BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
User avatar
Chazz14
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:55 pm
Location: Amphur Cha Am

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by Chazz14 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Are you referring to the same "free press" that had to report on the Gulf War from within Saudi Arabia?
“A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.”
― Frank Zappa

stretch
Member
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by stretch » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:54 am

the bbc used to have respect all the biased reports of late in the uk all that respect has gone

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by StevePIraq » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:54 am

While the BBC may support him, who will pay the potential hundreds of thousands of pounds that may be incurred in legal fees, not just for this case but the other cases which are still open, the British taxpayer? And who will go to jail if he is found guilt, the BBC, I don't think so.
I believe there is a limit to what can and should be said in the press, freedom of the press is not a right, they are only providing information for each individual to process and make their own determination of what is right or wrong. It is Education that's makes one Free
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

User avatar
caller
Addict
Addict
Posts: 8479
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:05 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by caller » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm

StevePIraq wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:54 am
I believe there is a limit to what can and should be said in the press, freedom of the press is not a right.
Well, holding those views, you're certainly living in the right Country.
Talk is cheap

User avatar
STEVE G
Hero
Hero
Posts: 11732
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:50 am
Location: HUA HIN/EUROPE

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by STEVE G » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:16 pm

StevePIraq wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:54 am
I believe there is a limit to what can and should be said in the press, freedom of the press is not a right, they are only providing information for each individual to process and make their own determination of what is right or wrong. It is Education that's makes one Free
Freedom of the press is a right in most western countries, that's why the likes of Trump have to pretend that stories they don't like are "fake news" , instead of just throwing the journalists into jail, like in Thailand!

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by StevePIraq » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:34 pm

caller wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm
StevePIraq wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:54 am
I believe there is a limit to what can and should be said in the press, freedom of the press is not a right.
Well, holding those views, you're certainly living in the right Country.
And I have no problem with it.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

User avatar
caller
Addict
Addict
Posts: 8479
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:05 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by caller » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:54 pm

StevePIraq wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:34 pm
caller wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:11 pm
StevePIraq wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:54 am
I believe there is a limit to what can and should be said in the press, freedom of the press is not a right.
Well, holding those views, you're certainly living in the right Country.
And I have no problem with it.
Living here, press censorship, or both?
Talk is cheap

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by StevePIraq » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:12 pm

You have a number of options when living in Thailand and many other countries that have restrictions.
1. Stand up, speak out and face the consequence. Mr. Head did this and should have known better or had better legal advice.
2. Shut up and accept things as they are. Most Thais do this as do most foreigners.
3. Keep moaning but don't have the balls to Stand up and speak out.
4. Move to a country where you believe you have freedom of speech then say what you like.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

User avatar
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3322
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Boo, I'm behind you.

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by Khundon1975 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:03 pm

^ The problem with No 2 is that leads very quickly to a dictatorship if people and the press are frightened to speak out for fear of incarceration.

I would expect his employers the BBC, will stand firmly behind him, failure to do so would have serious consequences for them and all other BBC correspondents around the world.
👍
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by StevePIraq » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Khundon1975 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:03 pm
^ The problem with No 2 is that leads very quickly to a dictatorship if people and the press are frightened to speak out for fear of incarceration.

I would expect his employers the BBC, will stand firmly behind him, failure to do so would have serious consequences for them and all other BBC correspondents around the world.
👍
And just what can the BBC do other than request the UK government to negotiate a pardon and deportation, just like the Al Jazeera journalist presently in jail in Egypt, AJ can do little themselves.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by StevePIraq » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:45 pm

dundrillin wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:57 pm

The BBC is independent of government and paid for out of taxation, paid for via the license fee.

Dundrillin, what you have stated makes no sense at all. If the BBC receives funding from taxation it is the government who allocates those funds and hence has influence.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

User avatar
caller
Addict
Addict
Posts: 8479
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:05 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by caller » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Sorry Steve, but I disagree with you on just about everything. All JH did was report what he had uncovered in respect of a solicitors actions. Nothing more, nothing less. And he hasn't been convicted of anything yet and I am willing to bet he never will be. Last time I looked at the news I saw evidence of Thais standing up for themselves.
Talk is cheap

dundrillin
Guru
Guru
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:06 am
Location: huahin

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by dundrillin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:53 pm

StevePIraq wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:45 pm
dundrillin wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:57 pm

The BBC is independent of government and paid for out of taxation, paid for via the license fee.

Dundrillin, what you have stated makes no sense at all. If the BBC receives funding from taxation it is the government who allocates those funds and hence has influence.
I see no evidence that any government has influence over the BBC's output. Rather they seen to be a thorn in the side of all governments. Dennis Thatcher famously called the BBC the British Bolshevik Corporation. The Scottish National Party supporters hate the BBC. I don't think you could say the BBC interviews give the politicians an easy time. Where is your evidence for what you suggest?

dundrillin
Guru
Guru
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:06 am
Location: huahin

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by dundrillin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:59 pm

StevePIraq wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:54 am
While the BBC may support him, who will pay the potential hundreds of thousands of pounds that may be incurred in legal fees, not just for this case but the other cases which are still open, the British taxpayer? And who will go to jail if he is found guilt, the BBC, I don't think so.
I believe there is a limit to what can and should be said in the press, freedom of the press is not a right, they are only providing information for each individual to process and make their own determination of what is right or wrong. It is Education that's makes one Free
Cuba and Russia have excellent educational systems. The US and U.K. Educational systems are patchy at best.

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2153
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: BBC journalist faces five years in jail for reporting Thai fraud

Post by StevePIraq » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:53 pm

dundrillin wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:53 pm
StevePIraq wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:45 pm
dundrillin wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:57 pm

The BBC is independent of government and paid for out of taxation, paid for via the license fee.

Dundrillin, what you have stated makes no sense at all. If the BBC receives funding from taxation it is the government who allocates those funds and hence has influence.
I see no evidence that any government has influence over the BBC's output. Rather they seen to be a thorn in the side of all governments. Dennis Thatcher famously called the BBC the British Bolshevik Corporation. The Scottish National Party supporters hate the BBC. I don't think you could say the BBC interviews give the politicians an easy time. Where is your evidence for what you suggest?
Took about 10 seconds to find something, anyway this is off topic the issue is Mr. Head

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/ ... hite-paper
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Midsman and 15 guests