Grab Coming to Hua Hin

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Re: Grab Coming to Hua Hin

Post by Phyton »

Daytime Cha-am to Hua Hin i use allways the bus. But i read this thread and thought to use Grab in nighttime. And before i would like just do a test ride.
Greets,
Phyton
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Phyton wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 3:33 pm Checked today, sunday 1:30 pm Market Village to Cha-Am. 410 Baht, reported by the App.
I took a ride on the bus.
Your average tuk-tuk driver will open with that to go as far as the airport bus station.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

WOW !

174.5 per min. Based on Grab car 698 for 4 min so 174.5 per min.. Mmmmmmm. 50 % driving paying customers on an 8 hour shift is 240 mins paying customer time. 240 x 174.5 = 41,880 Bt. 13,599 Bt. ( 56.666 x 240) for the cheapest grab taxi driver. Tell me I am having a blond moment or an I in the wrong business :?

Crazy 88
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Grab Coming to Hua Hin

Post by hhinner »

crazy88 wrote:WOW !

174.5 per min. Based on Grab car 698 for 4 min so 174.5 per min.. Mmmmmmm. 50 % driving paying customers on an 8 hour shift is 240 mins paying customer time. 240 x 174.5 = 41,880 Bt. 13,599 Bt. ( 56.666 x 240) for the cheapest grab taxi driver. Tell me I am having a blond moment or an I in the wrong business :?

Crazy 88
Definitely blonde. That 4 min is how long you will wait for that car to get to you. Image

Sent from my X98 Air II using Tapatalk

crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Yep

Either that or I am still living in an age when you had to walk 3 miles in the freezing cold with a pocket full of 10p and 2p coins to the red phone box outside the post office to call granny, who would be waiting at her posh friends house ( only one in the street that had a phone) then keep your hands warm clutching your fish and chips on the way home. The only people that had mobile phones were in Star Trek.

Crazy 88
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

They're what are called 'fond memories'....... lol
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

laphanphon wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:40 pm Uber no longer in Thailand. If Grab rates in HH, will be like Krung Thep, then you won't notice much difference. May even start to appreciate what you have already.

From elsewhere:
Where did you hear Uber is no longer in Thailand ? I just used them a few months ago, it was great. I am checking their website and it says Uber is in Bangkok still. :D :D
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There was an announcement a little while ago that Uber will cease operations in Thailand ahead of a merger with Grab.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Its here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=34161&p=461654#p461654

Anyone figured out why there is such a premium added on to Grab fares? Does the app take that much of a commission from the drivers or are they taking the piss themselves?

Only ever used it once to get a cab to Don Muang, found it very efficient and was willing to pay a little extra to have the cab come to the door rather than drag my bags down to 'bahk soi' and flag one down that probably wouldn't go there anyway.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was out with friends last night, and they were delighted with Grab. Taxi mafia price from their house to town has been 300 Baht for some time now. That has meant a 600 Baht on cost every time they want to go shopping, a bar, a restaurant, etc.

Last night home to town cost 140 Baht. Town to home cost 160 Baht.

Compared to the alternative, Grab seems very cheap.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Anyone figured out why there is such a premium added on to Grab fares? Does the app take that much of a commission from the drivers or are they taking the piss themselves?
Don't know about now, or Hua Hin, but last year in Bangkok I was paying for my granddaughter to use Grab to come home after school. There was a 20 Baht booking fee, and the rest of the fare was charged on the meter.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

buksida wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:33 pmAnyone figured out why there is such a premium added on to Grab fares?
Because tourist and expats will pay it.....555

Whatever the market threshold is. In HH, that just has to be the same or wee bit less than the silly charges now, and if provide same, or a bit better service, then they don't have to charge much less. :cheers:
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

From what I can see I don't find any premium added. No way could I haggle to get the prices Grab are offering me. Last night was 200baht from soi 102 (2.5km inland) into town

Now at bluport its showing here to airport at 220

Better prices than I got laat year AFTER doing some really irritating bargaining (which I am shit at)
buksida

Post by buksida »

I was just commenting on the attachment above showing prices, good to hear they're sensible now.

Either way Grab is a welcome development that may take some of the dominance away from Hua Hin's taxi mafia.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

MDMK wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 11:36 am From what I can see I don't find any premium added. No way could I haggle to get the prices Grab are offering me. Last night was 200baht from soi 102 (2.5km inland) into town

Now at bluport its showing here to airport at 220

Better prices than I got laat year AFTER doing some really irritating bargaining (which I am shit at)
Better, but still a bit silly. Y'all need to buy a scooter, for hoppin around town and a car for heavy shopping. :thumb: