Drugging and robbery in Cha-am

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Drugging and robbery in Cha-am

Post by kendo »

Drugging is common place across in Pattaya it makes you wonder if some bad people have come this way the last couple of years walking and drink around the area in my opinion does feel different.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

Happened to me on Samui some years back in one of the biggest and best known bars in Lamai beach. Several people got done over a period of a couple of weeks and in retrospect it was fairly obvious they were targeting single males purely for theft. I was robbed of about US $400 and some travellers cheques. Had no idea what hit me. Eventually had it explained to me by someone in the know that it was rohypnol (roofys, to E-Dork) or valium, in solution, frozen into an ice cube and added to my ice bucket by one of the helpful bar staff. Keeping my eyes on the bottles wouldn't have helped at all. No lasting harm, though I did wake up in a shop doorway with a serious headache and mozzed to within an inch of my life!
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

Korky said..
in a shop doorway with a serious headache and mozzed to within an inch of my life!
Sorry to hear about that - sounds nasty. Just curious, never come across the word 'mozzed' before. I am taking a guess that in the context of the sentence it means beaten up?
If it's within arms reach, there's nothing to worry about!!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Mozzed = Mosquito bitten. correct Korky?

Another trick is a pill on the tongue. French kiss and she/he has got ya
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

Richard said...
Another trick is a pill on the tongue. French kiss and she/he has got ya
How the hell does that work? During the kiss he/she places the pill in your mouth. Meanwhile you are unaware of having a pill in your mouth. Unaware of the horrible taste any drug in tablet from gives off in contact with saliva. Able to swallow the pill without knowing.

I think what your talking about Richard is probably more down to 'Sneaky Bitch Myth' than reality.

I'm not sure how you 'French Kiss' Richard and I don't know what is the norm, but I certainly don't SWALLOW :shock: . You would have to do this in order to close the little flap on the trachea which stops food getting down there, otherwise, with the pill going down there, you will have a bit of a coughing fit like a gulp of a drink going 'down the wrong way/whole'.

Failing the pill going down the wrong whole thing and failing that you don't swallow while you kiss, all that's left is that the nasty grl leaves you with a pill in your mouth. If THAT is when you swallow it well..... if your that dumb you deserve to be relieved of evrything you own.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

bang on Richard - covered with mosquito bites! lucky not to end up with Malaria or Dengue. Perhaps I should have used Mozzered instead?

A few people pointed out to me that in many countries, I might well have taken a beating while out, and so as learning experiences go probably it was better to have it in Thailand. They actually left me a couple of thousand baht, no doubt so I could survive until I could find some way to get more money. A better class of mugger, I suppose, than some have recently experienced.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

Don't worry too much about the mozzie's. You can sleep outside, bitten to high buggary, but the only worry really is incessant itching. This is where I was a little confused with the meaning of the word within a sentence ending in 'within an inch of my life', hence I assumed the word meant a beating. Not much chance ya gonna catch much from sleeping with mosquitoes unless you're in the jungle and asleep during the daytime - when the disease carrying mosquitoes are present.

Lucky you came out unscathed (almost) anyway :cheers:
hd1450
Novice
Novice

Post by hd1450 »

Hi.
New on the forum. Bought a home in CA in the winter. Should be 6-8 weeks a year, for the first years.
Thought we had bought a house in a quiet and safe city, but been a little put out when this could happen in the "safe" Cha Am.
Have been looking at some bars in the city and will say that it seems safe and quiet.
However, bandits, could be all places?
Going down in January again and will try to make myself more familiar to find good and safe bar then :-) Some recommendations ?

best regards :)
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

hd1450 wrote:Hi.
New on the forum. Bought a home in CA in the winter. Should be 6-8 weeks a year, for the first years.
Thought we had bought a house in a quiet and safe city, but been a little put out when this could happen in the "safe" Cha Am.
Have been looking at some bars in the city and will say that it seems safe and quiet.
However, bandits, could be all places?
Going down in January again and will try to make myself more familiar to find good and safe bar then :-) Some recommendations ?

best regards :)

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Secondly, you'll notice this incident took place quite some time ago, and we've not hear of any other similar reports apart from one in Hua-Hin, and to be honest, most of us on here didn't quite believe it.

Whether Cha-Am is safer than Hua-Hin is debatable, but I personally don't and never have felt threatened. While I'm not saying drink spiking never happens, I don't think it happens as often as many tend to believe. A little example...........

Just last week a new restaurant opened across the road from us. Friends of the owners went around for a meal and etc. While there, the lady (Farang) started feel strange and dizzy. Concerned, they owners called an ambulance, which in turn took her to the hospital, where she was kept in for the night. Was her meal or drink spiked? No. She simply succumbed to the heat. Had this happened in one of the Binta bars, people would immediately suspect her drink was spiked.

I have found myself in what are probably some of Thailand's shadiest venues, and have never had a drink spiked, and yes, I can't even remember the number of times my drink has been left unattended. Silly thing to do I know, but I'm just one of those people who can't be bothered worrying about everything. Saying that, maybe the drink spikers can sense the fact that I'm a lost cause as far as robbing me is concerned. Seriously though, even in places that are strictly Thai, I've not encountered any problems at all, apart from every second Thai offering me a drink. :shock: :laugh:

BTW........some "Thai only" venues can be a huge amount of fun, especially if it's a place that attracts an older crowd (30+).

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I have found myself in what are probably some of Thailand's shadiest venues
I bet you have... :laugh:

Those were the days eh! :cheers:

Like Takiap, I have never felt threatened in any way here really. As long as you don't do anything really silly and keep your wits about you you will generally be okay... same as any country really.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

GLCQuantum wrote:
I have found myself in what are probably some of Thailand's shadiest venues
I bet you have... :laugh:

Those were the days eh! :cheers:

Like Takiap, I have never felt threatened in any way here really. As long as you don't do anything really silly and keep your wits about you you will generally be okay... same as any country really.

Damn right they were, :thumb:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
hd1450
Novice
Novice

Post by hd1450 »

Thank you.
Always nice to get answers from people who know the area :thumb: