Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers/demolition of pier restaurants

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Post Reply
hhinner
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1156
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Post by hhinner » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Something like Cha-Am beach road (hardly a promenade)? Seen it at weekends and holidays? No thanks!

Anyway to have a beach front like Cha-Am and Pranburi and Prachuab they'd have to take all the land from the beach front hotels and condos between Hua Hin and Khao Takiab.

I'll bet the new fishing pier development owners would love to be able to get tour buses in and out of there. But while the existing buildings are there they won't be able to.

Maybe the municipality could build a nice promenade along Naebkehart?

HHTel
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2486
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by HHTel » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:18 pm

Nothing to stop them building a prom in front of those condos and guest houses. That's what they did in Prachuab. They built the prom over the beach.

REEM
Member
Member
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by REEM » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:23 pm

It should not be beyond the capabilities of the town council to build a traffic free walkway on the seafront between the pier and the Chinese Temple. It would provide a new beach area and improve the area no end.

The restaurants are illegal structures, and if they are condoned, then you might as well condone every one of the other illegal activities in Hua Hin that benefits a minority to the disadvantage of the majority.

User avatar
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru
Posts: 768
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:47 pm
Location: Wales UK

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by Kraka's Dad » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:29 pm

REEM wrote:It should not be beyond the capabilities of the town council to build a traffic free walkway on the seafront between the pier and the Chinese Temple. It would provide a new beach area and improve the area no end.

The restaurants are illegal structures, and if they are condoned, then you might as well condone every one of the other illegal activities in Hua Hin that benefits a minority to the disadvantage of the majority.
How is allowing the continuance of the status quo be of disadvantage to the majority? The reverse is most likely to be true with the area being homogenised and losing all character and the fat cats raking in the money.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

User avatar
Bristolian
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3121
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 pm
Location: Hua Hin & Bangkok

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by Bristolian » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:00 pm

I am all in favour of keeping character of the town or perhaps intoducing it. Not really sure how a few broken down piers keep the character. Can anyone explain how these piers are important.

They do not represent any era, style or significance.

Build something in-keeping with the town and history, safe,not a blot on the landscape and certainly not to line the pockets of freeloaders
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

User avatar
caller
Addict
Addict
Posts: 8339
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:05 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by caller » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:36 pm

These piers are only going for one reason and it's not to benefit Joe Public. As alluded to above, it will be to the advantage of someone's pocket and they are in the way. Whether that be the harbour or something else, time will tell.

To compare it to PKK or Cha-am is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Be careful of what you wish for as you're unlikely to get it.

There's also some sort of event on this weekend down there, according to some signs on the piers at the end of Soi57, 'begging forgiveness'. Far to Thai for my liking.
Talk is cheap

User avatar
caller
Addict
Addict
Posts: 8339
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:05 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by caller » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:02 pm

Bristolian wrote:I am all in favour of keeping character of the town or perhaps intoducing it. Not really sure how a few broken down piers keep the character. Can anyone explain how these piers are important.

They do not represent any era, style or significance.

Build something in-keeping with the town and history, safe,not a blot on the landscape and certainly not to line the pockets of freeloaders
Of course they represent the history of the town. It started as a fishing village and they were, as we now know, originally piers used by the fishermen, for their nets and drying fish. Surely it would be better to renovate them, to incorporate that part of the towns heritage, for mixed use, as communities do elsewhere.
Talk is cheap

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 29161
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by Big Boy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:10 pm

I agree. At least keep the better preserved piers, they are a part of Hua Hin/Thailand's heritage. Once they've gone, you aint going to get those bits of heritage back. They may build a new pier at some stage, but it just wouldn't be the same.
League 2 - Grimsby...1 Plymouth Argyle....1 :dance: :dance:
Points 87; Position 2
PROMOTED as Runners Up :bow: :bow: :bow:

User avatar
Bristolian
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3121
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 pm
Location: Hua Hin & Bangkok

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by Bristolian » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:25 pm

caller wrote:Of course they represent the history of the town. It started as a fishing village and they were, as we now know, originally piers used by the fishermen, for their nets and drying fish. Surely it would be better to renovate them, to incorporate that part of the towns heritage, for mixed use, as communities do elsewhere.
Accepted but today's piers and restaurants have been rebuilt/remodeled and changed beyond recognition. Strip them back, if possible, and renovate them, in keeping with the original style, by all means but if anyone really thinks that today's structures represent any historical feature of HH........
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 29161
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by Big Boy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:47 pm

Maybe not the piers, but the structures highlighted by TAT (one photo above) is certainly the same. We are not just talking piers here.
League 2 - Grimsby...1 Plymouth Argyle....1 :dance: :dance:
Points 87; Position 2
PROMOTED as Runners Up :bow: :bow: :bow:

NOKYAI
Guru
Guru
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:38 am
Location: Hua hin
Contact:

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by NOKYAI » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:16 am

I'm sure the old piers if removed will be used in a new theme park/ shopping mall with air con and away from the sun for our delicate BKK friends.... I guess they could be taken to BKK, so people don't even have to come to HH!
Now semi retired 60:40 Thailand: UK ( seems to be working well)

Strat1964
Novice
Novice
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by Strat1964 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:41 am

From the latest news, it looks like the army want to clear the place, without any other considerations.

Now as far as what we gonna get after that, then those who hope to have a nice promenade might be highly disappointed.

Expect more concrete and a big road to drive buses from the new harbour to the Hilton. Since the problem of parking has not even started to be resolved in HH, also expect massive traffic on this road.

Then finally, looking at this 'beach', where do you guys think your sewer go ? And the new harbour will not generate additional pollution ?

I heard there is a private group that already made a study on how to take advantage of this area, so after a while doing nothing and leaving the area dirty, the authorities will justify a new development and cashing the big bucks from multinationals.

Be ready for more overpriced shops and restaurants, because this is the way some people think of taking advantage of tourism in Thailand.

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 29161
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by Big Boy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:04 pm

Strat1964 wrote:Then finally, looking at this 'beach', where do you guys think your sewer go ? And the new harbour will not generate additional pollution ?
Sorry for going slightly off subject, but it's something I've wondered about piers worldwide (not just Hua Hin). Where does the sewerage from Hua Hin's piers go now please?
League 2 - Grimsby...1 Plymouth Argyle....1 :dance: :dance:
Points 87; Position 2
PROMOTED as Runners Up :bow: :bow: :bow:

Strat1964
Novice
Novice
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by Strat1964 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Big Boy wrote:
Strat1964 wrote:Then finally, looking at this 'beach', where do you guys think your sewer go ? And the new harbour will not generate additional pollution ?
Sorry for going slightly off subject, but it's something I've wondered about piers worldwide (not just Hua Hin). Where does the sewerage from Hua Hin's piers go now please?
Our dirty water is collected in a septic waste tank and we have a truck coming every month to pump it out
and bring it to wherever it must go.

Regarding the city sewer, then those who wandered after the pier in direction of Cha-Am, might notice some big
pipes going into the sea...... So far I have seen only one waste water treatment plant in HH, and it is definitely
not sized to treat the volume of the city.
Last edited by Strat1964 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Big Boy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 29161
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:36 pm
Location: Bon Kai

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers

Post by Big Boy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:51 pm

Thank you - that is one of life's mysteries solved :thumb:
League 2 - Grimsby...1 Plymouth Argyle....1 :dance: :dance:
Points 87; Position 2
PROMOTED as Runners Up :bow: :bow: :bow:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests