What's the big draw to Ch-am?

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
pfotoguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pfotoguy »

theprice01
Professional
Professional

Re: Cha-am

Post by theprice01 »

The main draw for me is that it's not as busy as Hua-hin
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Easy vehicular access to the beach.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It depends what you mean - as can be seen by the two different answers you've had.

Do you mean what are the advantages of living there rather than HH or what is the attraction of a short visit to Cha-am?

It is generally quieter than HH, but it gets packed out on weekends and public holidays.

The beach is much more accessible than HH.
This is the way
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: What's the big draw to Ch-am?

Post by usual suspect »

My Mrs wanted a BIG teddy bear as a raffle prize..she then asked to be taken to Cha-Am..(she'd seen lots of stuffed bears etc just after the lights on the main Rd thru')
That shop had closed..& we got directed into town..on the west side of the main drag...well..
after trying to take a car shopping in HH this was heaven..my Ranger is a big old lump, but could park outside each shop we were directed to.. :cheers:
Got 2 big bears..wifey insisted on them being belted-up on the back seats.. :laugh:
And I drove home..with a promise to my self to go back again 1 day & browse the market area etc.
On a purely different note..when I cycle to there for breakfast, I sit along the beach Rd for half hour & observe what comes past you..Cha Am kinda 'waking up' to another day of beach-side business.. so much slower, & less intense somehow than HH.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I remember HH being like that. Been here 12 years before MV, McDonalds, KFC and the like. Take your car any time day or night and park anywhere. 'The times, they are a-changing!'
pfotoguy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pfotoguy »

I meant living there as opposed to HH. Nightlife, bars, not for drinking necessarily but socializing
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In that case, I would think cost has a lot to do with it. Generally, you seem to get an awful lot more for your Baht when buying there. I wouldn't necessarily say it was quieter, because many Hua Hin developments are built in the back of beyond.

When I moved here, I was 80% sure that I would buy in Cha-Am, but ended up in Hua Hin. I've no regrets whatsoever.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pfotoguy wrote:I meant living there as opposed to HH. Nightlife, bars, not for drinking necessarily but socializing
I live about 6kms outside Cha Am on the HH side so I can go to either town although HH is near on 20 km's from our house. Although not as many as in HH there are sufficient number of restaurants and bars in CA and a surprisingly big expat community - if you go to the once a week night market on a Wednesday, there are a few restaurant/bars that are heaving with expats. Shopping wise for western items, I normally go to Makro in HH, but it's just before the main part of the town so no major traffic issues to navigate and plenty of parking. As others have mentioned, there's a beach road which is handy if your a beach lover, but give it a wide berth on weekends and public holidays as it gets very busy with Thais visiting from Bangkok. There's a very good fresh market every day that sells everything Thai food wise. Plenty of housing, both villas and condos to choose from and of course its 25 km's closer to BKK for when you need to travel or receive visitors.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

For me the attraction of Cha Am is the stretch of beach beginning about Sai Yoi, heading north and ending just before Hat Cha Am. I've been visiting this area for a couple of decades. Beach access is limited to a few roads off the highway, so the beach is usually clean and mostly empty. The lack of a "beach road" (except in the vicinity of the Springfield Resort) means that there is little road traffic and very few businesses. There are interesting places to dine both in the village adjacent to The Regent, along the highway and in Cha Am proper. The lack of traffic makes getting to these places relatively pain free.

The main drawback is that, AFAIK, there is no longer any pace offering draught beer. (Please tell me I'm wrong....)
Phyton
Professional
Professional

Post by Phyton »

Right now till january 3th Draftbeer Leo and Singh at Cha-Am Countdown at the Viewoint.
Greets,
Phyton
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Phyton wrote:Right now till january 3th Draftbeer Leo and Singh at Cha-Am Countdown at the Viewoint.
Indeed. We drove by after lunch today.