House market in Hua Hin

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Re: House market in Hua Hin

Post by johnjar »

Nereus wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:05 pm
in the early 80's when I first came to Thailand the fx rate usd/thb was 22, and again in 1997 the Asian market crash it went to nearly usd/thb was 50,
Actually, the Thai Baht was pegged at 25 Baht to the US Dollar from the early 80,s up until it was floated on 2nd July 1997. It reached a low of 56 to the Dollar in January 1998.
Nereus…Well we are are both in the ball park….Yes currency versus property is all swings and roundabouts, another example look at the aus dollar v usd in about 1981 it was $1.25 usd to buy an Ozzy, now its only worth 0.76 USD, therefore the Ozzy has lost 39% of its value since then.

Tangible asset’s like property in good locations always increase in value, especially, in area's I mentioned and other thriving areas of Hua Hin they sell and rent easily.Whether the buyer is for a home for life with loved ones or just a investment Hua Hin is growing fast and a great place to invest.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... anley-says

The dollar is threatened by six years of weakness as stronger global growth will outweigh any boosts from interest-rate increases by the Federal Reserve, according to Morgan Stanley.

Investors should short the greenback against emerging-market currencies and the euro as growth gathers momentum.
Last edited by johnjar on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

MikaQ5 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:28 pm
jingjoe wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:49 pm
RCer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Yes, I knew that, but still no return on investment until the house sells at a profit above cost to maintain.
Theoretically if i sold the house for 3million ( 1 million less than i paid) i am up 500 000bht, then take off maintenance and monthly fees, probably come out square

So therefore ( as selling on a house in Hua Hin seems to be difficult - need to heavily discount because of such an oversupply etc ) what's the point of buying versus renting ( in Hua Hin area )

I have recently moved to Hua Hin and am thinking to buy also but it seems to be tying up money in a asset that will be extremely hard to sell in the future( even if it's leaving the asset to family in the event of passing on ) - that makes little sense to me anyway

It's an extremly interesting topic by the way
MikaQ5...Landlords grow rich in their sleep :wink:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... anley-says

"Investing should be more like watching paint dry or watching grass grow. If you want excitement, take $800 and go to Las Vegas." Paul Samuelson
Socrates

Post by Socrates »

In this time in Thailand is a oversupply from 60.000 - 80.000 condominiums and houses. Normaly the prize should be under pressure, but here is not a normal market.

http://www.construction-property.com/read-news-1039

Russian, Chinese and even rich Thai people buy real estate only for to invest. You can see in Pattaya and in Hua Hin, when you walk next to the beach and watch the condominiums. In most of them, you will never see any light.

We have space in Laguna Village in Soi 102 in Hua Hin and we are looking for a house to buy additional..

Some owner would like to sell since 2-3 years. Their prize is 1-2 Million over. But they dont think about to reduce. So we don’t think to buy.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

johnjar wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:02 pm
Pagey wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:07 pm
RCer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Yes, I knew that, but still no return on investment until the house sells at a profit above cost to maintain.
No one has mentioned any return on investment, just the opposite in fact.
Discussing investment return aspect of house market in Hua Hin, if you bought in a good thriving area such as Bonkai [Soi 88 to 94] or Soi Naebkehardt, say 10 or 20 odd years ago, these areas have probably increased their value tenfold,and giving buyer a very good return on their investment and a home to boot :)
johnjar
The wifes parents have 2 beachfront properties on Naebkehardt, purchased in 1999. They have, as you mentioned, gone up in value by approx 8 times what they paid back then.

They also have many other businesses rental properties in HH, all of which have increased in value.
However, these properties are investments, bought for the rental income, not bought as homes.

Plenty of second hand homes in HH, with prices to suit most budgets, just advise anyone to take time before buying.
:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

Khundon1975 ....Exactly right properties in prime areas in Hua Hin will always increase in value and also is still growing and getting better all the time, and good advise " take time before buying " :)
Socrates

Post by Socrates »

If no big changes in politics and the Baht will not become higher than last year, the market has to come down, if a seller realy want or need to sell.

What I can see is, that owners have advertising for to sell, but with very high prize. After a while, the advertising to sell disappeared and came back after 1 year.

That means, they only observe the market and waiting for a stupid one.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

In 2005 we purchased a new house just off Soi 88 at the back of the lookout mountain. (3 br, 3 en suite bathrooms and one hallway bathroom about 300 sq mtr total with inside and nice outside kitchen, pool with spa, gorgeous woodland location, 10 min to downtown) We spent 8.5 mil on it and sold it a year later for 9 mil. The folks who bought it couldn't make their loan payments so late last year we repossessed it and it is now on sale for 8.3 mil........I would be happy to get 7 mil. That's pretty much where the market is today. Not good or bad just kind of stagnant.....and has been that way for several years in my opinion.

In the U.S. where we are from one could get good, solid information on real estate activity....prices, how long on the market etc. Here you will only get second hand info at best......so if you're buying take your time to sort out what you are told from reality.
Socrates

Post by Socrates »

Hello..

If I understand right, uou want to sell me your house...

Please send pictures und more infornations to [Mod Edit] e-mail address removed at request of poster.
Thank you

Willy
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

T.I.G.R. wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:52 pm In 2005 we purchased a new house just off Soi 88 at the back of the lookout mountain. (3 br, 3 en suite bathrooms and one hallway bathroom about 300 sq mtr total with inside and nice outside kitchen, pool with spa, gorgeous woodland location, 10 min to downtown) We spent 8.5 mil on it and sold it a year later for 9 mil. The folks who bought it couldn't make their loan payments so late last year we repossessed it and it is now on sale for 8.3 mil........I would be happy to get 7 mil. That's pretty much where the market is today. Not good or bad just kind of stagnant.....and has been that way for several years in my opinion.

In the U.S. where we are from one could get good, solid information on real estate activity....prices, how long on the market etc. Here you will only get second hand info at best......so if you're buying take your time to sort out what you are told from reality.
Totally agree with your perception of the housing market here.

I am looking to sell a place in Australia, the agent visited the property, took loads of photos, identified things to fix, provide a local market history of sales in the last year and gave a suggestion of what it may go for. Commission is fixed by the state and very minimal.

By comparison I tried to sell a property here, all the agent said was write up details about the house, send that with photos and the price you want and we will put on our web site, our commission is 4%.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I would think that exchange rates could be a good part of how the prices changes. As an example, a few years back the Scandinavian currencies were much stronger so people could afford to pay more in Thai baht (I do not know about Euro, Pound and USD though). Now the prices for a lot of properties has been stagnant or gone a bit down since less people can afford spending more when the exchange rate is poor as it is now.
YNWA
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

That may be so however the vast majority of house purchases are by Thais not foreigners, so exchange rates only impact a small number of purchases.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

This is very interesting article in Financial Times and Reuters, however they are mostly focused in the increase in buyers from Asian not Europe or US

https://www.ft.com/content/5c3e125a-6de ... fe0c5b7eaa

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-thai ... SKBN1AI0U5
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

In that article they are referring to Condominiums. Although I agree that the Chinese will become big investors, how are they going to get around the current land ownership laws? I doubt that any Chinese would enter into some form of lease or company ownership to buy free standing houses.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Do you know how many Thai/Chinese families there are here, do you think they do not have a plan
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

StevePIraq wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:04 pm Do you know how many Thai/Chinese families there are here, do you think they do not have a plan
The article is not about Thai / Chinese families. It is about mainland Chinese investing in Thailand.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!