Million dollar Pace MahaSamutr lagoon development coming to Hua Hin

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Million dollar Pace property development targets Bangkok

Post by Takiap »

PET wrote:
hhfarang wrote:
I've got to agree Takiap. I can buy a mansion for $1,000,000 in HH that would cost $5 mill anywhere else.
Not true, I've been doing a lot of research on that very topic for the last several months and the same square meter home in a nice neighborhood in most cities in the U.S. costs less than in Hua Hin, plus it is better build quality from my experience than with the builders/craftsmen here. Of course that's not in California or New York but in most cities and towns in most states you can get a very nice 250 sq mt 4 bedroom home for $150 to $200k or about 5 to 6m baht... way better than Hua Hin for the same price, unless you want to live way out in the pineapple fields. :|

Yes, but are not those in USA timber framed ?

In all fairness PET, timber frame or not, the house you buy is yours. I would rather have a timber frame house which I know is mine, without regulations in place that essentially allow your home to be taken away from you at any time.

I'm fortunately not in a position where I have anything to lose, but there are many expats here who are. My wife and I earned the money for our home together, and since we have three kids, I would quite happily give up my share if it came to it. However, if I spent a million dollars of my own money, then I would want some sort of guarantee, and in 90% of cases in Thailand, there are no guarantees.

If the government decided they wanted to, I would hate to think how many expats would end up losing their homes. I'm not saying Thailand should change their laws (that's a debate for another time), but until they do, there will be countless people not willing to invest here. Added to that is the fact that, while Thailand is a great place to live, it's far from being the sort of place that's going to attract the very wealthy.

Just my opinion, and as I've stated before, I'm more than happy with it just the way it is.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Yes, but are not those in USA timber framed ?
Yes, or (hollow wall) steel framed, depending on where it is located. What's wrong with that? It is better insulated, easier to maintain plumbing and electricity, and will last just as long as the cement World War III bunkers they build here... no wires or pipes imbedded in concrete blocks, no plaster to crack, house has give should the ground tremor or in high winds (they can actually be picked up and moved on a truck and relocated). I know of wood framed homes in the U.S. that are well over 100 years old and still it top notch condition. Are not the ancient Thai style homes wood frame? I think these cement block monstrosities were a European imported building style.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

My own experience of living in Florida for a number of years in two different club locations, was that maintenance was quite high and there was always a termite problem, requiring new struts and beams.

I would have thought the block/brick construction was much superior but I am certainly no expert on this subject.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Are not the ancient Thai style homes wood frame?
We built a teak framed house up in Issan about 8 years ago but the practice has just about ended now as it's cheaper in Thailand now to build concrete framed houses. Basically, when they got serious about illegal logging of hardwood, the price went through the roof. You do still get some being built but they reuse a lot of teak from old houses as we did for the main beams.
Personally I wouldn't spend a million dollars on a property in Thailand, you don't need to, our house in Hin Lek Fai has cost about 3 million baht and it's perfectly adequate. Where I work here in Luxembourg, you can buy a parking space in a garage for that sort of money:
http://www.immotop.lu/en/properties/used/garage/276610
buksida

Post by buksida »

:offtopic:
1-MahaSamutr-Masterplan-1.jpg
Pace Development Corporation recently held a star-studded reception at Bangkok’s Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel to unveil “MahaSamutr”, a high-end villa and Country Club development set around what will be Asia’s first man-made clearwater lagoon on Thailand’s increasingly popular Eastern Gulf coast.

“Our commitment is to develop projects that are unique and original,” said Sorapol Techakraisri, CEO of Pace Development Corporation. “In Bangkok we are building MahaNakhon to be the tallest building in Thailand, and in Hua Hin we are working with a team of world class professionals using cutting-edge technology from design through to construction and interior decoration. We studied many projects around the world and decided to put the best components of them into MahaSamutr.”

