Moving in before paying for house - your thoughts?

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: Moving in before paying for house - your thoughts?

Post by laphanphon »

Don't understand any delays. Simple, they transfer money same day as going to land office, it's theirs, and not until both done. That's common sense.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

My rule of thumb for any non-trivial financial deal is the faster the other parties want to proceed, the slower and more carefully I examine the situation.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Wise words, Homer.

In the final analysis the buyers decided not to proceed, a decision I respect. For me, the agent is at fault for setting unrealistic expectations and allowing the buyers to think they could do some kind of "rent-to-buy" scheme. This was never an option.

So, with up front legal fees, courier costs for Power of Attorney documents and a weeks' condo rental, I'm into about 80,000 THB. This does not including wasting a lot of people's time. What are the chances that I'll see anything of the mystical 100,000 THB "non-refundable" deposit the buyers paid the agent? I think we all know the answer to that one!

Time to chalk it up to another of life's lessons learned: when considering a property agent, choose very carefully.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Run don't walk, quickly from that particular Agent person. :cuss: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

laphanphon wrote:Don't understand any delays. Simple, they transfer money same day as going to land office, it's theirs, and not until both done. That's common sense.
Yes and no. It is a statutory requirement that on the transfer of a house a 30 day public notice has to be given if the land is owned by a different party. Even if I was selling to a Thai national, since I own the house and someone else owns the land, the 30 day statutory notice would still have to be given.

However, if a Thai persons owns the land and house together, and then transfers the land and house to a Thai person (or Thai company), this can be done in one day.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

What idiot buys a house without the land........LOL.....???
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

laphanphon wrote:What idiot buys a house without the land........LOL.....???
Any foreigner who wants to own a house in Thailand...
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Leasehold is very common in England (but not Scotland)
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

hhfarang wrote:
Any foreigner who wants to own a house in Thailand...
I think the man said there's one born every day. If you want to own....condo, though good luck with that.
dundrillin wrote:
Leasehold is very common in England (but not Scotland)
What's that, a left over from serfdom days of past. Royals / elite that idiots worship because they are so much better and smarter..........LOL. Well, no doubt smarter. And they still control the peasants ........ who would have thought......pretty sad.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

LeaseHold......actually had to Google that, and damn, people actually do that.

In reality, as the term states "lease"hold, you don't own anything. Sooner or later, you must leave. So where does the ownership come in. You're simply leasing / renting. Not like you can take the house or flat with you.......LOL
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

A lot of leases in the UK are for 999 years. mainly in flats (apartment if American). It's only really in Central London that leasehold flats are sold for much shorter periods and is confined to the wealthy.

I have bought and sold two leasehold flats in the UK with no problems. Nowt to do with any elitism, just the way it is.
Talk is cheap