Building a kitchen island

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Building a kitchen island

Post by Ratsima »

We would like to have a small (100cm X 160cm) island built for our condo. Real wood. Granite or similar countertop. No plumbing or electrical needed. Drawers and a cabinet on one side. An overhang for sitting on the other side; something like the attached photo.

We took the specs to The Cabinet late last year, with an estimate promised in a few days. After a month, nothing, so we called and they seem to have forgotten all about us. An estimate is promised "real soon now".

Any other place we should look for this very small job?
KitchenCounter.png
KitchenCounter.png (102.42 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Re: Kitchen Island

Post by splitlid »

Give Jeff from Authentica a call

his showroom is on Phetkasem road, going North, past the Pala u traffic lights and its the next turning on the left (the road takes you back up to the train track roundabout) and his shop is on the corner. :)
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: Kitchen Island

Post by Ratsima »

Thanks. He has a nice website which you can find by searching for "Authentica Hua Hin". He also has a FB page.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Building a kitchen island

Post by Pagey »

I've not been in for a while but Kvik (Danish I think) had some nice kitchens at a variety of prices. Going North from town just past the petrol station (Esso?) on the right. Worth a look to compare.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Help Me Understand….

Post by Ratsima »

We finally got an estimate for this small project. To be fair, I won't name the company.

They did a great job on the estimate which included a detailed drawing of what they propose, which is exactly what we want. They also provided an itemized list showing the cost of each separate item: the cabinet itself, the counter top, the handles, drawers, etc.

Now, here's what astounds me. For the cabinet alone they quote 56,800 baht. Recall that this is essentially a particle board box 150 X 100 X 90 and doesn't include the counter top, drawers, etc. If the box is made of rubber wood the cost goes up to 72,000 baht.

How is it possible that this is so expensive?

Last year we had a company in Bangkok build a sideboard for our bedroom. The dimensions are nearly identical. It is made of real wood. (They say it's teak, but I don't believe it and don't care.) It has six drawers with very nice hardware. The workmanship is first class. The total cost? 15,000 baht.

Why the huge difference?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I know of craftsmen here in the states that, if busy, will bid high under the idea that if they get it it's very profitable, if not, no problem.

Good luck!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Post by splitlid »

small job, higher price, usually. :D
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

splitlid wrote:small job, higher price, usually. :D
Except that this small job at 56,800 baht is the same size as the other small job we got for 15,000 baht….
buksida

Post by buksida »

If you're willing to travel we got our entire kitchen built by a company in Prachuap for less than your quote just for the island.

The granite top for the island we bought in Tha-Yang for about 7,000 baht.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Thanks buksida. We've decided to just order from the Bangkok firm with whom we've dealt before. We've yet to determine whether or not they will deliver to Cha Am. But, since they deliver to Korat, we assume they do.

But, FWIW, can you let me know the name and location of the place that built your kitchen?
buksida

Post by buksida »

I no longer have their number but heading south, go through both sets of lights on the highway at Prachuap and do a u-turn when you see the Mitsubishi dealers on the right, it is a couple of hundred meters after the showroom.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Thanks.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

We received a bid from a firm recommended earlier in this thread. This one came in at about one third the price of the first estimate. Of course, this is good for us as it is in line with what we expected to pay. But, it certainly deepens the mystery of why the first estimate seems so far out of line.
istamndaru
Novice
Novice

Post by istamndaru »

thank you