Dampproof paint for concrete walls

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Dampproof paint for concrete walls

Post by dtaai-maai »

I want to paint some concrete garden walls, and I want to avoid the ubiquitous black water stains.
Some of the walls are new, bare concrete. I assume a weatherproof undercoat and a couple of coats of weatherproof paint (white or cream) should do the trick? (Rather than a thin coat of whatever's left over, which seems to be the usual practice here!).
Any advice on brands of undercoat/paint? (I live near Thai Watsadu).

For older, painted walls (with stains thrown in for free...), the same process after a blast with a pressure spray?
This is the way
PeteC

Re: Dampproof paint for concrete walls

Post by PeteC »

I really like the TOA 7 in 1. Used it many times now and never disappointed, and never a sign of failure later on. Sealer and primer type for unpainted and painted surfaces listed on the sheet. Pete :cheers:

http://www.toagroup.com.vn/img/product/ ... uct_en.pdf

http://www.toahomeguide.com/productsolu ... ution_id=4
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

You may have chosen the wrong time of year.... After blasting away the dreaded black stains, with a power washer, you really need the sun and with no rain to kill the fungi (if that is the right definition) and to allow the walls to fully dry. Now we have the highest humidity which of course all of the fungi love and flourish in.

Better to wait until the end of the rainy season.

As to the choice of paints I agree with prsscct
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Thank you, but Mrs D-M has already made that point! :laugh:

Me: But in 2 months I'll be back at the university.
Her: You'll still have the weekends... :roll:

Anyway, if I buy the materials now, I'll feel obliged to get the job done at some point...
This is the way
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

dtaai-maai wrote:Thank you, but Mrs D-M has already made that point! :laugh:

Me: But in 2 months I'll be back at the university.
Her: You'll still have the weekends... :roll:

Anyway, if I buy the materials now, I'll feel obliged to get the job done at some point...
Believe me...I know the power of " 'Er indoors'" currently "we" decided to have broken tiles in the pool replaced and whilst we are about it have it re-grouted. My guy is excellent but fighting against the elements to complete the job and not allow the dreaded pool green mould to re-appear before we refill and the chlorine can overcome an overwhelming issue.

Probably for you it's better to wait and then get someone to do the painting for you. " oh darling I'm so busy at Uni" ........you can supervise at a distance

Me... I retreat to my airconed workshop with something far more important to do than paint walls or grout swimming pools....(I have a fridge of beer in my workshop for such emergencies! :cheers:
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain