Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Re: Shark Attack - Had Sai Noi

Post by NOKYAI »

About a month ago I was dangling my rod off the fishing pier in HH. It was flat calm and you could see several large schools of tuna/mackerel in the bay, towards where the navy used to have its ships. They never got close enough for us to catch them, but there is food for predators if only passing through on migration.
It does feel a bit like the start to the first Jaws film though! A bit of low season excitement :-)
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Don't know what the authorities are worry about, as very few tourist actually swim in that sewer.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just back from my rubber necking cruise. A couple of things:

- The sharks in the video were a lot closer in/shallower than I had imagined. The second video was filmed from about this position (probably from the corner of the little observation point). As you can see, the tide was out, and where the sharks were swimming was a sand bar while I was there. This means they were in very shallow water.
DSC04413.jpg
DSC04413.jpg (120.77 KiB) Viewed 956 times
If you look towards the sea:
DSC04411.jpg
DSC04411.jpg (81.97 KiB) Viewed 956 times
- There was no entourage of officials, but a few film crews.

- My son started talking to the locals, and it seems the shark videos were not made by a lucky cameraman. The locals reckon these sharks have been moving in each evening. If you read the Thai text, I think it mentions please do something before somebody is attacked.

- Quite a few rubberneckers were waiting for this evening's show to begin.

- We drove around to Had Sai Noi for a late lunch on the beach. When we got there, we were surprised to see so many Farangs in the sea - most quite deep upto shoulder depth.

- There were no warning notices as per buksi's link, but there was a life guard patrolling the beach,
DSC04414.jpg
DSC04414.jpg (138.4 KiB) Viewed 956 times
- Whilst eating lunch, a couple of film crews arrived, made a short video near the beach entrance, and then moved onto the rocks on the left hand side of the beach.
DSC04415.jpg
DSC04415.jpg (141.33 KiB) Viewed 956 times
To me the most interesting thing was my son talking to the locals, and the fact they said it was a regular occurrence.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

laphanphon wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:47 pm Don't know what the authorities are worry about, as very few tourist actually swim in that sewer.
Scratch that though..........make that very few locals swim in that sewer.....only ding dong farang tourist and expats would be that dumb.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Catch them and make a big shark fins party.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

To me the most interesting thing was my son talking to the locals, and the fact they said it was a regular occurrence.
Oh well, that's good to know. I was beginning to think it was just some cute sharks having some Songkran fun! :laugh:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

....meanwhile on the Hua Hin Forum.....

:laugh:
GN.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Well, now it has made the news! But what caused the injuries? :roll:
....................................................................................
'Shark attack' off Hua Hin beach prompts investigation

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: The Department of Marine and Coastal Resources will send a patrol team to survey areas off a Hua Hin beach after a tourist was reportedly bitten by a shark, and video apparently showed sharks in the sea.

Department deputy chief Sophon Thongdee said so far there has been no confirmation that a Norwegian tourist sustained injuries from a shark attack while swimming at Sai Noi beach in Hua Hin on April 15.

Authorities had not yet reached a onclusion on the case, Thai media reported, despite the tourist's severe wounds and a video clip apparently showing sharks swimming in the area near Sai Noi beach.

The clip was posted by the abbot of Wat Kham Khao Tao to warn tourists about a possible shark attack.

Phra Khru Boonya Piram, abbot of Wat Tham Khao Tao, said the clip drew mixed reaction online. Some said that it might cause panic among tourists visiting Hua Hin.

He had did not intend to affect tourism, said the abbot, but just wanted to warn people to take extra caution while swimming.

He said he has lived in the temple for more than 20 years and saw severeal sharks swimming in waters in front of the temple in February this year.

Deputy Prachuap Khiri Khan governor Chotnarin Kerdsom said he has coordinated with all relevant agencies to survey the area where the tourist sustained injuries, and to seek information from the abbot.

Images of the tourist’s wounds were being examined by marine experts to find out whether they were from shark bites.

The deputy governor on Tuesday took officials to visit the 54-year-old Norwegian at Bangkok Hua Hin Hospital.

Dr Pongsak Boonyaleephan, assistant director of the hospital, said the tourist was admitted on the evening of April 15 with severe wounds to his left foot. The patient was given 19 stitches and his wounds gradually improved, said the doctor.

Ms Amornrat Paeng-nga, wife of the injured tourist, said her husband did not want to blame anyone for what happened. She wanted to thank people who rushed her husband to a hospital.

Her family loved Hua Hin, said the woman, and the incident would not discourage them from coming back to visit every year.

After hearing that a tourist had sustained injuries from a shark bite while swimming at Sai Noi beach near his temple, he then took a video of sharks and posted it online to warn people, said the abbot.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:51 pm Amazing how many shark experts we have on this forum now.

I wonder how many have been surrounded by them when diving in the Gulf of Thailand since there are so many out there, and Hua Hin has now just turned into Amity Island. :roll:

Shark bite or not this entire story has been blown out of all proportion, you're more likely to be killed by a falling coconut than bitten by a shark.
I agree it's bigger than it should be, but don't you think the over-reaction of taking videos down of sharks swimming, and the misleading announcements by medical experts at Bangkok Hospital and the Nation have just added to the intrigue. Its simply interesting watching the authorities trying to squirm their way out of it.

Amity Island? There were still plenty swimming at Had Sai Noi this afternoon - pretty deep as well.

More sharks were filmed again this evening, but I won't bother posting that because it'll probably be taken down also.

Points 41; Position 18
Kingburn
Novice
Novice

Post by Kingburn »

Bull Shark was it according to Thairath:
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

It's salt water, there's sharks in it. Only an idiot would believe otherwise. Some even don't mind fresh water, and Bull shark is notorious for that, and a nasty bugger. One to give a wide berth to if seeing.

Bull shark a good suspect for a taste test, unless just an oops, sorry, not food, didn't know you were human. Now have nasty taste in mouth .... 5555

Though good luck with seeing anything in that sewer. Was at Ao Manao the other day, waist high and couldn't see my feet clearly. A bit stirred up, as actually one of a few clean beaches, since at military base.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've now watched a couple of videos featuring bull sharks in shallow water from a similar angle, and certainly very similar characteristics.

Points 41; Position 18
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I'm guessing, just an oops on the shark's part. As a wee bit too small to be thinking about eating an adult human. Need to be a wee bit bigger, or in a pack to think about munching on something that big.

A few of these circling in open water would be more of a concern .... 555

Smile for the camera ....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HaHa - I see the videos of sharks swimming have been reinstated for the world to see (bottom of page 1). If you watch the 2nd video, you'll see it was a pack ( :laugh: is that the name for a group of sharks?)

[Edit] :laugh: I had to look it up - it's a Shiver, School or Shoal of sharks.

Points 41; Position 18
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Yea, always been school of fishys .... 555 or pod of mammals, them damn air breathers.

Unless hunting :shock: then a pack of ..... muscles with teeth .... :run: