Animal-rights groups urge Hua Hin expats to save dogs from possible slaughter

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Animal-rights groups urge Hua Hin expats to save dogs from possible slaughter

Post by buksida »

Ten animal-rights groups issued an urgent plea on Monday for foreigners living in Hua Hin to claim “ownership” of stray dogs being rounded up there to prevent the animals from being euthanised.

The groups posted on the Watchdog Thailand after being bit by a cat. They said the captured strays were wearing tags to show they had been vaccinated against rabies. They expressed doubt about livestock officials’ claims that the dogs would be kept at a quarantine centre in Phetchaburi and then sent to a government-run animal shelter in Buri Ram.

The groups suspected instead that the dogs would be euthanised as per the rabies-control law. They said Western expatriates who had been feeding the strays should come forward and claim to “own” the dogs to save them from being put down.

Making the plea were the Save Elephant Foundation, SOS Animals Thailand, the Hope Thailand, A Call For Animal Rights Thailand, Thai Love Animals, the Man That Rescued Dogs, Pac Pattaya, Dog Nation, Soi Dogs Matter and Watchdog Thailand.

An official at the Hua Hin Livestock Office, speaking on condition of anonymity, warned that legal action would be taken against anyone attempting to obstruct rabies-control efforts. They could be charged with violating Article 23 of the animal-cruelty act, which prohibits pet owners from releasing their animals on streets, the official said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... d/30341324
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
brianks
Guru
Guru

Re: Animal-rights groups urge Hua Hin expats to save dogs from possible slaughter

Post by brianks »

If the animal rights groups care so much about the stray dogs in Hua Hin they should come down from their ivory towers and collect them so THEY can "save" them. Hua Hin has the worst dog problem in any city in Thailand that I have been too. I got attacked many times on my morning runs there. Where I live now the dogs just lye in the street and I run around them or they move aside. Yes, I have had the rabies vaccine administered twice in my 10 years here.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Re: Animal-rights groups urge Hua Hin expats to save dogs from possible slaughter

Post by Stargeezer »

Animal rights people will not be able to save themselves if they are bitten by a rabid dog.
Politicians, Police and Military are in the same boat, but just keep on saving these poor soi dogs
that have been a problem for years. Gosh, do not even suggest that it is a good time to lessen their
population.
Geezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Kill them all, or if you want to save them put them into the dog shelter sponsored by the later king.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Send to Nam...........yummy
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

The groups posted on the Watchdog Thailand after being bit by a cat.
That is quite a cat!! Amazing Thailand!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I'm a dog lover, I have adopted three Soi dogs and feed them once a day BUT I am all in favor of a cull of soi dogs, so that those that remain will have a better life.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Curious, do they live in you house / yard, or do you simply feed them, and they run wild ?

Then they are simply well fed soi dogs if the later.

If not neutered and have their yearly shots, then they are simply part of the problem, maybe even worse, as they'll become territorial, and aggressive.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

oakdale160 wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:54 pm I'm a dog lover, I have adopted three Soi dogs and feed them once a day BUT I am all in favor of a cull of soi dogs, so that those that remain will have a better life.
couldn't agree more. I am all for animal welfare charities, but am strongly against those who hold no-kill views. Often the most humane thing to do is to have a cull to keep numbers down, and through that make things better for those dogs left alive.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Can somebody enlighten me please because I am a bit confused about this whole soi dog issue.......

The groups and individuals who are totally against a cull, always present the same argument, saying that if you kill all the strays in a soi, then other stray dogs will simply move in to fill the vacuum?

Are these the same groups of people who are now asking expats and locals to adopt soi dogs in a bid to save them from being put down? I'm not the brightest person on Earth, but my logic tells me that if my neighbors and I went outside and adopted all 27 dogs in our road today, then surely other strays would move in to fill the vacuum?

Of course, we could go out and adopt the next 20 strays that move in, but then there would once again be a vacuum for more stray dogs, and so on, and so on, and so on.

Yes, if a miracle happens (and it WILL NOT) and the authorities castrate every stray male in the country, it would obviously reduce the population, but again, this would be a temporary fix because because slowly but surely people will start dumping dogs which have not been castrated or vaccinated.

Also, considering the sheer size of Thailand's stray dog population, the amount of money and manpower that would be required for such a monster undertaking, essentially makes it an unrealistic option.

