Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Post by caller »

Maybe a separate thread is needed on translation, but up in Korat, the Mayor's office had a notice board provided by the Mall at one of the entrances and they put some blurb up about local tourist spots that had clearly just relied on google translate for English, because it was complete gobbledygook, none of it made any sense whatsoever. The Tourist Police also put something up at their small sub station near Yamo that made no sense.
Talk is cheap
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Interesting they are taking serious (on paper anyway) steps to prevent any future taste tests. Though personally, I'd rather see them build a platform over the area, so people can marvel at the lovely creatures. Oh well ........ good to keep jellies away, maybe.

At least they pulled their heads out of the coral ..... 2 meters, that's more like it, and more of the bite size, on that foot anyway.
"We counted at least four bull sharks on the first day," team member Thiphamat Uppanoi, also chief of the research centre of coastal resources in Chumphon, said. They are about one and two metres long
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... ark-attack
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

2 metres long is quite a big lump of fish. At least the sharks made an appearance for the authorities, and they were properly identified. Not quite the 50 sharks the Abbot was claiming though :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Can someone remember a while back there was a video of monkeys jumping in the sea from a big rock, getting out and doing it over and over again? Was it at this temple or Monkey mountain? If it was this one perhaps that’s what is attracting so many to an inlet with not that much food.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I remember, but it was the rocks at Khao Takiab (Monkey Mountain).

Points 41; Position 18
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

:oops:
Last edited by laphanphon on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Tracking 6 of them ...... LOL What about the other 1000s or so..... LOL
Gulf of Thailand/Area 320,000 km²
Just put some nets up at the popular beaches, and be done with it.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bull-s ... i-beaches/
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

If as they claim it also stops the jellyfish, it could be a good thing particularly at this time of year
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow!!! This one is a shocker, especially after the initial show of compassion and support by local authorities. The victim's insurance won't pay out, and local authorities have walked away from the 300,000 Baht bill.

Full story: New TV

Points 41; Position 18
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Why should the local authority ( and tax payers) foot the bill? The real question should be why is the bill so high? It seems way over the top to me.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Because it's Bangkok Hospital?
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

From looking at the photographs,he is obviously in one of the more luxurious rooms,that will be costing in excess of 10,000 baht a night.So if he has been there since the attack the room alone will have taken up 50% of that amount.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The article states he moved to Sri Nakharin Hospital at Khon Kaen University because the costs were getting excessive - I guess he's known about insurance not paying out for a while.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Another tourist has been bitten by a shark in the same Hua Hin area where a Norwegian was attacked two weeks ago.

This time the victim was a South Korean tourist believed to be staying in a condo in the Khao Tao area. They did not apparently seek hospital treatment.

The tourist is believed to have been swimming off the Sai Noi beach by the temple of Wat Tham Khao Tao despite warning signs forbidding swimming. The attack was confirmed by deputy governor of Prajuab Khiri Khan province Pongpan Vichiensamut, though it was not thought to be serious.

Buoys have been put in place but there is as yet no net preventing sharks. The authorities did not want fish to be harmed. Ban Muang reported that a fisherman had landed a 40-50 kilogram bull shark in the area. The authorities are about to ban fishing too.

http://www.banmuang.co.th/news/region/110217
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson