Rental property listings question

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
JimmyD
Amateur
Amateur

Rental property listings question

Post by JimmyD »

I recently moved here from the states after renting a condo in advance with the help of a local company "sight unseen" for 6 months. I know, not smart but I was concerned about showing up during 'high season' and went with 6 month lease to get a lower per month rate. Not happy with my choice (but knew the risk) so am considering other options for when my lease expires June 30.

However, I don't have my own car and motorbike is not an option I would consider (too risky for me). Therefore, previously posted suggestions to drive around town in search of 'for rent' signs and living outside of town (even a short distance) would create other logistical issues.

Given the situation and the fact that I don't yet know anyone here, I wouldn't mind paying a little more for professional assistance in looking at other options well before my lease expires. However (and I know this is probably a touchy topic… so tell me if I'm stepping over any invisible lines), I get the vague impression that many listings, at least in my price range (about 30000B/mo for a 1 bdrm/1 bath in town or 5 minute walk to the baht bus route; that's not cramped and is in 'good' condition), are not what they appear to be. If not, then I would be wasting both mine and listing companies time. Plus, the last thing I want to do is create any kind of 'bad' feelings between myself and others.

I realize I may be asking for a lot in location and price (and understand that 'good condition' is a relative term). But bear in mind that it will be low season July 1 and I would be willing to sign up to a 1 year lease (and a few months rent in advance) if that were to help lower the price to my range and increase the quality of the accommodations.

Any and all constructive advice on this topic given my current situation would be greatly appreciated.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Rental property listings question

Post by hhfarang »

You'll need to walk the sois of the downtown areas you're interested in and look for signs. You can save a lot of money by dealing directly with the owners and many are not advertised other than with a sign out front. You actually may be lucky and find something well below 30k per month long term that is not directly downtown, but on or near the baht bus routes, so I'd just ride the bus until I saw an interesting area and hop off and walk around for an hour or so. With all the new bus routes that should keep you busy looking and discovering parts of Hua Hin you wouldn't otherwise know about. It could be fun.

We're a bit past easy walking distance to the nearest baht bus route (for me; between 1 and 2 kilometers but we have cars) but 5 to 10 minutes drive from the center of town and we got a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath, large garden bungalow for 20k per month and the owner pays for all maintenance including monthly pest control and all garden care. Good values are out there, you just have to do a lot of leg work.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?