Good Thai Builder For A Mud Brick Home ???.....

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Aussie_Allan
Novice
Novice

Good Thai Builder For A Mud Brick Home ???.....

Post by Aussie_Allan »

Hi All, I have not been in Hua Hin for over 3 years now, but in Kanchanaburi.

In any event, I recently purchased a bit over 3 Rai of river Kwaii water front property.
So I need a good builder to build to my own plans.

Hence does anyone have some suggestions please ???.....

This is a genuine request, and I have the cash in a Thai bank to pay as required.
But i will be on site much of the time, to ensure my specs are met.

My having a brick layer/builder as a father does have it''s benefits at times.

Cheers Allan Leigh
MissPink35
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Good Thai Builder For A Mud Brick Home ???.....

Post by MissPink35 »

I will send this link to someone who want to work for you and let them contact you and you can choose the best one who can work for you.

in my facebook fanpage have alot builder n company builder

Hope it help

Mod Edit: Link removed, please contact Admin if you wish to advertise your business.
Aussie_Allan
Novice
Novice

Post by Aussie_Allan »

Thank you sir, the last one I contacted replied what i had in mind was to small, ah ha.

Since then I have come into a rather large sum; hence thing will be considerably larger, and much better appointed inside.

Hence so sad. too bad, to the previous one.

I do hope your suggestions can really be of help...
Cheers Aussie Allan
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Aussie_Allan

Hi Allan, I don't know much about "mud brick construction" better known as Adobe, but we have several Cobb cottages here in the UK, one which was built in 1730 and is where we live at the moment. The walls are over 500mm thick, faced with a breathable lime render and the house is very cool in summer and warm in winter. :D

Although not mud brick, Cobb and mud bricks are basically the same, local soil/clay/sand mixed with a binding agent, such as straw. Rice straw may suitable in Thailand but not sure.

Cobb is laid in layers of around 150mm at a time and compacted, whilst adobe bricks are made in a wooden form and dried in the sun, then laid as normal bricks, using mortar.
We have Norfolk reed on our roofs, good for 50+ years, if well maintained but I'm not sure what would be the equivalent in Thailand, some sort of water reed may be available, or you could use tiles.

I wanted to build another, larger, Cobb cottage in Dorset on a plot we have, unfortunately, I could not find a builder skilled in Cobb construction in my area, so had to give up on the idea and extended our house with a modern construction of Purbeck stone walls and Norfolk reed roof.

I was told by a chap who builds Cobb houses in Devon, that there are 2 simple rules when using
Cobb /Adobe in house construction, "keep their feet dry and their head warm". Proper stone or concrete footings, that are well drained and a thick reed roof that overhangs the walls by 500mm.

One thing is for sure, having had prices for what I wanted built in UK, the cost for you to build anything made of Cobb/Adobe in Thailand, will be about 1/10th of what it costs in UK. :cry:

I wish you luck in your search and look forward to any pics you may post. :cheers:

http://www.thiscobhouse.com/cob-buildin ... and-walls/
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.