Hundreds of foreigners/teachers arrested in nationwide operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Hundreds of foreigners/teachers arrested in nationwide operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner

Post by buksida »

Schools targeted as 80 foreigners arrested nationwide
A total of 80 foreigners were arrested in the latest such crackdown led by deputy police chief Pol Maj-General Surachet Hakpal.

Surachet held a press conference at 2am at the Grace Hotel on Soi Sukhumvit 23 to announce the results of the sixth X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner operation that ran from Thursday until the early hours of Friday.

In the latest operation, police searched 127 spots around the country, including 13 international schools, 17 language schools and 61 normal schools, Surachet said. He said 18 people were arrested on charges of overstaying their visa – five Indians, four Cambodians, two North Koreans, two Americans, two Britons, one Turk, one Kyrgyzstani and one Laotian.

He noted 54 were charged with unlawful entry into the Kingdom –33 Myanmarians, five Laotians, five Cambodians, four Indians, four North Koreans, two Vietnamese, and one American. Eight other foreigners were arrested on other criminal charges –four Vietnamese, two Myanmarians, one Indian, and one Briton.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30342069
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Re: 80 foreigners arrested in nationwide crackdown on schools and teachers

Post by buksida »

More on that here, it seems to be a crackdown on ED visas ...

Thailand’s Immigration Police Crackdown on Foreigners Abusing “Non-Ed” Visas
Thailand’s Deputy Chief of the Tourist Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal, has announced a swathe of arrests, rooting out foreigners staying on study visas and then committing crime in Thailand.

He said that the Tourist police and immigration are working closely with educational establishments to root out foreigners abusing study or “non-ed” visas.

Surachet said that there is a cap of non-attendance of classes is being made. If a person with a study visa is absence from a course more than three times and it’s not explained, then that person will lose their student status and face expulsion from Thailand.

So far in the month of March four people have fallen into that category, reported Thai Rath.

In the latest crackdown Surachet said a joint operation with 191 special branch, immigration Police and several other agencies in Bangkok had resulted in arrests at 108 locations.

Forty nine of these were at educational establishments and 59 at private homes.

Maj Gen Surachet has been the front man for a series of crime busts and was in Dubai earlier this week arresting call center gangs in cooperation with the UAE police.

He said 123 arrests were made in a latest sweep that involved foreigners committing crime related to credit card, romance scams, fake cards, fake diamonds and drugs.

Seventeen people were arrested on overstay comprised of 9 Indians, 2 Pakistanis, 2 Cambodians and one each from Myanmar, China, Kenya and Egypt.

Yoo Guang,48, a Chinese national, had been staying illegally in Chiang Rai for 12 years. Also named were Chonburi residents Komon Dheep, 24, (3 years overstay) and Mandeep Singh, 27 (2 years). Virenda Vadev, 35, was on two years overstay in Bangkok. The last three mentioned were all Indian nationals.

A total of 91 arrests were made yesterday for illegal entry comprising 62 people from Myanmar, 14 Laotians, 4 Cambodians, 3 Vietnamese, 3 Indian, 3 Pakistanis and one each from Belgium and Australia.

Fifteen others were arrested – 5 Vietnamese, 3 from Myanmar, 2 Indians, 2 British, 2 Thai and 1 French.

In the five sweeps to date there have been 490 arrests.

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailand ... visas.html
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I remember several years ago in Pattaya--for a couple of days police were stopping every farang and asking to see PP and/or immigration slip. no fines, just told they must carry them at all times. Then like everything here, it all faded away.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:33 am I remember several years ago in Pattaya--for a couple of days police were stopping every farang and asking to see PP and/or immigration slip. no fines, just told they must carry them at all times. Then like everything here, it all faded away.
Thank goodness. I lived and worked legally as a foreigner in the UK for 10+ years and was never stopped in the street and asked to show my passport. I have been here in Thailand even longer, and I've also never been stopped and asked to show my passport. Just as well because I never carry it around with me. Can you just imagine all the bitching and moaning there would be if the police kept stopping every foreigner they see in order to check their passports. Let's hope such practices do become a reality here.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

a photo copy of your passport and visa can be folded up and carried quite easily. I keep a copy in the car.

If your white and living in England it's no surprise that you were never stopped, you looked like a native.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:25 am
If your white and living in England it's no surprise that you were never stopped, you looked like a native.
Seeing as the UK has never had an ID card of any description, stopping people in the street and asking for documents would be pointless. Being white doesn't come into it, where I come from in the East Midlands there are many second and third generation people of Indian, Pakistani and Jamaican extraction who also don't need to carry any ID.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:45 am
handdrummer wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:25 am
Seeing as the UK has never had an ID card of any description, stopping people in the street and asking for documents would be pointless. Being white doesn't come into it, where I come from in the East Midlands there are many second and third generation people of Indian, Pakistani and Jamaican extraction who also don't need to carry any ID.
Although when “Stop and Search” was at its peak, it was ethnic minority’s who claimed discrimination at being stopped much more than white people were.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

In my wallet I have a copy of my PP ID page and the latest Retirement visastamp. So easy to do. Also when I have been asked for PP by electricity, banks etc it is always accepted.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I just carry my driving license around, which contains my mug shot and passport number. I always take my passport if heading away from the area.
Talk is cheap
mudcat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mudcat »

The only problem with Thai DL for ID is that the 5-year validity does not correspond to the passport expriration so the passport # will be out of sync much of the time. I carry a copy of the current passport together with emergency notification #s and contacts as well as health insurance cards and DLs - on the back of the sheet I have my wife's corresponding information. Likewise I have sometimes left the passport at home and never had a problem having the copy accepted.

steve
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

mudcat wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:03 pmLikewise I have sometimes left the passport at home and never had a problem having the copy accepted.

steve
I have never had a problem having my DL accepted.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This is one of the reasons I got an ID Card. Mrs BB always carries my passport though.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Re: Hundreds of foreigners arrested in nationwide crackdown on schools and teachers

Post by buksida »

Looks like the raids are extending to tourist areas now, and definitely schools getting targeted ...

36 foreigners detained in coordinated raids
Thirty-six foreign nationals and one Thai were detained during Tourist Police-led raids on 104 locations across the country in the early hours of Thursday.

Teams of police and officers from several other agencies searched pre-selected places in Bangkok and popular tourist spots like Phuket, Pattaya in Chon Buri, Hat Yai in Songkhla and Chiang Mai.

They targeted people at 12 international schools, 9 language schools, 27 secondary schools, and 56 other places.

Tourist Police Bureau deputy chief Pol Maj Gen Surachate Hakparn said 36 foreigners and one Thai national were detained.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... ated-raids
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Hundreds of foreigners arrested in nationwide operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner

Post by caller »

I wonder if any action is planned against those that employed them?
Talk is cheap
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:25 am a photo copy of your passport and visa can be folded up and carried quite easily. I keep a copy in the car.
If you're carrying around a copy of your passport make sure you include a copy of the page with your latest immigration stamp, and not just the photo page, as the photo page doesn't confirm that your legally permitted to be in the country,