Timeshare/fractional ownership?

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
magsandbilly

Timeshare/fractional ownership?

Post by magsandbilly »

Hiya
Last post for today( I am new on this and have a lot to ask).

What is the situation in Hua Hin with "Fractional Ownership"/"Lifestyle Management" aka "Timeshare"?

Have they infiltrated Hua Hin? If so, which estates have they got their claws into?

M
magsandbilly

Re: Timeshare/fractional ownership?

Post by magsandbilly »

magsandbilly wrote:Hiya
Last post for today( I am new on this and have a lot to ask).

What is the situation in Hua Hin with "Fractional Ownership"/"Lifestyle Management" aka "Timeshare"?

Have they infiltrated Hua Hin? If so, which estates have they got their claws into?

M
The silence is astounding on this one. So I take it it happens in Hua hin as well.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think you should take the opposite. On here if no one knows about a subject there is usually silence rather than a lot of "I don't know" posts.

You've bumped it now so visible again. Let's see if anything comes back. Give it a day or so. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

I found a link for you but will not post it for fear of being caught up in the advertising rules. If you Google your enquiry it will lead you to timeshare for sale in HH and other places.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've certainly never come across anyone going around touting timeshare scams like you used to get down the Med.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

We have a timeshare in Mexico and have exchanged it for time in Phuket and BKK. I don't remember seeing any in Hua Hin, I'm sure we would have investigated more
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

Black Lotus off soi 112 has fractional ownership (which I assume is just timeshare), they are the only place I know off and I don't have any details, sorry.
magsandbilly

Post by magsandbilly »

Thanks for this, I was worried that it was like it is in Phuket - people afraid to talk about it for fear of the companies chasing you down.

Fractional ownership is the new name in Phuket for it, along with Lifestyle Living. Not from the more established ones but from the smaller ones trying to stake a claim.

Thanks a lot it has made us feel more secure in buying in Hua Hin.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

It really hasnt taken off here, most people are looking for a home to retire too in the future.
Thailand-Expat
Novice
Novice

Post by Thailand-Expat »

2016: Also wondering about activity in Fractional Ownership in Hua Hin? Should be a huge market in Hua Hin, not only for expats, but also for Thais from Bangkok. I guess most Developers just don't know how to pull this off and don't want to be associated with the negativity surrounding Timeshare.

Timeshare differs from Fractional:
Timeshare is nearly impossible to resell, and if you do, it is with a loss. Lifestyle product. Hard sell.
Fractional can be sold fairly easily, and if you do, can even be with a profit. Real Estate product. Soft sell.

The key to a successful fractional product is the initial model & set-up with a clear exit programme.
I give free advice to any developer in total confidence that is interested in exploring this market (20+ years of experience).
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Post by splitlid »

I would be interested to hear more as to why fractional ownership differs from timeshare.
please could you elaborate?

I was always under the impression they was the same with just a different pitch.
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
Thailand-Expat
Novice
Novice

Post by Thailand-Expat »

splitlid wrote:I would be interested to hear more as to why fractional ownership differs from timeshare.
please could you elaborate?

I was always under the impression they was the same with just a different pitch.
Timeshare characteristics:
> Resale does not work well, normally with a hefty loss. Timeshare is a lifestyle product, no financial investment.
> Maintenance Fees are fairly high and is a major concern for most buyers. Rental difficult.
> Only the right to use, no real ownership. Average terms are 25-50 years. Lease.
> Apartments mostly sold 52 weeks which will give you x-number of points you can exchange within the vacation club internally or externally (RCI = biggest). Nowadays they all sell point systems.
> Oversupply on Timeshare.
> Huge marketing costs (up to 50%), therefore the product can become expansive.

Fractional characteristics:
> Resale does work, even with a profit. For example, it can be vested in the statutes the apartment will be sold after 10 years. It is real estate.
> Maintenance Fees are the same as a Condo owner but an additional Management Fee will apply for daily cleaning / end cleaning / check-in-check-out procedure and reserve/refurbishment fund. Rental program optional.
> Deeded Ownership, through shares in a company that holds the deed.
> Apartment mostly sold to 4 (quarter-share), 6 or 8 owners max. The less the better (recommendation 4 to 6). Fixed or Floating with a fair rotation calendar on peak weeks for example. Depending on the set-up, it can be exchanged with other internal or external affiliates (The Registry Collection).
> No oversupply, it is not a mass product. Not everybody's cup of tea but very popular in the USA.
> Marketing cost are higher than real estate but nowhere near timeshare models. Price comparison with real estate (+20% /+30%).

Example:
Condo 6.000.000 THB, sold in Fractionals (+30%)= 7.800.000 THB if 4 owners = 1.950.000 per fractional THB.
sheriffsam
Novice
Novice

Post by sheriffsam »

Hi,

Bazoo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Bazoo »

Somebodies first post and they are offering snake oil for sale?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Except they've figured how to sell it so you don't actually buy it but keep paying for it.