7-15-2004; Same-same, but different...

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
ATAdmin

7-15-2004; Same-same, but different...

Post by ATAdmin »

The title say it all. So here's the run down...

Bird flu now in nine provinces. Story here. On this same note, I was having a conversation with some mates last night about bird flu and a bar owner in particular expressed concern that bird flu outbreaks would make for a bad tourist season. However I do not agree.

Consider that last year when the high season was just beginning that the SARS outbreak hit. Indeed that did hit the tourism industry pretty hard, but Thailand, while it was affected, still had a increase in visitors. Why am I bringing up SARS? Becuase SARS is a human virus which is easily communcable, bid flu is not. Yes, it has killed a dozen or so people, but they tend to be people who are infeeble, young or elderly living in the poorest conditions. Bird flu is not nearly as great a threat to people as SARS, which killed nearly a 1,000 people last year. All that being said, I think Thailand and Hua Hin will have its usual high tide of visitors this high season... Besides, you can always look to Thaksin: who denies there any bird flu at all.

AIDS conference is in full swing. Prostitutes think that they have the solution to the AIDS epidemic - maybe they do. Read on. In other conference news, Thai reporters are pissed because the conference is in - get this - English and they don't know what the hell is going on. Story here.

SPORT - Thailand's national team have beaten Newcastle United 4-2 on penalties after the premier league club's first match of their pre-season tour of Asia. Full story here.

BUSINESS: Thai SET is down in midday trading on worries about oil prices and bird flu.

2 government officials killed in south.

And in today's dumbass file; Chinese famers in row over stealing each other's rain clouds... More here.

Let me knwo what you think!
ATAdmin (TWJ)
http://www.atimes.com, http://www.thestandard.com.hk