Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Re: Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Post by Big Boy »

This has been uploaded to the forum's Facebook page today. Definitely Had Sai Noi, and definitely a shark. We have to decide on the authenticity of it for ourselves. Filmed today..........

Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Bloody hell. A leaping great white.
I'm never going within a mile of any Thai beach now.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Haha, I remember watching you swim from the Mermaid to the shore there with your money in a plastic bag. You were obviously too fast for them.

Points 41; Position 18
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Wiki: Range of great white shark (Carcharodon carcharias).

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The 2nd attack has been denied https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... in-hua-hin

[Edit] This denial is most likely correct, but it becomes hard to distinguish between fact and fiction in Thailand.

Points 41; Position 18
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Unless there's a photo (as in the 1st 'reported' attack), or a vid, then it never happened.

Apparently even the doctors had to 'toe' the line / spin during the first one. Rock or coral .... :roll:

Guess they don't realize, when they come back and deny it happened, it only highlights it probably did happen. Should have let it go .... would have been forgotten already ... :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Private sector asked to donate to Norwegian shark attack victim
The deputy governor of Prajuab Khirikhan province is organizing a massive whip-round after Werner Danielsen's Thai wife Amornrat said the insurance won't pay up.

And effectively shamed the Thais into action after their inaction.

Mr Danielsen has bills at Bangkok Hua Hin hospital totaling 300,000 baht.

Hua Hin municipality are showing willing by coughing up 10,000 baht. Now deputy governor Theeraphan Nanthakit is asking the private sector and state agencies to see how much they can come up with to ease Mr Danielsen's distress, reported Daily News.

Theeraphan called a crisis meeting at Prajuab HQ yesterday that included calls for the intriguing possibility that one day Thailand might have an official fund that tourists could have access to for similar occurrences and accidents that occur while on holiday - not necessarily shark attacks.

For now he asked all those concerned to help out the shark bite man.

He told the meeting that Mr Danielsen was insured in Norway and initially the company agreed to shell out 250,000 - an offer that was later rescinded after it was discovered that the policy had run out.

Many policies have a time limit and the Norwegian had been away several months.

https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/641292
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

buksida wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:30 am Private sector asked to donate to Norwegian shark attack victim
The deputy governor of Prajuab Khirikhan province is organizing a massive whip-round after Werner Danielsen's Thai wife Amornrat said the insurance won't pay up.

And effectively shamed the Thais into action after their inaction.

Mr Danielsen has bills at Bangkok Hua Hin hospital totaling 300,000 baht.

Hua Hin municipality are showing willing by coughing up 10,000 baht. Now deputy governor Theeraphan Nanthakit is asking the private sector and state agencies to see how much they can come up with to ease Mr Danielsen's distress, reported Daily News.

Theeraphan called a crisis meeting at Prajuab HQ yesterday that included calls for the intriguing possibility that one day Thailand might have an official fund that tourists could have access to for similar occurrences and accidents that occur while on holiday - not necessarily shark attacks.

For now he asked all those concerned to help out the shark bite man.

He told the meeting that Mr Danielsen was insured in Norway and initially the company agreed to shell out 250,000 - an offer that was later rescinded after it was discovered that the policy had run out.

Many policies have a time limit and the Norwegian had been away several months.

https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/641292
Why? What's happened to personal responsibility? If this guy is bailed out what incentive is there to take out adequate insurance. Tough but true.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Maybe they could ask Bangkok Hospital to make a donation.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Why? What's happened to personal responsibility? If this guy is bailed out what incentive is there to take out adequate insurance. Tough but true.
Of course it could be a genuine mistake on the Norwegian's part. I'm sure he wouldn't have made a claim if he'd realised it had expired.

How many of us have got timings wrong..... "OMG I should have done my 90 day report last week" ...... "Just checked my bike and the tax ran out a couple of months ago" ..... etc etc.

Just giving this guy the benefit of the doubt.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

The way I read it, the policy didn't expire, he 'voided' by being out of country for 3 months, disqualifying his coverage. Oops.

I think, sit to be corrected.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

laphanphon wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:52 pm The way I read it, the policy didn't expire, he 'voided' by being out of country for 3 months, disqualifying his coverage. Oops.

I think, sit to be corrected.
How did they know that he was out of the country for more than 3 months ? Did they check his passport ?
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I would think, and not very hard to do. Place a claim from a foreign hospital, check when PP scanned out of Norway, and if scanned back in since injury ........ investigation done.

Insurance companies do any and everything to not pay out, and sometimes, if within the fine print, rightfully so.

Oh well. I think similar rule apply to UK healthcare, if registered living abroad, out of EU. Why many maintain a UK / EU address, even though basically living in Thailand. If checked, probably would void many of their coverage. Know quite a few that live here full time, and pop back the the UK, just for that reason, NHS coverage.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

It's a shame, those Scandinavian countries scaning their citizens, worse than North Korea. An insurance company can get informations from customs, to know when he left the country. And those people wants to criticize other countries about democracy and human rights.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

laphanphon wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:25 am
Insurance companies do any and everything to not pay out, and sometimes, if within the fine print, rightfully so.
That's why it's important to read the fine print. The policies spend 1% of the printed matter on what they cover, and 99% on what they don't.

Insurance serves a purpose, but I hate it.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.