Gutters on Two Storey Property

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Ken57
Amateur
Amateur

Gutters on Two Storey Property

Post by Ken57 »

Good Evening All

Having read the forum search results for "gutters". :banghead: , the reason I am enquiring is as follows
The wife and I have had a two storey property built in my wifes home area ( near siblings etc) near Roiet, primarily as a bolt hole for my wife ( and I if still kicking). The builder began to show signs of being a " delboy" :cuss: so he was paid off and shoved off.
The property is 90% complete,one thing missing are GUTTERS ( and there is a lot of roof)
Please can anyone with any opinions regarding whether or not they should be fitted and the type etc.
Reply to this Topic, my gut feeling is they should be fitted.
I thank you all
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Gutters on Two Storey Property

Post by Bristolian »

As you will have seen, most Thai homes don't have guttering and survive pretty well without them.

I did install guttering partially at my house for a number of reasons but mostly to protect the entrances from the waterfalls that ensue during a tropical rainstorm. For me it was important that flooding was kept away from the foundations of the house and therefore the downpipes direct the roof water directly to the drainage system.

Most Thai guttering is galvanised and of a size that will easily handle the heaviest of downpours. My advice would be to go with the galvanised version and don't be tempted by the UPVC offerings as these are generally smaller sections and although they are supposed to be resistant to UV light my experience is that it will deteriorate over time.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I also decided to install guttering so that I could direct the rainfall where I wanted it rather than let the water go where it wanted to. My car port has several uses, and it is important that it doesn't get wet.

I had galvanised installed 3 years ago - I didn't know any better, and went with what was on offer. The price was very good. however, it didn't last, and I've just replaced it with stainless a few weeks ago. It costs more, but having researched it more this time, it has a much longer life, and looks much better.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I can never understand why the Thais are so reluctant to install guttering. (I think they call them "lim nam". sp)
Any building needs to have the roof run off drained away from the foundations, or it will lead to subsidence, it is not rocket science.

Stainless steel is not that much more expensive, and it should never need replacing. Run the downpipes into at least 3 inch PVC and bury them underground into 1 or 2 concrete rings without bottoms buried below the ground level.

Most village areas will have a contractor that just does gutters and / or drains.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Go with Stainless Steel if you plan to have the house for a few years. I have Galvanixed guttering and after a year and a half can already see where it is rusting. Stainless Steel is substantially more but would have never needed replacing. Don't know how much longer mine will last but will replace it with SS when it does go.

A friend nearby has PVC and is very pleased with it. I am not convinced that it is as durable or as long lasting as SS.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

We installed galvanized on our house in 2006. When we sold it in 2013 the guttering was still perfect. Maybe that was because we had it painted to match the house trim where it was mounted or maybe there are different grades of galvanized?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Go for stainless steel Ken, you won't regret it.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Ken57
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ken57 »

Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to reply,I certainly would not risk UPVC I doubt they would
stand up to the sun.
I wonder those who replied that have fitted Stainless Steel Gutters ( Big Boy and Nereus ) Is there an obvious
way that you can tell if the gutters are genuine stainless steel ?
( I am not comfortable taking a strangers word for it it ) eg are stainless steel gutters magnetic ?
Does anyone have any recent examples of price meter for gutters and or down pipes ?

thank you all
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Don't write off PVC completely. I've had the below on the west side of the house in direct sun noon to dusk for 8 years now and they're fine. I'll post someday should they fail. Pete

http://www.windsor.co.th/rain_gutter_productsEN.php
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I wonder those who replied that have fitted Stainless Steel Gutters ( Big Boy and Nereus ) Is there an obvious
way that you can tell if the gutters are genuine stainless steel ?
Well, it is very obvious when you look at it: it is a lot more shiny and polished than galvanised. And yes, it is not magnetic.

The only problem that I can see with PVC is having someone that knows what they are doing to install it, which may be a problem in Village areas. At the time that I used it, PVC was not available. It is now and they have a complete "system", with all types of fittings and mounting hardware.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

My galvanized guttering looks fine on the outside after 1.5 years and without any paint. Get up on the ladder and look inside and you can see rust spots all over the bottom. Just don't know how long it will take for them to rust through completely. May be many years more but just don't know. Wish I had SS as would not have had to consider it as a problem.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Mine took approximately 3 years to rust right through. However, the galvanised on the car port has been up longer, and is not showing ant signs of rust. So I guess, as with most products, there is good and bad.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Must have ours up for 3 years or so now with no real signs of rust etc. Surely repairs can be made using "cold galvanising" materials such as "Galvafroid"? Are similar products available in Thailand?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

My house has guttering on the front but not the rear for some reason, so I am going to remedy that. I've rang one company who fitted my neighbours house who quoted galvanised 5'' 250 Baht per metre and 6'' 300 Baht per metre. Stainless was 700 Baht per metre for 5'' and 900 Baht per metre for 6''.

The front is galavanised and the house is about 6 years old with no visible rust on the outside but I will get up on the ladders tomorrow and check the inside for rust and if OK I will stick with the galvanised.

Anyone know if those prices are fair/the norm ?
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Just received a quotation for coated galvanised with a 20 year guarantee by http://WWW.AQUALINEASIA.COM at the supply and fix rate of 790 Baht per meter + fittings + travelling.