Somdet Doh

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Somdet Doh

Post by Big Boy »

This is what my wife calls this place – I can’t find anything else with this reference on the Internet, so more information would be gratefully received. This temple site has been developing for almost 2 years now. It is situated just off the main highway on your left a couple of miles North of Cha-Am.
Entrance signage
Entrance signage
DSC04085b.JPG (115.08 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
My wife has been asking me to stop there for a while now. As we were travelling that way this morning with a bit of time in hand, I stopped. Please remember, this is a project very much under development.

Mine was the only car in the large car park, prompting me to ask the others in the car if it was open.

There are a lot of temporary buildings there. Looking around, I would guess that these buildings were being used to ‘tastefully’ store religious items (and some 'not so religious) that will be moved into the main buildings when they have been constructed. There was some nice stuff.
used to ‘tastefully’ store religious items (and some 'not so religious) that will be moved into the main buildings when they have been constructed
used to ‘tastefully’ store religious items (and some 'not so religious) that will be moved into the main buildings when they have been constructed
DSC04087b.JPG (131.42 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
DSC04089b.JPG (144.51 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
DSC04093b.JPG (125.47 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
Now the downside, it already taking on a Wat Huey Mongkol feel, with many items for sale, and large safes to store the money.
many items for sale
many items for sale
DSC04094b.JPG (134.73 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
many items for sale
many items for sale
DSC04095b.JPG (136.37 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
As you walk through the temporary building there are some impressive medium sized images:
some impressive medium sized images
DSC04104b.JPG (152.51 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
DSC04106b.JPG (152.05 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
Along the space is a little area where there are some colourful birds, cows and other animals. I’m not sure what the purpose of this mini-zoo is, but it’s a nice distraction. There was a sign in Thai that indicated that you had to pay money for something.
area where there are some colourful birds, cows and other animals
area where there are some colourful birds, cows and other animals
DSC04120b.JPG (129.63 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
At the back is where the image of Somdet Doh sits. He’s a big brute, and they are constructing an even larger building around him.
Somdet Doh
Somdet Doh
DSC04116b.JPG (133.42 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
This is a huge site, and there’s a lot of construction going on all around the place. It’ll be interesting to come back here in 12 months time to compare the differences.
a lot of construction going on all around the place
DSC04118b.JPG (119.78 KiB) Viewed 6939 times

At the moment, this is a wheelchair friendly site.

More photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1
Attachments
DSC04119b.JPG (101.98 KiB) Viewed 6939 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Somdet Doh

Post by usual suspect »

Seen the umpteen posters on the side of the main rd around there..sorry but what a strange looking Buddha image..almost sinister.
(His face reminds me of a 'Baddie' either from a Thunderbirds show or off an early Dr Who series..poss 'the Master'..?)
Big Boy

Re: Somdet Doh

Post by Big Boy »

I can't disagree US, and there are a couple of similar but different characters in amongst the medium sized images. Dr Who could have a field day with some if the others :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18