Property open for discussion

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Property open for discussion

Post by Lev »

We have opened this section for discussion on property, real estate, land and the ins and outs of buying or selling in Hua Hin.

Please don't use it to post ads for your own properties or promotional posts for real estate companies. Discussion only!

Thanks.
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

Location, Location, Location!!

What are people's preferences? Other than beach fronatage that I
cannot afford. We looked around a little when we were here in november, but nothing stood out!! :idea:
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

South of center, east of railway, walking distance from the center. Quiet soi near the beach.
Best soi in HH is 88/1, second best 88/2.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

What about a location where the hosue would be high enough to look out over the town to the east to the Gulf

Sunrise over the ocean vistas!!
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

May also pay to search previous postings that appeared during the pre xmas storms that listed the Soi's that got badly flooded.
:cheers: :cheers:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Farang is right about the location but it is becoming a bit pricey. Try south of Hua Hin and West of the railway about Soi 110. There is some high ground over there.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

How pricey is pricey?

When I was there in Novemebr after the heavy rains we looked at some properties with a local realator. Numerous roads were severely damaged by the rain. "Don't worry the town will fix it." Yeah, right. No drainage facilites were designed fort he road, so eveni f they were fixed they would just be damaged again in the next rain.

So my question is did the town fix the roads? is this a common occurence in the lower , flatter areas?
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

The worst road in Hua Hin must be Soi 102, and that road is barely passable in the dry season.
Some of lower parts in Hua Na area has been fitted with drain pipes, but the rest of it is not I think.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

HansMartin wrote:
So my question is did the town fix the roads?

In some areas the town seems to fix (make that 'patch up') the roads where the water has washed away part of it. But they do not seems to fix the underlying cause of the problem, insufficient storm drainage.
It just seems to be more of a re-surfacing exercise.

My advice would be to buy land or houses in a flood free area, even if you are paying more for the privelege.

Burger
machersjohn

Post by machersjohn »

Do not assume that if they put a drain in the road the storm water problem will be cured. In my soi they installed a drain in the middle of the road.In the wet season the water flows from the west to east across the road, the driest part of the road is the middle as the camber is at it's highest. The drainage inlets are higher than the road so little or no water gets caught by the drain.

It would be so much easier to build the roads properly with proper drainage and then place a weight limit on it to curtail the overloaded trucks which cause to much damage.

I am told that there are so many back handers going that the contractors can do more or less as they please. It is in their interest to carry out inferior work as they will be ask to fix the damage ,more profir more bungs.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

You're right John, I assume they put one drain in the middle of the road over here to save money ?
You should have a drain either side of the road with a camber in the middle. But that's just hoping for too much hey!!

Burger
HansMartin
Professional
Professional

Post by HansMartin »

By profession I am a civil engineer in the US with a appreciation for basic infrastructure issues--water, sewer, drainage, roads, proper structure design, etc. What I saw in Nov. was prettty pathetic. So much of what I saw wouldn't be worth a second glance. I'm not looking to meet US or European standards; but I am looking for something that at least passes the basic sanity test.

Reasonable quality at a reasonable price, and the amenities that we all are looking for. Is that so hard to find? I really like HH, but so much of the new development is so marginal !!!

It reminds me of the crappy California developments of the 60s that I am currently rehabilitating.

Oh well enough ranting--time to watch the opening ceremonies of the winter Olympics, and drink some more wine.

:guns:
machersjohn

Post by machersjohn »

Hans you are right they are building tomorrows slums. The pity of it all is that it could be so much better ,with little cost.

Hua Hin has expanded ten fold in the last 3 years with no thought to infrastructure. I have said elsewhere it is down to vested interests. If you have the connections you can get roads and lighting . Drainage is probablygoing to be to the sea untreated, mai pen ai.

There is no planned expasion of water holding but think of all the housing not to mention the the swiming pools but as the thais say mai pen rai..

Why should i worry i only livehere by tolerance,of the thai people / government.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

HansMartin Wrote:
Reasonable quality at a reasonable price, and the amenities that we all are looking for. Is that so hard to find? I really like HH, but so much of the new development is so marginal
There are many good quality developments in Hua Hin that meet those requirements. There are also many that do not.
But if you look around the various developments, you can find proper drainage connected to the local 'klong', you can find reliable 3-phase electric supply, clean water supply from the developments own well/bore, houses that have architectural and structural drawings where the steel re-inforcing and concrete thicknesses are detailed on those drawings etc.

But obviously if you do not have the construction background/knowledge that Hans has, you may be best advised to have the house you like checked out by a professional.

Good luck,

Burger
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Burger,

You are spot on, some developments are constructed to high standards,
I am no expert, but when you see a crappy house under construction alongside a good place it is pretty easy to see which will last longer. Obviously a dodgy builder can hide somethings, maybe HansMartin has advice on what to look for - very useful i think.
Problem is many people are buying these cheap 2 million baht new builds with no idea of what they are gonna get. If its cheap its is so for a reason - like buying a pair of shoes, you get what you pay for, you can be re-healing pretty soon! - It aint rocket science.