Animal-rights groups urge Hua Hin expats to save dogs from possible slaughter

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Animal-rights groups urge Hua Hin expats to save dogs from possible slaughter

Post by HHTel »

I wish the forum had a 'like' button. Lots of good points made.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Re: Animal-rights groups urge Hua Hin expats to save dogs from possible slaughter

Post by MDMK »

Takiap wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:55 am
Yes, if a miracle happens (and it WILL NOT) and the authorities castrate every stray male in the country, it would obviously reduce the population, but again, this would be a temporary fix because because slowly but surely people will start dumping dogs which have not been castrated or vaccinated.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the authorities to fix the stray dog problem, but someone posted something on the forum a week or two back about a soi dog charity in Phuket who have run a TNR (trap neuter release) program on the island for many years now, and their statistics are very very impressive. The way I see it is... it's an ongoing thing. Whether it be a cull or a castration program, that's just the first step. Neighborhoods like BB's who don't experience problems after the immediate problem's been dealt with you can be quite hands off with, but if a new pack move in, whoever or whatever body is running the show, government or charity, has to step in and deal with it. So I assume in Phuket for instance, if you have a small number of more or less trouble free soi dogs where all the males are castrated and a new intact male moves in then I assume there will be a number to call for the soi dog charity and the new guy will be trapped, castrated and released. So it is kind of a temporary fix, but it the first step is the biggest, and while I would support a cull, I would support it more if it was along the lines of ...... a major cull now followed with a mini cull every 12 months (or whenever was needed) to keep numbers within safe and humane levels.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Gregjam wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:43 pm Gut reactions by do gooders do not help and ordinarily those who offer practical solutions are rarely listened to as their ideas do not fit into the agenda of those with the authority to do something.
So true, but just as true here in the west. I have been involved with cat and dog charities for the best part of my life and a lot of the time 90% of the other people involved in these charities, volunteers and paid staff, piss me off. Far too many hold extreme and unsustainable no-kill views. People wear "no kill" like a badge of pride. Oh I support my local "no kill" animal shelter, like it's something to be proud of and makes you a good person. If there were enough homes and enough money then fair enough, I'd support it too. But it's just bloody stupid when there are more stray animals than there are homes to house them or money to feed and medically treat them.

The smallish city I live in has a large shelter, can be about 100 dogs and 200 cats at anyone time in it. They are "no kill" so the unlucky aggressive/old/ugly/problematic/health issues cats and dogs can be in there for years with no chance of rehoming. But they plough on with more behaviour training or different pills or selective rehoming, all very expensive and all ultimately stupid as no one wants a pissy cat in their house or a bitey staffy around their kids.

Now a new charity has sprung up in our city. They bought a big house on a massive piece of land, you must be looking at a startup cost of at least Euro1million just for the house and grounds. And all they are doing is taking in problematic "cats for life". So say cats who pee in the house, been looked at by a vet and a behaviourist, can't be fixed. So they go in this new cat-for-life house. They have loads of double-amputee cats with wheels instead of back legs, loads of cats with very expensive medical conditions. None of these cats will ever be rehomed. They will live (happily????) and die there.

Talk about unsustainable. I think they reached their max capacity within months of opening, so it's "one dies, one new one can come in now". Their running costs most be astronomical. And as someone who loves cats, sorry, but that kind of pack life is absolutely not suitable for a lot of cats. So I don't even think it's that humane. Unsustainable, expensive, insane, questionable on how how humane it is .... but hey they don't kill, so all the "saints" are happy thinking they're doing something good for animals.

now having said all that, I can't even voice my opinion most of the time because I'd be black-balled by the "saints" if I did.

Takiap, apologies for stealing your "saints" but it's just so apt.