Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Post by Big Boy »

Unsubstantiated reports of a shark attack off Had Sai Noi are flying around social media with photos. I don't know any more yet, so please add if you hear anything.

shark1.jpg
shark1.jpg (88.17 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
Shark2.jpg
Shark2.jpg (61.78 KiB) Viewed 3736 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Re: Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Post by Big Boy »

A further unsubstantiated report is saying he was interviewed at Bangkok Hospital, where the gentleman is saying he was injured by coral.

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Can't really see much from the photos posted, but from what I can see, it certainly does not look like he was attacked by a shark.

Of all the shark species there are, only a very small number are know to attack humans, and even then, they will typically be adult sharks, or at least adult-sized sharks, and when they do attack, you either die or you end up with some really serious injuries rather than only a few cuts/holes.

I might be wrong, but I seriously doubt there are any sharks in the sea around the Thai coastline that pose a threat to swimmers. All those sharks have long since been eaten.

Even in places that are well-known for sharks, such as Australia and South Africa, attacks on human are extremely rare. I grew up swimming and surfing in the sea in South Africa and in all those years I never even saw a single shark other than the harmless ones which I caught and released while fishing.

In Thailand........nah, I just find such reports a bit fanciful.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think it's one of those stories we'll never know the truth for. Such stories tend to get covered up here as a national sport. My first reaction was it'll be blamed on a shark visiting from neighbouring Burma :D .

The initial report has been taken down, but the story had spread rapidly. In the original story the guy was adamant he'd been bitten. Subsequent reports suggest he says he was caught on coral.

I'm afraid TIT and cover ups are not unheard of. This will become a case of having to decide our own version of the truth.

IMHO even if it was a shark, Thailand has a pretty good record on shark attacks. This is the first I've heard of in this area in almost 20 years of visiting, and latterly living here. I've heard of much worse at popular nightime entertainment centres. Mind you, I'll bet people are reluctant to swim at Had Sai Noi for a few days :laugh:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Takiap wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:37 am Of all the shark species there are, only a very small number are know to attack humans, and even then, they will typically be adult sharks, or at least adult-sized sharks, and when they do attack, you either die or you end up with some really serious injuries rather than only a few cuts/holes.

I might be wrong, but I seriously doubt there are any sharks in the sea around the Thai coastline that pose a threat to swimmers. All those sharks have long since been eaten.
Spot on with that assessment there Takiap, there are virtually no sharks in the Gulf and if there were they would be small grey reef sharks which are harmless. Additionally they would be living in deeper, clearer water out near the islands where their food source is (saying that I've never seen one in over a hundred dives in the Gulf).

Looks like the visa website having a slow news day again. :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

There is a better picture going around that IMHO shows a circular row of bites that is quite convincing. Looking at the size of the bite and comparing it to sharks I have caught in the past, it looks like around 4 ft long 50 ish kg. So we are not looking at Jaws. I have seen sharks while diving at Koh Talu, so it could be possible, but as you say very rare.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Confusion after claims foreigner bitten by shark in Hua Hin - injuries caused by rocks say doctors

"medical staff who treated the foreign man said the injuries were not consistent with that of a shark bite and were likely to be caused by rocks."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... d/30343240
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I don't have the same level of experience as you, buks, but I've always been led to believe that there are no sharks down this stretch of beach - I mean to the southern islands. Where's their food in a muddy, non-coral environment?
Mind you, the things could be getting pissed off at coral bleaching down there and have moved up to enforce some retribution on us humans.
I don't think so.
At that beach, there are some nasty rocks, just offshore. I wouldn't want to be carried in by a wave and then be scraped along them.
Same, same at HH beach.
Keelhauling springs to mind and those barnacles will win every time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I doubt the 'free' press would be allowed to print anything different. as it might affect tourism.

As said by NOKYAI, other photos certainly look like bites. Who is to say a shark hasn't taken a wrong turning somewhere.

One incident in 20 years? Does not sound like a problem to me. My experience of sharks was reading JAWS :oops: many years ago. In that, I'm pretty sure they say sharks can turn up anywhere. OK, that is only fiction, but what is the reaction of the local authorities everytime? Cover up.
foot.jpg
foot.jpg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 2888 times

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

True enough, especially over here.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

My experience with sharks is they mostly don't much interest in shallow, warm waters that are almost devoid of food.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

A local shark ? Maybe an australian shark brought by an Aussi.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:35 am I doubt the 'free' press would be allowed to print anything different. as it might affect tourism.

As said by NOKYAI, other photos certainly look like bites. Who is to say a shark hasn't taken a wrong turning somewhere.

One incident in 20 years? Does not sound like a problem to me. My experience of sharks was reading JAWS :oops: many years ago. In that, I'm pretty sure they say sharks can turn up anywhere. OK, that is only fiction, but what is the reaction of the local authorities everytime? Cover up.
The news are already on Thaivisa and Pattaya One Media.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been wondering whether to post this or not. There is a claim the original Thai poster on social media spotted 40 to 50 sharks swimming off Had Sai Noi at the time of yesterday's incident. He has posted a video, and there's no doubt it's a shark, but shows no landmarks to identify where the shark was spotted.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A bit more research, and I've found this better video, which also shows a lot more sharks and landmarks.

I'm now sat in the 'It was a shark' camp.

Points 41; Position 18