House Letting Price War

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Robee
Rookie
Rookie

House Letting Price War

Post by Robee »

There seems to be a price war going on in Hua Hin at the moment ,
Lots of new Houses up for Letting people that want to rent for a month or more can have a great bargain , so do you buy or do you rent ?
The more houses that are up for Letting , it seems the better the price war
is getting.

A lot of agents know this, so if you push them a little, the price comes down
a bit , so good news for people that just want to rent whether it be for a long lease, may be for six months or even less, i.e., holiday rental.

So, time to start thinking. and what are the comments from people who have not yet purchased a property and from people who have purchased.

Would you still 'buy' or 'rent'

Robbie

:roll:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Robee,

Lots on this issue on this thread:

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1667

There is a link in the OP to another thread with even more on the same subject.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Personally I think the rental prices asked by these "new house owners" and agents are way too high. They're aimed at holiday makers who think 500 quid a month is a good deal ... well for them I guess it is.

It all depends how long you're staying for, if its a couple of months holiday and you can afford it then go for it. If you're staying longer and looking at living here you can get an equivalent property rented at about a third of that price if you're willing to do a little research.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

budsida wrote:
They're aimed at holiday makers who think 500 quid a month is a good deal ... well for them I guess it is.
I've rented property for a one month period many times - never paid more than £150 for a 3 bed house with aircon upstairs & down. In fact, apart from the one time, on every other occasion, I've always paid less than £100.

Additionally, when I rent a house, its for between 6 and 8 people (children & adults) - a bit cosy, but it serves a purpose.

Having said that, when I move to Thailand, I will rent for the first year, whilst considering the wisdom of purchasing. When looking around at what was on offer in Estate Agent windows during a recent visit, I came to the conclusion that they are significantly inflating property prices - greed is certainly a major factor trying to capture higher rates of commission. Not a bad thing if you're selling, but is anybody daft enough to pay the inflated prices being asked?

I certainly found several properties where the vendor was quite prepared to sell for about 60% of the fee quoted in Estate Agent literature for comparative properties.

So getting back to Robee's original posting, I would recommend speaking direct to vendors rather than using an Estate Agent. That way, I'm sure you can negotiate a price that makes buying as attractive as renting. However, don't buy the first property you are offered - be prepared to rent for a while, whilst waiting for the right deal.

I think you'll find the price war applies to both purchase and renting.
Robee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Robee »

Thank you Jaime will have a look at this thread, also thanks guys for the
comments.

Will see were this thread will go from here.

Robee
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

House prices at the moment are stupid. They have gone far beyond what they are actually worth.
If you can buy the land yourself and have a house built as this is much cheaper but ultimately more hassle.
You should always rent before you buy to see if you actually like it here, its fine for 2 weeks on holiday but living here is a totally different matter.
Beware - There are a lot of ferrang here that have set themselves up as real estate agents, don't assume they all know what they are talking about!!
Hopefully the market will top out soon and prices return to a reasonable level. Don't compare prices with the UK remember this is Thailand, keep a level head.
www.35mmview.com
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Rental Prices

Post by JimmyGreaves »

There is also the problem of 1 rental price for Thai and another for farang.

My girlfriend went hunting just recently and 2 of the landlords quoted much higher prices for farang + Thai.
TIT :roll:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Jimmy,

Sorry, but I've got to ask, why does she declare you? I normally get my daughter to sort everything out before I get there. When I arrive, my daughter has already taken possession of the keys, and has the fridge filled with a few cold ones.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

She doesn't declare me mate, just seemed to end up that way on a couple of occasions. Maybe because a lone female looking for a 2 bedroomed place the landlords just said for farang more money. Happened about 1/3 of the time to her. She got bloody angry I can assure you was still angry after when telling me the story. We are still on the lookout.

Cheers
theword1
Rookie
Rookie

where?

Post by theword1 »

where would be a good place to look for a reasonably priced two or three bed house to rent , which developments would you look at , I think that many of the rental houses seem expensive in comparision to the sale price it would seem like a very high return on the initial cost of the house ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I would suggest (as I have in several other threads) that you look in Soi Sarawat (soi 80) or behind the Grand Hotel (between soi 86 and 88 ). I've always had a good deal there, and the neighbours have been quite good as well. There is a nice mix of Thai and Farang.

There's usually plenty of property for rent in the above areas.