Tessaban property tax

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Tesaban Tax

Post by crazy88 »

Anyone received a signed receipt detailing this swimming pool tax or have a copy or reference to relevant legislation?

If this tax exists then surely it must be based on a set of parameters. I have 2 underground water tanks with removable covers that a person can easily get into and have a splash about, not to mention all the water features, any of which could accommodate a small child. How much is that little lot going to cost me? Also if the other taxes mentioned are based on a dwelling how do they calculate area? To the centre of columns? Pure internal? Total covered area to roofline?

Regarding ridiculous taxes Thailand did not invent them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tax

Just one example

Crazy 88
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:
Nereus wrote:Anymore about the charge for a swimming pool? I just told them I can`t swim, so do not have a pool. :neener:
If you branched off your discharge pipe into your household water tank and then designated your pool as backup water storage, it may take them a decade worth of meetings to rule on it. :idea: :thumb: Pete :cheers:
I know exactly which pipe I would like to branch off, and EXACTLY where to run it! :twisted:

I mentioned before that I would bet that there is a "new boss", and now Norseman writes that there is. I did not pursue the swimming pool "tax", but again from what Norseman has written, I think that you can be sure that it is connected. :banghead:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

The swimming pool tax was there a year ago (last Februray) so it's not new.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Can confirm what JG says after calling a few people. There was a 3k pool tax being implemented. I have been told, by those who deal with such things for a living, that this has stopped and the tax is now applied per sqm including the pool. Clear as mud as usual as someone put it earlier. I have never been asked for anything apart from land tax which is pocket change per annum. As the legal people I spoke to put it.

"If the buffalo does not call you then why go to the buffalo?

Never heard that one before but it makes sense.

Crazy 88
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

crazy88 wrote: "If the buffalo does not call you then why go to the buffalo?

Never heard that one before but it makes sense.

Crazy 88
Problem is when the buffalo catches up with you they want everything you owe them in one go and if your names down in dem books they sure as hell will be sending that letter one day :duck:
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

To whom JG would they send that letter? I cannot own land being a farang and Thais are exempt from tax on a single property I have been told today.

Crazy 88
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

crazy88 wrote:To whom JG would they send that letter? I cannot own land being a farang and Thais are exempt from tax on a single property I have been told today.

Crazy 88
In general crazy. There are lots of farangs/thais who use property/land under different circumstances in the tessabahn area. You can read from previous posts ignoring the fact that taxes are due can come back to bite you and you end up paying years of back tax. So burying your head in the sand may not be a good idea!
MXcross
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MXcross »

Just been down to pay ours and this year it's gone up by 3000baht to 18,000 and the swimming pool tax has been there for 2 years now and is apparently calculated by the size of the pool.
We are the only ones on our project that have been paying this since we moved here because thier accountants have been informing them they do not have to pay!!
(Some even denying the exhistance of the tax, because they would look foolish for not mentioning it before)
The accountants are right in what they have been telling people (if you want to believe them),,,,,,,but if and when you decide to sell up the back tax will be calculated and interest added and will be cut from your profits.
Whilst in the office paying (Hua Hin) a couple were in there gettin a little miffed as the sale of thier house had just fallen through due to the rather large unpaid tax bill, which the buyer wanted settled before the sale went through.
As Mr Greaves said "stickin yer head in the sand could prove costly in the long run".
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

MXcross wrote:Just been down to pay ours and this year it's gone up by 3000baht to 18,000 and the swimming pool tax has been there for 2 years now and is apparently calculated by the size of the pool.
We are the only ones on our project that have been paying this since we moved here because thier accountants have been informing them they do not have to pay!!
(Some even denying the exhistance of the tax, because they would look foolish for not mentioning it before)
The accountants are right in what they have been telling people (if you want to believe them),,,,,,,but if and when you decide to sell up the back tax will be calculated and interest added and will be cut from your profits.
Whilst in the office paying (Hua Hin) a couple were in there gettin a little miffed as the sale of thier house had just fallen through due to the rather large unpaid tax bill, which the buyer wanted settled before the sale went through.
As Mr Greaves said "stickin yer head in the sand could prove costly in the long run".
Can you tell us on what basis you hold the house and land, MXcross? (lease, Thai wife etc). :cheers:
MXcross
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MXcross »

It's the usual company name malarcky, hence the higher tax because "They" class it as a business.
Sorry for not stating previously.
If it's in a Thai's name ie your wife we were told at the payment counter that it would be a fraction of the price.
The explanation from them was, pretty straight forward that it was worked out on the size of the land, how many levels and wether or not it was registered in a company name or sole ownership or not.
As for the pool tax they say it goes on the size ie, mine is 6m x 12m and was 3,000baht so bigger or smaller will determine the price.
Hope this helps.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

MXcross wrote:It's the usual company name malarcky, hence the higher tax because "They" class it as a business.
Sorry for not stating previously.
If it's in a Thai's name ie your wife we were told at the payment counter that it would be a fraction of the price.
The explanation from them was, pretty straight forward that it was worked out on the size of the land, how many levels and wether or not it was registered in a company name or sole ownership or not.
As for the pool tax they say it goes on the size ie, mine is 6m x 12m and was 3,000baht so bigger or smaller will determine the price.
Hope this helps.
Thanks very much, MXcross. :cheers:
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

MXcross wrote:Just been down to pay ours and this year it's gone up by 3000baht to 18,000 and the swimming pool tax has been there for 2 years now and is apparently calculated by the size of the pool.
What size house was the tax calculated on and what zone do you happen to be in?
MXcross
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MXcross »

We're out in Koa tao and the house is a 2 floor,5 bedroom.
They work it all out on the size of the land,(rai,talang wah or what-have you) and how many floors, basically they go on the plans that were submitted to them by your builder.
Even if you buy ready built the plans have been in the Tesaban since day one.
I was informed in the office that they will be sending out letters to every household in the very near future and as they put it, "It was up to you if you wanted to pay or not, but you WILL have aproblem later on down the line".
I would rather pay now,(without there calculated interest) as we are doing than get hit with (or my Daughter get hit with) a massive bill making the house worth bugger all in the future.
How soon and how the letters will be worded is a matter for conjecture at the moment, but you can bet your bottom dollar if there's money to be had, they will have it.
As stated before it is up to the house owner wether they pay it or not, but you know as well as I do when things get hard in the tesaban they may well just enforce payment and it will always be at an inconvenient time.
Not all of us living here are minted!! hahahah.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

[Edited at the request of the poster]
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Pay it is my advice. I wouldn't want the sale of my house to go sideways because I decided not to pay a few baht each year.
Happiness can't buy money