why is condo electric supply so expensive

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
nil
Professional
Professional

why is condo electric supply so expensive

Post by nil »

We are currently renting a house and paying the standard rate directly to PEA of around 4 baht/unit. All the condo's we have looked at to move to are stating the electric is 8 baht/unit. Is there any real justification for this?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: why is condo electric supply so expensive

Post by Dannie Boy »

nil wrote:We are currently renting a house and paying the standard rate directly to PEA of around 4 baht/unit. All the condo's we have looked at to move to are stating the electric is 8 baht/unit. Is there any real justification for this?
No
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Yes, a perfectly obvious one, the thai tradition of sticky fingers --the landlord wants his cut.
domino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by domino »

I own a condo at Seacraze in Khao Takiab. We are billed at 4 baht per unit for electricity. The bill arrives directly from the electric company. No rip off here.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

one of the popular housing village developments,told me that they do a similar thing.Reason is they have a reduced yearly maintenance fee,so the owners who only come for 5 months of the year aren't too out of pocket,the ones who are here all year round and use the facilities,pay extra through the extra tariff on water and elec.
makes sense to me unless you are renting the property...probably are similar system in place for condos
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I've known of more than one housing development that did that, and with some it went into the developer's pocket rather than being of any benefit to the property owners. It's another thing that should be researched before buying or renting.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

domino wrote:I own a condo at Seacraze in Khao Takiab. We are billed at 4 baht per unit for electricity. The bill arrives directly from the electric company. No rip off here.
You get a prize !!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I would guess this is because the overall condo developer has a bulk supply and them sub-meters to individual condo owner and hence can charge what they want. This is exactly what happens where we have a shop, There is nothing to be done unless you can have a direct PEA connection.

By the way the same happens with metered water.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali