Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers/demolition of pier restaurants

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by Big Boy »

OK, in that case, just make them move like they did all of the other beach vendors - shouldn't be a problem.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It will be a problem if whatever action is going to be taken actually happens during the high season and does anyone know exactly what businesses would be affected?
Talk is cheap
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Once demolished I hope they make the whole sea frontage a walking street from the fishing peer to the temple. The resteraunts could then relocate and start paying taxes rather than backhanders!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I doubt they will be removed, they are a part of Hua Hin now and have been there for so long.

Things need to change of course, the beach road should be a pedestrian only street or one way only and highly policed to make people drive slow and of course there does need to be more access to the beach and the beach maintained

I personally think to lose them all would be a great loss to Hua Hin.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ It is one way only.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote:It will be a problem if whatever action is going to be taken actually happens during the high season and does anyone know exactly what businesses would be affected?
No more of a problem than removing all of the beach vendors. OK, it might need a bit more heavy equipment, but a lot less businesses affected.

Yes, it might look a mess for a while, but whatever they do will roll over into the high season. Hopefully a little pain now, will benefit all of us in the future.

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It won't benefit me - I like it as it is!
Talk is cheap
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re:

Post by StevePIraq »

hhinner wrote:^^ It is one way only.
Supposedly but as always motorbike riders ignore the rules and go both ways, I have even seen delivery trucks going the wrong way.

For a one way it has to be enforced and that is the problem, it is not enforced.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Yes, there's always a wally down from Bangkok going the wrong way. Off topic, I know, but to enforce a one way on that street would be an exception. Anyway, there isn't a proper police force with a proper traffic division (or any other kind of division) in Thailand, so who would enforce it?
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

Here's me thinking it was those horrible jelly fish and floating bits of plastic et al that were encroaching.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Light at the end of the tunnel for Hua Hin beach encroachment saga?
Two years after the courts ordered some 40 structures removed from a stretch of Hua Hin beach the issue is showing some signs of resolution this week.

Following orders from provincial officials to step up efforts to rid the area of the restaurants, guest houses and hotels that have been erected illegally over the last 13 years or so, there are some more development, reported Manager Online.

the police have announced that a meeting will be held with all relevant agencies next Monday to decide on the course of action.

They said that out of eight people they wanted to arrest they have sent papers to court regarding just one. Two defendants have died and they are still after five more.

The local administration head said that they were active and taking steps to resolve the long running issue. Papers explaining their actions are with public prosecutors and the governor of the province.

The issue refers to some 40 structures from the Saphan Pla bridge to San Jao Mae Thap Thim.

http://manager.co.th/Local/ViewNews.asp ... 0000092204
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

They said that out of eight people they wanted to arrest they have sent papers to court regarding just one. Two defendants have died and they are still after five more.
I wonder if the impetus to press ahead with this is anything to do with the evident hostility between police and army?

So the police have been dragging their feet over enforcement, maybe because they've been drinking plenty of tea..

And the army, being in overall charge of things these days, see an opportunity to get one over on the police..

Whatever, I don't think concealing the sea behind a row of jettied restaurants is particularly desirable - better to clear them and widen the road to create a seafront esplanade, possibly pedestrianised.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Out of interest, does anybody know if they stole the land and built the piers as restaurants; or were the piers already in place, and they were occupied to prevent them becoming derelict, and of course maximising a business opportunity at the same time.

We can see the remains of some piers which have become victims of the weather. Were these fishing piers or restaurants before they collapsed?

How the piers were acquired would influence my view on the subject. If the current 'owners' are simply squatting on an existing structure, I'd feel more lenient towards them than if they'd actually built their business, pier and all on stolen land (of course, my feelings don't matter diddly squat). Occupying a derelict property and maintaining it, must be to their credit.

Points 41; Position 18
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^. If they had not been paying for lots of Tettley they would have been demolished years ago. Builders of the structures, squatters if the structures .... No difference. If you are going to clean up the beach they have to go. Maybe replaced in part with something that benefits all and not only the pockets of the current businesses
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote:Out of interest, does anybody know if they stole the land and built the piers as restaurants; or were the piers already in place, and they were occupied to prevent them becoming derelict, and of course maximising a business opportunity at the same time.
I suspect they have been there for longer than most people think. My understanding is that they were originally used for drying squid, but cannot recall where I heard that from.
Talk is cheap