Countries all over the world catch stray dogs which are then kept for a limited time before being put down. It might not be a nice option/solution, but it has proven to be the most effective solution.

And, as for the argument that it goes against Thai culture and Thai beliefs is concerned, well, what utter nonsense. Anybody who has spent some time in places like Isaan will surely have seen locals handing over dogs in exchange for plastic buckets and etc.

Contrary to what many Farang like to believe, their are millions of Thais who absolutely loath stray dogs.

Anyway, I knew there was a stray dog problem here from the very first day I arrived, and it never put me off from staying here, so I am not going to let the problem get to me now.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Takiap wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:55 am The groups and individuals who are totally against a cull, always present the same argument, saying that if you kill all the strays in a soi, then other stray dogs will simply move in to fill the vacuum?
You're a regular down my Soi. You will remember the dog problem we had until about 3 years ago. The dozens of strays were removed - the vacuum still exists today. So theory and practice aren't always the same.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Someone can always give the crocodile farm a call. They have been known in the past to help round up packs of feral strays in some of the larger housing developments in and around Bangkok. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs and up to recently, have always had one or two in the house. But when too many feral strays develop a pack mentality, something needs to be done.
วินเชนท์
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

As a pedal cyclist you have to accept and deal with dogs roaming free and chasing you. The biggest problem with potentially aggressive dogs are those who hace a small territory to defend. The only time I was bitten was not by a stray but one apparently owned by someone who lives in the Lakeside Nongkhon development. No offer to pay for the jabs that follwed, the Thai wife who was the only one there came out with the usual "it doesn't bite" despite the bleeding wound.
Getting back to my point, It is when the "charitable" folks feed the strays in their street that they become territorial and can become a problem. The dogs away from developed areas are rarely a problem and shy away from most people. A case in point are the dogs on the road past the DaVinci school. They have never been a problem to me and I know there is a chap who rides a salaeng feeds them daily.
Perhaps what needs to be done is an arbitrary round up of dogs roaming the urban streets with a hefty return fee to cover costs plus poop cleanup and having a chip put in them with an arbitrary euthenasia on the third time of capture and billing to the owner or person responsible who collected them the first time.
The result would be cleaner streets, safer streets and would reduce road accidents (saw a guy the other day wrapped up in bandages after encountering one of the more dopey dogs. He survived, the dog didn't and his motorbike is very damaged). Unfortunately this would be just another dream which passes away a few minutes while my lunch goes down.
For the recoed I have two dogs who are not allowed to roam the streets and my wife supports the care of a number of dogs out in the village who also are not allowed to roam. They were not always like this but numbers dropped after they bacame a nuisance to the Thai locals and rat poison laced food was left for them. A controlled cull is preferable to locals taking things into their own hands, rat poison is nasty stuff and any dog eating it will die, probably not the ones it is targeted for as they are usually street smart.
Gut reactions by do gooders do not help and ordinarily those who offer practical solutions are rarely listened to as their ideas do not fit into the agenda of those with the authority to do something.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

VincentD wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:52 am Someone can always give the crocodile farm a call. They have been known in the past to help round up packs of feral strays in some of the larger housing developments in and around Bangkok. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs and up to recently, have always had one or two in the house. But when too many feral strays develop a pack mentality, something needs to be done.
To end up as croc food though? :cry:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:21 am
Takiap wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:55 am The groups and individuals who are totally against a cull, always present the same argument, saying that if you kill all the strays in a soi, then other stray dogs will simply move in to fill the vacuum?
You're a regular down my Soi. You will remember the dog problem we had until about 3 years ago. The dozens of strays were removed - the vacuum still exists today. So theory and practice aren't always the same.

You are correct, and that's one of the points I was trying to make, in that some of these dogs can be removed without it being an invitation to other dogs to move in.

The problem up here where I stay, it that we now have three or sometimes 4 saints who insist on feed the stray dog population, and all this has done is it has led to a significant increase in the number of strays around here. Of course, in a month or two the saints will fly away back home, and us who live here will be left with the problem they have helped t create.

With that having been said, it does appear as though the number of local strays has decreased a little bit over the past few weeks, and if that is in fact the case, then I think it may be down to some of the locals taking matters into their own hands because nobody that I know has seen or heard of any dog collectors visiting the area.

Admittedly, while some of the dogs to bark at some people, and some do chase bikes and cars, they seem to leave us locals alone lol, but of course that could all change if one or more become infected with rabies.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact