at great expense are being used. Going back to the OP, unless there's an escalator, or free som tam at the top, people won't use it. Using the traffic lights, would cause too much traffic disruption I assume - whatever, they constantly flash amber.

In the video, there was only one person crossing the road, but on the outward journey (the one unsuitable for publication :D ), there were a lot of people crossing.
League 1 - Doncaster....1 Plymouth Argyle....1 :dance: :dance:
Points 35; Position 13

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Big Boy wrote:Well guys, I had a huge belly laugh today when I saw the Bluport Solution to crossing Petchkasem Road. My dashcam picked it up in both directions, but my laughter was so loud on my outbound journey (together with a few expletives) that it wasn't suitable for public viewing. However, I forced myself to be quiet on the homeward journey in the hope that it would happen again - of course it did. TIT and low tech works(ish).

They built a very pretty footbridge - not a soul on it. They installed pedestrian lights - they seem to permanently flash amber, not that people take notice of traffic lights,

So what is the solution? 2 security guards gingerly stepping in front of traffic trying to help people across the road. I stopped for them in both directions after checking there were no motorcycles about. As the security guard gingerly steps out, I could see the fear in his eyes, although I don't think the dashcam picks that out - look at his footsteps, they may tell you his state of mind.

Not too long after the video, the traffic lights were switched on.

As I approached the lights over the weekend, the Amber countdown started, so unlike many, I didn't take it as an instruction to accelerate, I slowed down and stopped. The guards are still there, and despite the red light, they guide the pedestrians across the road - well done guys.

You couldn't make the next bit up, and I'm sure it must be unique to Thailand. The pedestrians safely across, and the guards back to their kerbside posts, the lights still showing red, the guards start to wave traffic on, and basically threw their arms in the air when everybody waited for the green light.

I've got the video, but will keep it for my own amusement this time.
League 1 - Doncaster....1 Plymouth Argyle....1 :dance: :dance:
Points 35; Position 13

caller
Addict
Addict

Post by caller » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:39 pm

I noticed that the other day as well - and everyone also waited until the lights changed. Probably farangs in the front row!
Talk is cheap