Some of Thailand’s A-list superstars have also been recruited as spokespeople for the Hua Hin resort project, underlining its expected popularity among local investors, as well as Hua Hin’s appeal as a second home destination.

Big name endorsements include four of the kingdom’s best loved actors and actresses: ”Aum” Patcharapa Chaichue, Ananda Everingham, “Chompoo” Araya and Mario Maurier.

“MahaSamutr is beyond the wildest imagination.” said Everingham, who is known internationally for his lead role in the 2004 horror film, Shutter. “I personally love resort villas close to nature and this one gives panoramic views of the lagoon. What a relaxing atmosphere.”

In addition to 90 villas, each covering 550-600 sqm, the MahaSamutr Country Club will offer in- and outdoor leisure and sports facilities designed and installed under the supervision of International Leisure Consultants (ILC), and also including amenities for children. To ensure op quality cuisine, the Club will feature a premium restaurant, to be overseen by 3-star Michelin Chef Vincent Thierry.

Prices for the villas start at THB35 million (US$1.1 million), and owners will be entitled to life membership of the Country Club.

Property Report
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

buksida wrote::
Pace Development Corporation recently held a star-studded reception at Bangkok’s Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel to unveil “MahaSamutr”, a high-end villa and Country Club development set around what will be Asia’s first man-made clear water lagoon on Thailand’s increasingly popular Eastern Gulf coast.
So Hua Hin is going to me moved across to just beside Pattaya or what? :?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

On that Artists impression above they seem to have replaced about half of Hua Hin with a rain forest!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Many Thais (and some of us lower end Farang) think Hua-Hin is, or has become, very expensive. This sort of image will then automatically attract those Thais (and expats) who want to display their wealth, so I don't for a minute doubt that Pace will sell out. Oh well, maybe I'll be able to sell up and move out into the sticks :laugh:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

There are many communities that were built like that here in Southern California. The houses obviously carry a premium, but not a terrible one since most these man made lakes look good, but get crowded quick.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

hhfarang wrote:
I've got to agree Takiap. I can buy a mansion for $1,000,000 in HH that would cost $5 mill anywhere else.
Not true, I've been doing a lot of research on that very topic for the last several months and the same square meter home in a nice neighborhood in most cities in the U.S. costs less than in Hua Hin, plus it is better build quality from my experience than with the builders/craftsmen here. Of course that's not in California or New York but in most cities and towns in most states you can get a very nice 250 sq mt 4 bedroom home for $150 to $200k or about 5 to 6m baht... way better than Hua Hin for the same price, unless you want to live way out in the pineapple fields. :|
Your comparisons are never 'like-for-like' HHF, in respect to locations within 5kms of the beach/mall/town centre etc. Last time you made this claim I posted about one of the examples in Nashville that was price-comparable with Hua Hin, it was in a town that had literally been overrun with latino (I think) gang crime. So much so it's one and only mall had closed down as retail tenants had deserted the town. Think the school had police patrolling the corridors or something and it was over 300kms to the nearest beach... wtf kind of relevance is that!? :?

Whenever I looked up 4 bed, pool-villas within 5kms of a beach, they were asking $450-850k. I've no doubt you can find properties for $150k (5m Baht) in the middle of a recession in the U.S., just as you can go on any/most of the Hua Hin agents websites now and find newly-built detatched houses for between 1.7-2.5m on some of the larger-type, moo baans. Many even with communal pool unlike their U.S. counterparts.

