Flooring help needed

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Zero
Banned
Banned

Flooring help needed

Post by Zero »

Hi,

The wife and me have recently taken a 3 year rental on a nice little shop in Hua Hin, just off Soi 55. We are planning to open a massage shop. Unfortunately, after we signed we found out that the existing floor (which runs inside and outside) was laid using con-wood (a cement based material, not a wood product). And before I (dumbass) realised this, we spent **loadsamoney** on a new glass front for the shop.

The problem is we can't seem to get a varnish or sealer to "key" into the floor. We've worked incredibly hard to strip it back, 3 times, yet so far nothing seems to be able to key in. It just peels like sunburnt skin. We've tried conventional floor varnishes, shellac and a proper expensive tin of yacht varnish too. No joy. Aaaaargh!

So, I think we have three options.

1. find a working solution to seal the con wood - put an epoxy-resin down?
2. replace the con wood with hardwood
3. overlay a quality laminate on top of the con wood

Matters are made more complicated because, as I mentioned, we have just installed a full height glass front to the shop and we are also at the edge of adjustment on the doors due to an uneven floor. Essentially anything we do that changes the overall height of the floor will probably mean that the fitted glass will need :banghead: to be re-profiled on the job.

I'd really, really appreciate it if anybody has any ideas or suggestions on what the best course of action is here, or where we can go for a solution here in beautiful Hua Hin, because it's really doing my swede in.

I have drawings that show the exact sizes and we are talking about 45 square metres.

Thanks people,

Z
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Flooring help needed

Post by Bristolian »

I agree, Confloor is a nightmare to paint, varnish, colour or treat with anything that will adhere. My BOL has it around his pool and we have tried just about every product that we can find but alas given just a few weeks it peels.

My BIL is Australian and not above questioning the quality of Thai Paints and varnishes. On his last visit home he returned with a special decking paint for Confloor which was also non slip. It was epoxy resin based and the tin claimed that it only needed a clean surface, free of old loose paint or varnish to adhere. It did not do what it said on the can. Very expensive but started to peel away about 4 weeks after immaculate preperation and ideal coverage. He has now given up and will replace the Con-wood with conventional wood decking. Good luck with your search for a suitable paint/varnish. I will be interested to hear what success other posters have had and with which products.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Zero
Banned
Banned

Post by Zero »

Bristolian wrote:I agree, Confloor is a nightmare to paint, varnish, colour or treat with anything that will adhere. My BOL has it around his pool and we have tried just about every product that we can find but alas given just a few weeks it peels.

My BIL is Australian and not above questioning the quality of Thai Paints and varnishes. On his last visit home he returned with a special decking paint for Confloor which was also non slip. It was epoxy resin based and the tin claimed that it only needed a clean surface, free of old loose paint or varnish to adhere. It did not do what it said on the can. Very expensive but started to peel away about 4 weeks after immaculate preperation and ideal coverage. He has now given up and will replace the Con-wood with conventional wood decking. Good luck with your search for a suitable paint/varnish. I will be interested to hear what success other posters have had and with which products.
Cheers mate, I really understand you when you say "immaculate preparation". We have been trying to coax something out of this bloody con wood for weeks. From what I have seen, it's totally unsuitable as flooring, however on walls it is probably OK.

Thanks for the response, really appreciate it.

Z
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Ceramic tiles?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

The manufacturers recommended paint for Conwood is a product call Austek.
Paint Colours (Austek).jpg
Paint Colours (Austek).jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
Zero
Banned
Banned

Post by Zero »

Thanks for the responses. Ceramic tiles are probably the best option to be honest, this is what Old Siam Teak recommended to me in preference to a laminate.

And i'll take a look at the Austek paints. Do you know if that product is available anywhere in Hua Hin? Thanks chaps.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

For Austek (water based) paint you can contact K Poppy [maxhomethai@gmail.com]

For ceramic tile overlay, if there is the slightest movement in the conwood floor the tile or joint will crack.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

You have probably seen the following, but look at this.

http://www.conwood.co.th/upload/color_1343214306.pdf

One problem with Conwood is that you do not know exactly what its composition is. Although it is probably basically portland cement, there is no way of knowing what additives there is in it that may be reacting with your paint. If you just regard it as a cement floor, you may find a solution. It may be necessary to etch it with acid, although the above link does not mention it. It also needs to be well "cured" and moisture free. Depending on the manufacturing date it may still have moisture rising out of it.

