Bird buffs flock to Phetchaburi

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
buksida

Bird buffs flock to Phetchaburi

Post by buksida »

Bird watchers have welcomed a campaign to promote Phetchaburi as the "capital of bird watching", seeing it as a means to raise awareness about biodiversity and the environment.

Kiattisak Klomsakul, chairman of the Phetchaburi bird watching club, said the province has become famous for its variety of avian species and deserves to be recognised as such.

According to Mr Kiattisak, more than 500 species of native and migratory birds can be spotted in the province and that number is more than half of all species found in the country.

"What we have here is diversity. There are migrating birds, predator birds and rare and graceful birds. I think it deserves to be known as the capital of bird watching," he said.

The "Phetchaburi: Capital of Bird Watching" campaign is the latest idea from the Tourism Authority of Thailand's Phetchaburi office to capitalise on the natural resources of the province.

Phetchaburi is becoming a favourite choice among holidaymakers thanks to its variety of attractions -- beaches, mangrove forests, historical sites and the national park. But for both casual and hardcore bird watchers, the province has long been their No.1 destination.

Full story: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... hetchaburi
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: Bird buffs flock to Phetchaburi

Post by Vital Spark »

Oh, dear. I fear the Petchaburi bird watching club may live to rue the day they decided to have an article posted in the Bangkok Post.

I would have thought that serious bird watchers are already aware of that area being a great place for bird watching. The last thing wildlife and bird watchers need is bus loads of tourists turning up to catch a glimpse of the wonderful birdlife hoping to take a selfie with a toucan. :|

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"