The Thailand farming and cultivation thread

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Re: The Thailand farming and cultivation thread

Post by PeteC »

If you had local avocados at below import prices I bet the local restaurants would be banging your door down, perhaps Villa as well. Just a thought. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I never thought of an Avocado being something you could grow in Thailand but this research paper shows it's possible:
http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6902e/x6902e0b.htm

There would be no market for them in Issan but if you were somewhere near a tourist area it might be different.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Like so many things here that are new to Thai taste, it takes some persuading. Like us when asked to try something like Pla Ra. :shock: I served some to the wife and kid the other week with a little chicken salad scooped into the holes left by the seed and they really liked them. The daughter says they taste like peanut butter. :D The wife was a bit cool but when told her they cut bad cholesterol by an average of 20% she changed her tune. I think when I whip up some guacamole salsa and spike it with some Thai chilies, she'll be sold. :idea: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I just don't "get" Avocado. I don't see what the fuss is about. :?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

BaaBaa. wrote:I just don't "get" Avocado. I don't see what the fuss is about. :?
Yeah, neither did I many years ago. As you start to be inflicted with advancing age syndrome you tend to look for things that are good for you and this is one of them, and not bad tasting. Pete :cheers:

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10 ... cados.html
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

California grows lots of avocados. I love eating with anything, salads, burgers, omelets, etc, or plain with some lemon juice! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

prcscct wrote: and not bad tasting.
That's what I don't get, it's not like it's amazing, I'd rather have a Banana or a bit of Pineapple.
There's better tasting fruits. Avocado should be renamed "Meh"
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Local avocados have been available for several years. I think from Chiang Mai
They are usually quite large and not very tasty. Makro has them at around 40 Baht per kilo also available in Golden Place.

Question for the green fingered.
Why are apples and oranges not grown here? What about sprouts parsnips swedes and different variety's of potatoes ? These are all imported and very expensive. Cannot false seasons be created if this is the answer?
Would refrigerated greenhouses not be possible?
In Holland they heat huge glasshouses to simulate the tropics.
Surely some form of solar power could make this viable and profitable?
no more dePreston
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

BaaBaa. wrote:I just don't "get" Avocado. I don't see what the fuss is about. :?
I must admit that I didn't know that they even existed until I was about thirty!
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

STEVE G wrote:
I must admit that I didn't know that they even existed until I was about thirty!
So you've never tried a bacon & avocado sandwich ??!! :o
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, citrus is an odd thing here. They grow what I call a tangerine but they call it an orange, and a lime that they call a lemon. If they can grow those I'm sure big juicy naval oranges and normal juice oranges and tangy yellow lemons would be possible. Also grapefruit, they already have it's first cousin, the pomelo (sum oh).

Again, probably local market driven and not for the tourist trade or export. Seems they're happy with what they already have. There must be an opportunity in there somewhere, especially for export. Pete :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

barrys wrote:
STEVE G wrote:
So you've never tried a bacon & avocado sandwich ??!! :o
No! is it any good?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

prcscct wrote:Yes, citrus is an odd thing here. They grow what I call a tangerine but they call it an orange, and a lime that they call a lemon. If they can grow those I'm sure big juicy naval oranges and normal juice oranges and tangy yellow lemons would be possible. Also grapefruit, they already have it's first cousin, the pomelo (sum oh).

Again, probably local market driven and not for the tourist trade or export. Seems they're happy with what they already have. There must be an opportunity in there somewhere, especially for export. Pete :cheers:
Yes, they have those small lime things but apart from that I haven't seen much citrus fruit at all.
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

There must be an opportunity in there somewhere, especially for export
I was thinking more local and market garden type affair.( 10 - 20 rai?)
The guy that bred the turkeys in Hua Hin was quite successfully until he said the Thai government prevented him bringing eggs from England because of bird flu threat. He said this was essential as local and cross breeds did not work?
A similar Farrang demand product ordered online a delivered whether it be good aged steak or a seasonal vegetable or fruit would be welcomed.
In my opinion it is better to supply the Farrang market and not Thai. No jealousy issues. :wink:
no more dePreston
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

BaaBaa. wrote:
prcscct wrote: and not bad tasting.
That's what I don't get, it's not like it's amazing, I'd rather have a Banana or a bit of Pineapple.
There's better tasting fruits. Avocado should be renamed "Meh"
There is a number of varieties of avocado and the taste ranges from so-so t. o delicious (IMHO) Usually the smaller, the better and tastier.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.