Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Re: Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Post by johnjar »

caller wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 pm
johnjar wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pmHHTel "It always amazes me" Well it doesn't amaze me most of the posts are in English and doubt many locals read this forum it would be more prudent regarding sharks and sea life around Hua Hin for a English speaker to ask a local with local knowledge, who have far more knowledge on this subject, than any of us English speakers on this forum :)
HHTel is talking about the signs that have been put up using poor English to warn tourists about swimming safely. I'm not actually sure what you're talking about?
Hello caller... "I'm not actually sure what you're talking about" Well it's about listening to locals with local knowledge for many generations, versus some person who comes from halfway around the world spouting his opinion about signage! Simple.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

^
Here's an example of what HHTel is talking about.

C4mUg9_VYAAVeO7.jpg
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
:P
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

johnjar wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:54 pm
johnjar wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pmHHTel "It always amazes me" Well it doesn't amaze me most of the posts are in English and doubt many locals read this forum it would be more prudent regarding sharks and sea life around Hua Hin for a English speaker to ask a local with local knowledge, who have far more knowledge on this subject, than any of us English speakers on this forum :)
HHTel is talking about the signs that have been put up using poor English to warn tourists about swimming safely. I'm not actually sure what you're talking about?
Hello caller... "I'm not actually sure what you're talking about" Well it's about listening to locals with local knowledge for many generations, versus some person who comes from halfway around the world spouting his opinion about signage! Simple.
I'm still none the wiser, how many western tourists will able to liaise with the locals with all that knowledge?

But you were commenting on a post highlighting the poor use of English on signs that aren't actually a lot of help to the average tourist.
Talk is cheap
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

johnjar wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:25 pm... it would be more prudent regarding sharks and sea life around Hua Hin for a English speaker to ask a local with local knowledge, who have far more knowledge on this subject, than any of us English speakers on this forum :)
I very rarely ask a Thai about anything to do with wildlife, as I find that they have very little knowledge. Most Thais I know think that all snakes are venomous, and will kill them instantly. They believe that tokays are dangerous as they will stick to your head ( :shock: ) and bite you, and most of my students hate small lizards for the same reason.

OK, back to shark experts.... :offtopic:

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Jonjar, what planet are you from???
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

johnjar wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:54 pm

To be fair, just because someone is a local, doesn't always mean the know more that anyone and everyone from around the world.

Most locals who have lived in or around Hua-Hin for a fair amount of time are aware of the fact that jellyfish are a problem here, but most have no clue that there are sharks in the area as well. Withing the last few days alone, I've been told by at least 3 or 4 "locals" that sharks have come here now and that there has never been sharks here before.

And, as Vital Spark has pointed out, now that someone has, after all these centuries, actually been bitten by a shark in the area, 99% of the locals will guarantee you that every type of shark will attack you, just as every kind of snake is deadly.

Anyway, that's besides the point. The comment you responded to was about signboards and the English on those boards. Instead of spending money on having signs made which nobody can understand, why not ask any English speaking Farang to quickly proof read the message before it gets printed. I'm sure most of us would be happy to do so for free.

Oh, wait a minute, what do Farang know? Better to use Google Translate. I'm not having a dig at Thais, but let's be honest, have you ever met a Thai person who knows less than you do about any subject on earth?
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

The sign in question was a very clear warning "don't swim out more than 20 meters" in bold red and very simple to understand, as all warning signs should be short and concise.
Last edited by johnjar on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't think they have used Google Translate in this case. I have consulted with some of the 99% of local Thai experts who tell me the Thai text is just as vague. Maybe they were under instruction not to mention the S(hark), B(ite) words ana several other key words.

:idea: Maybe they could have warned about the dangers from the coral :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:22 am I don't think they have used Google Translate in this case. I have consulted with some of the 99% of local Thai experts who tell me the Thai text is just as vague. Maybe they were under instruction not to mention the S(hark), B(ite) words ana several other key words.

:idea: Maybe they could have warned about the dangers from the coral :?
A sign saying to stay within 20 meters probably does refer to start of coral line from the mean tide level, as there is a far higher risk from coral and barnacle’s than shark bites :idea:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That is the point - the sign doesn't say, "Stay within 20 Metres." Additionally, that beach is very steep - 3 Metres from the shore is probably too far if trying to avoid a shark risk. If the warning is about sharks (we're only being told this by Thai press, not the sign), the videos further up this page showed the sharks swimming in very shallow water.

A simple request to most beach users could have resulted in a sign that actually meant something, and relayed the correct message.

Points 41; Position 18
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Yes, most shark bites are in shallow water, and close to shore. I guess Thai officials never watch 'shark week', or saw clips of Orcas taking seals off the beach ..... 555

They'll never admit they got sharks cruising the coastline 24 / 7. Anyone thinking otherwise..........well, is an idiot. Size, type and frequency, along with food supply, of course contributes quite a bit of course. And why I won't dive with seals .... LOL
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

A sign saying to stay within 20 meters probably does refer to start of coral line from the mean tide level, as there is a far higher risk from coral and barnacle’s than
If the sign said that there'd be no confusion but the sign actually states:-

'Do not swim far over 20 meters'

So -don't swim too far as the water is 20 meters deep-
or -don't swim more than 20 meters to avoid exhaustion-
or -don't swim more than 20 meters in any direction-
or -don't swim much more than 20 meters-
or...........

Takes a bit of guesswork especially for non-English speaking foreigners.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

And as I pointed out, on that particular beach, if a shark had got a taste for human flesh (next attack probably at least 20 years away, if ever), 3 Metres is too far.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Agreed, BB.

As an aside, I love that poster/sign from Cha-Am that ginja showed. Got to be a winner!