Weekday tourists needed to boost Hua Hin's hotel sector

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
buksida

Weekday tourists needed to boost Hua Hin's hotel sector

Post by buksida »

HUA HIN'S inability to fill hotel rooms during the week and an expanding serviced apartments sector are weakening the destination's ability to become a more sustainable year-round market, new research shows.

Year-on-year occupancy declined four percentage points to 68 per cent last year, according to C9 Hotelworks' Hua Hin 2014 Hotel Market Update.

Even though the average daily rate increased to US$160, RevPAR declined 1.4 per cent to US$80, compared to the previous year.

The reliance on the domestic weekend market – accounting for 72 per cent of visitors in 2014 – is one of the market's key limiting factors which recent improvements in infrastructure and attractions have failed to overcome, said Bill Barnett, managing director of C9 Hotelworks.

“A resoundingly strong domestic segment is continuing to spur upward rate growth, which is a trend most evident at upscale beachfront hotels," he said. "But the inability to fill rooms during the week poses questions over whether an anticipated shift in long-term maturity is possible.”

Hua Hin currently has 9,157 rooms in registered properties with a further 691 keys in the pipeline between now and 2018, though research predicts the expanding condominium and serviced apartments sector will continue to erode performance at traditional hotels.

Barnett said to TTG Asia e-Daily: “The substantial build-up of resort condominiums in Hua Hua and Cha Am will undoubtedly hit midscale hotels the most, in terms of competition by non-traditional hotel supply.”

Recent developments in Hua Hin include the opening of Vana Nava Water Park, which will be expanded to include a 300-room Holiday Inn hotel and a residential unit, while 2016 will see the launch of BluPort Resort Mall.

These private-sector investments will increase Hua Hin's allure, but other competing Thai destinations also pose a challenge. Barnett added: “Clearly, in the two-horse race between Hua Hin and Pattaya to capture Bangkok’s leisure market the latter holds a wildcard in terms of direct access.”

Source: TTG Asia
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Weekday tourists needed to boost Hua Hin's hotel sector

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:Even though the average daily rate increased to US$160,
:shock: Is that right?

Obviously I don't stay in Hua Hin hotels, but I've been staying in a few 4* hotels elsewhere in Thailand in the last 12 months, and have never paid even 25% of that. It's no wonder Hua Hin is struggling.

I've just checked Top-end Accommodation on the right of the screen, and $160 does seem very high.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Hua hin is in danger of losing it's charm as a 'beach resort'..with the current restrictions on beach vendors etc making the sandy strip up to Takiap a bit of a (dare I say) sterile zone, plus the ever-increasing development of shopping outlets etc, a few years from now the lure of this town/city may have swung towards glass covered retail structures with an overhead mono-rail shuttle swooping into M.V. Blu-port & the many others, rather than the option of sun-baked sand & surf.
(I know when my mum is here next week..if she cannot lay on a bed under a large parasol with fresh fruit vendors milling-by on H.H. beach she'll stay pool-side).
Did someone mention midweek discount on room-rates?..is it not the norm for Thais to put rates UP if trade is down/slow to compensate..bit like a certain floating market's strategy.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Hua hin is in danger of losing it's charm as a 'beach resort'..
IMHO it lost that about seven years ago. :cry:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

I spoke to restaurant owners & guest-house owners today, & both parties told me this is the shortest high-season H.H has ever had!
The trade from tourists seemed to take a nose-dive about 2 weeks ago..& is still in free-fall!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It's easter school holidays in the UK starting next week, so there could be a mini revival for the next two weeks
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Many international schools go on Songkran/term break holidays April 4-19 which could help. Thai schools are on year end break as well until sometime in May. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

Heaven forbid, it's the only time of the week you can move on the streets. Let's pray for a shorter high season next year.
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?