Tessaban property tax

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Re: Tesaban Tax

Post by poosmate »

How is the sqm of the built up property assessed?
When a property is registered a plan is submitted the size comes from this.
I have not heard of an extra tax for a pool but anything is possible. If the house plan includes a pool then I guess they use that.
Cannot see where a pool tax comes from and as Crazy88 points out what is the difference between a large pond that is used for swimming and a pool?
Ask a lawyer and get an answer if you do not like the answer ask another lawyer who will give you another :wink:
How can Thai lawyers ever maintain face unless they just make things up when they do not know the answer.For sure if they are like the Thais I have asked directions from they will never say 'I do not know' :laugh:
no more dePreston
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

JimmyGreaves wrote: This seems wrong based it on what we paid the tessabahn last year,
You sure the lawyer knows what's he's talking about? Typical Thailand confusion.
I agree with you that this is a very confusing situation right now.
The paper I referred to and read, is a paper written by Tessabahn and distributed to all property solicitors in Hua Hin.

Tessabahn IS charging way too much these days, some times more than tripled prices from last year, sometimes doubled.
(Something to do with if they like you or not).
The thing is that the municipality can't come up with any legal piece of paper from the government to back up the new prices.
If they can't provide any evidence by noon February 15th. the mayor will be informed of the mistrust to his department and something must happen.
I'm advised not to go to the office and pay, just to sit on the fence and see what's happening.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

crazy88 wrote:How do they decide whether the fishpond is a swimming pool or the swimming pool a fishpond?
Fish.

crazy88 wrote:Is the pool tax based on size?
For Pool tax? No it can't be size can it, they're so small that most people don't even know they have them, it's based on weight oddly enough. This link details it well: HERE

SJ
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Norseman wrote

"The thing is that the municipality can't come up with any legal piece of paper from the government to back up the new prices."

Probably because there is not one although I could be wrong.

Say the land is Thai owned, which of course it has to be even by majority of a company. What is the tax on the following?

You install a lampost

You pitch a tent

You put up a small tin roofed shack with a toilet in it

You build a wooden hut with a roof

You make a concrete slab with a basic roof and plastic sheeting to keep out the elements.

You upgrade to wooden siding on the structure.

You replace wooden siding for blockwork

You render and paint the blockwork

You build a wall around the boundary (Height a factor?)

You plant some plants

You adopt a cat or a cow.

Pool

pond

Snooker room

sundeck

etc...................

Crazy 88
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Have you been looking over my wall? ...........I will be giving the cow back it keeps falling in my tiled fishpond.
no more dePreston
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

crazy88 wrote: Probably because there is not one although I could be wrong.
Think you are spot on there crazy88.

Don't know much about the cow though :thumb:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

crazy88 wrote:
How do they decide whether the fishpond is a swimming pool or the swimming pool a fishpond?
Super Joe answered:
Fish.
:lach: :lach: :lach:

So if pool tax is higher than fish pond tax, you just have to find one fish that can live in chlorinated water! :wink:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Scrapping the cow as my neighbour has one that cost more than a pool which they will probably tax me on. As the dog likes to sit in a pool to cool down I will call it a "dog bath" if I install one and see what they make of that. Alternatively I could sign the pool area over to the tessabaan and theoretically make them responsible for its maintenance.

Crazy 88
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

JimmyGreaves wrote:
Norseman wrote:Met up with a lawyer today.
He gave me the following information how to find out the correct Local Tax rate in Hua Hin.

Single house - 1 storey located outside the inner city circle = 24 Baht /Sq. meter

Single house 2 storey = 29 Baht / Sq. meter.
Single house 3 storey = 30 Baht / Sq. meter

Then the formula.

Your house living area x 24 Baht (1 storey house) x 12 (months) x 12,5% = Local Tax.

If you have a swimming pool they'll charge you an additional 3000 Baht for the luxury of owing it.

Does this make sence?

In addition to that he said you can not be charged for not paying the fee in the past years because Tessabahn didn't inform you to pay the tax before you receive the letter.

He also said that some of the tax payers have been informed by Tessabahn that the prices have been doubled since last year.
That is not true.
It's a scam he said.
If the municipality can't come up with any proof of the increased taxation then just pay the old correct sum of money or just sit on the fence and wait.
Later pay the penalty fee of 200 Baht, caused by the delay + the correct tax.
This seems wrong based it on what we paid the tessabahn last year, exactly 5220 thousand baht for house and 40 baht for land. (They required copy of chanote etc). Hope this doubled the tax what your talking about is wrong. Don't make any sense to me. as I'm going in to pay next week, rather the missus is. We never get a letter the missus just goes and pays as she know a couple of people who had to pay for previous years. You sure the lawyer knows what's he's talking about? Typical Thailand confusion. Arghhhhhh!

Based on above it equals 250sqm 2 storey based on the above calcs = 10875 (No Pool)

Do you have to pay if you own land in say hin lek fai ?
Well the missus went to visit the dreaded Tessabahn today and yes they now want 9000 baht nearly double what we paid last year, told her not to pay yet.

Yes we are in the tessabahn area, not sure when the house got registered, the building permit & land are registered to a company. Does this scenario mean we are having to pay the company rent which we are not?

Anyone have any update on this?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

An update on what was said in the tessabahn. There are now 3 zones liable for tax with higher rates for each.

1. Beach side of Petchakasem
2. Other side of Petchakasem
3. Everything after soi 102.

I didn't go so have no idea how the flat 9,000 baht is calculated with relation to these zones.

Also the word falang kept coming up arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I take it that list is in the order of highest to lowest of the new rates. Which "zone" was the property in that drew the 9000 baht tax.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

I know a few people who was so fed up with out local municipality that they drove down to Pratchuap Khirikhan to pay their tax there.
Polite and honest people in all three cases that I've heard of.
Think I'll go there myself. If I can save 3k just to drive down there it'll make my day.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Friend in Soi 94 just got his bill for last 4 years. 7,500 Baht house & 2,500 Baht pool per year, approx. 350m2 two-storey house. Which works out about 50% of the figures & calculations that Norseman saw, think JimmyG said his worked out about 50% of those calcs too. Missus has rung someone she's knows who works in Tessabahn, and they're gonna call back.

Norseman, do you know if the figures you saw were for the past years, incl. Jan 2010-Jan 2011, or are they the new assessed values for the coming years, ie: February 2011 onwards? New valuations are due to come in this month, February 2011, for the next four years apparently.

SJ
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

hhfarang wrote:
I take it that list is in the order of highest to lowest of the new rates. Which "zone" was the property in that drew the 9000 baht tax.
Yep highest to lowest, I'm in zone 2.

From SJ last post our house is 250Sqm 2 storey no pool. So go figure that out. Crazy!

Paid 5220 last year and they want exactly 9000 baht this year!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Paid 5220 last year and they want exactly 9000 baht this year!
I really am at a loss to understand this. [Edited at the request of the poster]

We're in the third zone. Could it be that much lower? :|