Railway police face axe

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Railway police face axe

Post by Nereus »

Not sure that I follow this. The railway police are one thing, but from what I can make of this the intention is to transfer a lot of Royal Thai Police duties to local authorities. Are the existing traffic police also included? I guess one good thing that will happen is yet more emergency phone numbers. :twisted:
...................................................................................................................................
Railway police face axe in reform drive

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

The committee charged with drawing up a new police reform bill has agreed to abolish the railway police and transfer duties of traffic management and maintaining social order to local authorities.

Committee spokesman Kamnoon Sidhisamarn said Tuesday the panellists agreed that providing security on trains should be the responsibility of the State Railway of Thailand or other related agencies.

The Central Investigation Bureau or police stations covering areas where trains pass through could handle cases, he said.

The committee also agreed to transfer indirect police duties to other agencies, particularly large-sized local administrative ogranisations, he noted.

Mr Kamnoon said traffic management and maintaining social order duties would be handed over to local authorities across the country within 10 years.

Traffic management, he said, involves trying to ensure free-flowing traffic and enforcing traffic laws.

Such duties would be handed to the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and other city municipalities within two years, to town municipalities within three years and to other local authorities, depending on their state of readiness, he said.

Police would still be able to enforce these laws when there is an emergency situation, he noted.

Committee chairman Meechai Ruchupan said the key principle agreed upon by the panel Tuesday was to transfer indirect police duties to other agencies.

It would only be the transfer of duties, manpower would be left untouched, Mr Meechai said, adding that if officers wanted to continue performing the same duties, they could ask to be transferred to agencies handling the tasks.

"Those who have their duties transferred will not be laid off since there is still a manpower shortage," he said.
"They can use their knowledge and experience in performing other tasks."

He said the panel has held talks with local authorities about the transfer of some duties adding he did not believe these tasks would be a burden on the organisations in terms of workload or budgets.

Work on drafting the police reform bill would start in the next two or three weeks, according to Mr Meechai.
He said the panellists are also considering ways to boost efficiency.

Some tasks would be scrapped; for example, it would not be necessary for people to report to police if they lose their mobile phones or Sim cards as required by telecommunication operators.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Railway police face axe

Post by HHTel »

And these local authorities will have the power of arrest. If so, just another door for corruption.

Does anyone have the address for the Ministry of Silly Walks in Bangkok??
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Re: Railway police face axe

Post by NOKYAI »

Somebody’s pocket money stream is going to be cut!

Back to the old police vs army days.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!