What age to give your kids mobile phones?

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Re: What age to give your kids mobile phones?

Post by PeteC »

Human trafficking is alive and well here Mags as you know. The papers don't carry many stories about missing kids, at least not the English language papers, but it probably happens daily somewhere here. Two daughters now, one raised in the States years ago, and now this one here. I am much more uncomfortable and fearful here. A good looking mixed race girl is a target for sure, and once they're gone here, chances are slim to none that you'll ever see them again.

My thoughts often go back to that British girl in Portugal (Madeline?) Her parents didn't kill her, she's in some middle east country as a slave toy for someone...if not dead. Pure 100% speculation but what if she had had a cell phone with SOS feature to alert her parents eating at the restaurant? :idea: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Pinkploy, if you're trying to get into Nightcrawlers, lower your expectations; if you're hoping to sell something, forget it; and in the unlikely case that you want to become a participating member in the forum, slow down and stop pissing everyone off.
This is the way
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Ah, yet another one hurrying to reach 10 posts and then finding out, it just wasn't worth it, eh PP?
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think its about time now, eldest went walkabout last night without telling us. Nokia brick it'll be though, nothing with games.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Trouble with giving them that style of phone is actually being able to encourage them to take it out and about with them
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yeah, he already has friends in his class with the latest iPhones ... I cant keep up with these Thai hi-so, material driven parents.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
TJ420
Novice
Novice

Post by TJ420 »

Hi i have not posted much on the forum ( have 3kids 7y 2y and 5mnd, so dont have much time. Other than reading the active topics some times. The oldest son has had a pad for a couple of years now, and i can see big diference in maths, problem solving, typing and so on. He has 2 memory cards, one for school/learning related. And one with games, he gets to play the games before bedtime. If he has completed a number of puzzels and or relative apps. There are many good ones for free on the play store. I have put a code on data connectivety so he can not acsess the web, wtithout me knowing what and when he is doing it. Technologi is moving forward fast. I think the kids should bee comfortable with using it, as soon as they can read. Its a good motivator for getting him too do homework and other chores. He also got a basic phone with him to school and other activitys away fron the house. It is blocked to the numers i have put in (for safety reasons).
TJ.
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

In BKK my nieces have their own cell at about 10, with limited features, and texting only, No data.
the Nephews started at about age 12 but got to take a spare Cell from the house when they were
about 9 years old. Kind of a must in BKK.
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.