Greek style house, good or bad idea?

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Greek style house, good or bad idea?

Post by HHCanuck »

I have always loved the style of houses on the Greek islands, I have a large plot of land I want to build on and have been debating house styles. How difficult would it be to find a builder that could construct a Greek style house? What would be the pros and cons to making such a house?
PeteC

Re: Greek style house, good or bad idea?

Post by PeteC »

If it's concrete floors and walls, no problem as that's the basic modern construction method here anyway. Regarding shape and any other things not usually found in a house here, just arrive with drawn out plans and dimensions and I'm confident you'll find someone who can do a decent job.

A problem may be with resale if that day should ever come. Perhaps not a good market for Greek style houses here, but you never know. Hua Hin and vicinity is a seaside resort area and that Med type of style would probably be attractive to quite a few, if it's a class place and well constructed. Pete :cheers:

PS: Plant olive trees and grape vines as well. :thumb:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

If you want retro-Greek take your builder and show him Santorini Park
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Not sure what a Greek style house looks like. During my visit a few years ago I took pics of these 2 houses, or mansions, or whatever they can be called. They are located somewhere at the south end of Hua Hin City up the hill near a wat. Maybe back of soi 102 or so, does anybody know the address for these places?
Stargeezer
Attachments
Mansion 2
Mansion 2
phpLbtf6ePM.jpg (76.07 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Mansion 1
Mansion 1
phpNCz6XnPM.jpg (77.91 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
House 1
House 1
phpbO0FRtPM.jpg (65.92 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

A few words of advice:
Beware of Greeks bearing houses, and never look a Greek house in the mouth...

Keep that in mind and you should be fine.
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I don't know the addresses, but the first one is up soi 114 and I think the other is in Kao Takiab... both owned by the same Italian builder if the second one is the one I'm thinking about. The designer/owner of the first one is named Mario, hence the name of the mansion.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

Both houses are as HHF says, in soi 114. The project name is 'Street of Dreams' if I remember correctly. They are neighbouring houses.
Go up 114, when you come to the end junction (outside The Vineyard) turn left. The road then forks, bear right and about 200 metres on the right is a small road, just up this road on the left is the entrance.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhfarang wrote:I don't know the addresses, but the first one is up soi 114 and I think the other is in Kao Takiab... both owned by the same Italian builder if the second one is the one I'm thinking about. The designer/owner of the first one is named Mario, hence the name of the mansion.
I actually went inside the first house about 4 years ago. We were riding in the area and stumbled upon this grand looking house and there was a security type guard who my wife spoke to and he let us go inside. IMO it was not as fantastic inside as it looks from the outside, however I recollect that the owner had an incredible stock of fine cognacs and wines so obviously enjoys the finer things in life. There is a very ornate swimming pool at the back of the house with a cascading waterfall and decorated with statues etc. At the time, the guard suggested it was worth (or had cost) 50 million baht!!
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

I expect to see the Adams family at any moment.....................
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

Houses like these simple white washed houses are what I think about when hearing Greek houses
white-washed-houses-and-blue-domes-on-cliff-top-are-just-so-typically-greek.jpg
white-washed-houses-and-blue-domes-on-cliff-top-are-just-so-typically-greek.jpg (147.19 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

dtaai-maai wrote:A few words of advice:
Beware of Greeks bearing houses
If I meet a Greek that can bear a house, I am not messing with them!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

HH Farang and Zeitgeist, Thanks for the address. I went up there with a friend who knows
his way around, and of course I forgot to jot down the address when I was visiting.
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.