Here's a list of the top 15 U.S. states and their average property prices. As these are average prices they would not exclusively be pool properties like your 5-6m baht examples would. This list of the top 15 states for property values has an minimum average price of 13m Baht... more than double that of a detatched pool-villa 5kms from Hua Hin beach/town centre. And forget about property taxes, insurances etc...

http://www.trulia.com/home_prices/
Capture-1.jpg
Capture-1.jpg (89.3 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
SJ
agfa
Novice
Novice

Post by agfa »

Just only wanna share an opinion, since their marketing hiring a top Thai superstars, their target customer seems to be a Thai millionaires who just wanna have a break in a unique and remarkable development.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Your comparisons are never 'like-for-like' HHF, in respect to locations within 5kms of the beach/mall/town centre etc.
In the first place, I don't care about a beach being nearby, (I've lived here nearly 10 years and been to the beach 5 or 6 times, after all it's only a bit of sand loaded with horse shit and fat Europeans in speedos :shock: and even the water is not clean enough to swim in) and I could buy my old home back in Boca Raton, Florida in a gated community about 8 miles from the beach and walking distance to a major intersection with every kind of shopping you ever need in your lifetime including around 10 multi-national (including Thai) restaurants for about 300k USD. It was a 250 sq. mt. home and Boca is only eclipsed by a couple of other cities (Naples and West Palm Beach) in that state as a safe and very desirable place to live.

If you want to go like for like I can list 100 advantages as far as convenience in living in nearly any American city with the population of Hua Hin or more. What cultural events do you have here... any theater, ballet, symphony, concerts other than drunken beach parties with Thai musicians? All this place has is warm weather and (extremely expensive) golf which is why it is infested with Britons and Scandinavians who come here to escape the terrible weather in their home countries.

I've been searching Charlotte, N.C. lately and a home better than one that would cost $500+ here can be had there in a very nice community for $150 to $170k and that area actually has 4 distinct seasons instead of one (or two if you count wet and dry :D ). The only problem is health care costs and taxes or I'd be there now. Nearly everything else is as cheap or cheaper there than in Hua Hin and construction is better and home maintenance is cheaper, not per repair, but because it is not a weekly expenditure like it is in this severe climate with the poor cowboy building quality you find here where repairs have to be done over and over again a few times to get them done right.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Crystal Lagoons launches 7ha project in Thailand
Crystal Lagoons Corp., the patented technology developer of giant crystalline lagoons, has launched a 7ha project in Hua Hin, Thailand.

MahaSamutr, a $450mn luxury real estate project, will have the crystal turquoise waters of the lagoon as its centerpiece, and is part of Thailand's leading real estate company PACE Development's flagship community.

“Thailand gives us an outstanding strategic position in South-East Asia, and the opportunity to participate in a world-class development that adds prestige to our current project portfolio,” said Kevin P. Morgan, CEO of Crystal Lagoons.

"Our partnership with PACE on MahaSamutr Hua-Hin gives us the opportunity to deliver an amenity like no other. Initially we chose to work with PACE because of their strong reputation which was reinforced by the success so far on the development we are working. Together we are collaborating to produce a lagoon using technology introduced for the first time in the South East Asian region."

The lagoon is expected to be completed in early 2015.

Renowned Japanese architect, Kengo Kuma will design the development which will include 90 luxury bespoke villas that will retain traditional Thai features. Ranging in price from $1.2mn up to $2.5mn, each four bedroom home will have direct access to the lagoon, a world first for any real estate project of this type.

MahaSamutr, will be located in Hua Hin, 200kmsouth of Thailand's capital, Bangkok, and will be developed over a total area of 19.5ha, with the 7ha navigable crystalline lagoon at the heart of the project.

Crystal Lagoons is currently working to develop what will be the world's largest manmade lagoon (40ha) in Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum City, Dubai.

http://www.constructionweekonline.com/a ... -thailand/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Filling a lake that big does need a lot of water but none of you have mentioned evaporation. Large shallow lakes lose lots of water to evaporation! Not really sure how they could fill it and keep it filled.
Hhfarang - you make a great case for not living here. I am one of the British infestation that you mention and really like it here and this forum seems to be full of people complaining about living here. No wonder the Thais get bored of farangs who come here to live and then complain about everything.
t1ggyw1ggy10

Post by t1ggyw1ggy10 »

Well said Heartofmidlothian . I'm assuming hhfarang is American .maybe he should take a look at the statistics for the fattest countries !!