As posted, do not attempt to lay ceramic tiles directly over it, they will break.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Zero
Banned
Banned

Post by Zero »

I think after my own research and the help from everyone on here, I have pretty much decided to replace the conwood with a new hardwood floor. The thing is, quality teak products are so expensive, but they are simply superb materials. And I must say that Mark from Siam Old Teak has been incredibly honest and helpful in this matter. If you want the best in Thai Teak, these guys really do seem to know the score.

So, i've had to get out on the moped and today and have a real good poke around in some of Hua Hin's more "out of town" timber merchants. As usual in Thailand, if you want anything done thats a bit different, you pretty much have to do it yourself.

After 4 or 5 sweaty hours in a helmet I found this dusty old Thai timber yard (the one where the sleeping guard dog opens one eye, looks you up and down, figures out that you come in peace and then goes back to sleep) which had good stocks of coconut palm planks (at two sizes, but not tongued or grooved) at a price that was half of the laminate floor we were looking at in the local Thai B&Q equivalent.

In fact, to cover the entire floor area (45m2) I need, the material cost worked out at just over 25,000ThB, which really got my attention. The final floor will also need a good sanding with a commercial upright because the planks are well, a bit rough arse.

Thing is I know zip about coconut wood (however, for all you Darwinists I do know this; apparently it's not actually a wood species, it's from the palm genus), but it does have a really beautiful speckled grain and I don't mind the fact that it will probably end up looking a bit more "rustic" than a high quality teak or engineered hardwood product.

So, first up - does this sound like a solution, given the low budget i'm working with (ThB50k) and does anybody have any tips for laying coconut planks, the sub-floor prep, and how I should stain, treat or varnish them? Anything unusual about this material? There's nothing in English on YouTube or Google that I can find even though it maybe Thailand's most ubiquitous, if not its most celebrated (teak) natural building material.

Thanks again.

Z
Last edited by Zero on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Zero
Banned
Banned

Post by Zero »

Nereus wrote:You have probably seen the following, but look at this.

One problem with Conwood is that you do not know exactly what its composition is. Although it is probably basically portland cement, there is no way of knowing what additives there is in it that may be reacting with your paint. If you just regard it as a cement floor, you may find a solution. It may be necessary to etch it with acid, although the above link does not mention it. It also needs to be well "cured" and moisture free. Depending on the manufacturing date it may still have moisture rising out of it.

As posted, do not attempt to lay ceramic tiles directly over it, they will break.
I hadn't seen it, so thanks for this, much appreciated.

Z
Last edited by Zero on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zero
Banned
Banned

Post by Zero »

malcolminthemiddle wrote:For Austek (water based) paint you can contact K Poppy

For ceramic tile overlay, if there is the slightest movement in the conwood floor the tile or joint will crack.

Appreciate this Malc.

Z
Zero
Banned
Banned

Post by Zero »

OK, I have bought the new hardwood (it's Teng - tongued and grooved) , and also have the ribs. Now I need someone to lay it.

Can anyone recommend a fella to do the work?

Z
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ A Thai guy named Liam did ours (about nine years ago) and did a perfect job laying and finishing. It was the narrow, short, parkay boards but I guess he can do any kind. It was still perfect the last time I saw it about a year ago so I think he knows/knew what he was doing.

If he's still around and hasn't changed it, his number is 0866532506. He mostly only speaks Thai.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Zero
Banned
Banned

Post by Zero »

Thats cool, i'll give him a call. V. much appreciated. Thanks.

Incidentally, after having a good look around (my idea for coconut wood was laughed off - no use for floors apparently - termites love it. It's primary application is for walls and roof joists) we eventually found a really good quality hardwood in Phetchaburi. This yard has some lovely hardwood and our timber had been in there for 2 years, nicely maturing.

The name of the wood is Teng or Mae Teng (not the more prized Daeng or Mae Daeng - although there is lots of conflicting info online regarding South East Asian hardwood), from Malaysia. From what I read Teng is usually light blonde in colour, although this particular lumber does have a reddish colour, which made me think it was Mae Daeng. It has a lovely grain and is terribly strong. It was nicely finished, really heavy, arrow straight and even tongued & grooved.

The cost to cover the 50m sq. in 3m x .13m planks was 45,000ThB including the hardwood ribs. So i'm really thrilled with the price, although bringing it back to Hua Hin ourselves did save 12,000ThB off their merchant delivery, even if we have to do 2 trips in the pickup.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ I believe ours was Daeng wood and I also believe he got it at that same lumber yard in Petchaburi. I know that's where he go our stairway treads because I went there on his advice to see them before purchase. I wanted one piece solid treads which required very wide (and thick) boards and that's the only place we could find them.